Thyroid question!!

mandijo
mandijo Posts: 618 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've posted before on the forums about working by butt of 6-7 days a week, eating my calories as I need to and only seeing the scale move like .2. I measured myself and there was a little loss in inches, but not a ton. I started in October with a 53%body fat and as of yesterday am down to a 41% body fat. So either my fat is turning into muscle which is why I'm not seeing the scale move, or there has to be another answer. People keep mentioning my thyroid, and while I've heard this can be an issue, I was wondering if anyone knows what symptoms you have for an underactive thyroid. I don't want to jump the gun if there is another reason for my slow weight loss, but I'd like to know what to look for in case that is an issue. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!

Replies

• My mom is hypothyroid and this website is super useful!! Check out the symptoms and risks. But the best way to know is to ask your doctor for the blood tests.

http://thyroid.about.com/
  • Hi,
    i have a under active thyroid, my symptoms before i was diagnosed were weight gain, loss of appetite, brittle hair and nails, tiredness, mood swings and bloated face , panic attacks and heart palpitations.

even on medication i struggle to loose weight, but im not tired any-more and my panic attacks are nearly non existent .

if you need any more info let me know
  • clementine66
    clementine66 Posts: 9 Member
    I have an underactive thyroid and my symptoms were being cold all the time, very tired all the time, and hair falling out. I went to the doctor, had a simple blood test and now have been on medication for about five years. I still have slow weight loss, but I havent gained any weight and feel alot better with medication.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    There are a lot of symptoms for an underactive thyroid and they can sometimes be mistaken for other things. Some of the symptoms are weight issues, excessive tiredness, dry skin, brittle nails and hair, depression, but there are lots more. I would recommend looking it up on a reputable site. A lot more people have thyroid issues than are diagnosed because as I said the symptoms are often mistaken for other illnesses. It is a simple blood test to have it checked and you can find out in a matter of days.

Hope that helps and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask as I have hypothyroidism (for 20 years so far) and while I am not an expert I can at least share my experience for comparison if you'd like!

Datenshi
  • An underactive thyroid can cause issues with weight, but most weight issues are not thyroid related.

The signs of an underactive thyroid can be nonspecific such as fatigue, weight gain, intolerance to cold temperature, hair loss and can have more specific findings such as bradycardia (slow heart rate). The best way to know for sure is have your doctor check a simple blood test (TSH as a screening exam). There is a certain percentage of false negatives, but that is a small number overall.

Even though I am a physician, I am only giving this advice as general information and this does not substitute having a conversation about these issues with your personal physician.

You've lost 10% body fat and that is a huge change, so you should be complimented! Gaining muscle will only help your metabolism in the long run, so keep up the good work.

Good luck!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Thanks everybody! I'm thinking that I probably don't have this condition as you guys are telling me the symptoms! None of them seem to apply. I'm hoping that it's just the fat converting to muscle. We shall see! Thanks again!!
This discussion has been closed.