IBS

Options
I was just wondering if anybody else on here has IBS and how you cope with that and trying to lose weight at the same time? I know some people lose a lot of weight unintentionally when they get it, but I went the other way! Anyone else?

Replies

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Have you researched things like gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance. You may try elimination diet and see when the trouble pops up. My mom struggles with it too. She also goes the other way(meaning gains weight). My grandmother had Chrohn's and probably celiac. Most Dr's wont even consider the possibility when you are overweight because its old school thinking that these problems make you lose weight. The fail to remember that overweight people can be just as malnourished.

My mom has had some improvement when she takes probiotic(she just takes acidophiilus). I think she'd have it mostly gone if she could try the more costly ones that have greater live bacteria and a group of different ones.

Good luck! It does seem like it could be tough to balance out.
  • losingnow
    Options
    I have a severe case of IBS and have for 14 years now. I have attacks almost daily. It is very hard to cope with and some days just feel like giving up. I also went the other way with IBS and gained a bunch of weight. I have now, through this program lost 16 pounds and my ibs has started getting a little better with each pound I lose. But it is definately not easy. With so many trigger foods, whole grains, most fruits, and veggies, basically anything healthy, and starches being the one thing that I can eat without trouble (potatoes, donuts ext...) It has been really hard. But I have just learned to watch my portion size and exercise when I feel up to it. I hope you have great success with this program. I wish you all the best! If you ever need or want to chat about IBS let me know. I am always looking for a friend who knows what I am going through.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought of the issues it can bring up with exercise. :( I have to get my workout in early before I take my BP pill because the water pill ingredient the Dr added to it last year STILL makes me run for the bathroom for hours after I take it. I can't be doing jumping jacks during that time. lol

I wish you both luck I just knew the struggle my mom and grandmother had(grandma passed a few years back her bowels were completely dead they said)/have. I am fortunate my bowels are regular. Since I've started eating whole foods I go daily where I used to go every 2-3 days.
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I dont have such a severe problem as you talked about, but it can be pretty miserable depending on lots of things but mostly stress. But especially since it means the last thing I can think about is exercise! I feel silly telling people that it made me gain weight, but like you, often the safest thing for me to eat when i'm not well is something starchy. I've been to a homeopath and I really don't think I'm allergic to anything although obviously coffee and alcohol make it worse, but its true that the healthier I am, the better I feel (usually) so that's good motivation!