P90X: weight loss / muscle gain

Options
1 week and 4 days into P90X, and I am seeing zero weight loss. Partly concerned because I've had to strive for a huge increase in calories and protein and I am literally at a 2-3 week standstill.

However, I think I might have some comfort -- my upper-arm measurements changed, from day 1 to day 12, by plus-3/4 inch. I was going to wait till day 30 to do any measurments at all, but I was getting worried about the stagnation on the scale. (I am really trying to be honest with my measurements, but there seems to be no doubt whatsoever that they have grown a little. I even avoided doing the 12-day measurement until at least 8 hours after a workout, trying to be as honest and consistent with the day 1 conditions as I can be.)

Should I even be worried at this point about weight loss? I am trying to take the philosophy that my body is simply "getting ready" to melt the fat.

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You did not gain muscle in a week in a half. Even if you were eating at a calorie surplus.

Most likely, your muscles are retaining water because they're actually being used. This will lead to no weight loss or a slight gain.

Check again in 4 weeks.
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am at day 72. I lost 8 lbs pretty quick towards the end of the first month. Weight hovered around 200 for next 30 days. Finally started moving again in 3rd phase but have "lost" only 10 lbs total to date. However, I have lost inches everywhere and have definitely gained muscle size and definition (I have a V again in the upper torso). I did not follow nutrition guide just watched calories - basically not really dieting at all. Even though I am "only" down 10 lbs it has averaged to a little over 1lb a week and everyone notices the difference. Weight loss is tricky with P90X because if you are really doing the exercises you should gain muscle density which could "offset" any fat loss from the pure scale perspective.
  • ckintigh
    ckintigh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am on day 10 and have actually GAINED a half pound. I have been very honest with my calories and have stayed within my calori requirements. I do have a scale, however, that measures percentage of body fat, and I did lose 1% body fat which equates to 1-1/2 pound fat loss. I am not going to worry about my weight loss, as much as concentrating on my fat percentage loss. If you don't have a scale that measures fat percentage, you might think about getting one. It does help the attitude when you can see "fat loss" even when you don't see "weight loss." Good luck and keep up the good work! Congrats on your increased arm measurements!!!
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Whether it is muscle growth, which you mention is not the case, or muscular water retention, it is reassuring. I can live with that explanation, plus I probably chose the wrong word when I said, "growth." The water retention fits my performance gain-rate observations.

Anyway, I will keep weighing in, but won't be focussing on weight loss for a while. And I'll take some joy out of bigger water-infused muscles and try to enjoy what I hope is the initial priming process for fat conversion.