Breastfeeding.......confused

Options
So I'm breastfeeding a 5 month old and am a little confused how to account for it in myfitnesspal.
I just found out about the breastfeeding entry in foods that deducts 300 calories, so I've entered that.. .... but, my daily calorie intake is entered as 1600 because that is what I have been told breastfeeding moms need to consume. so am I accounting for the breastfeeding twice. can't really wrap my head around it. should I only do one or the other????

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Only do one or the other. If you set your caloric goals to adjust for nursing, then don't add it in with your food. :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Here's a good, short FAQ on dieting while breastfeeding, from Kellymom which is evidence based articles (you can find additional info under "Research" at the bottom, if you like) regarding all things breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

In addition to the info there, I'd just suggest being mindful of your babe's wet diapers & you're good to go. :)
  • sandyrff
    Options
    Don't add do one or the other.
  • hjennings83
    Options
    I didn't know there was an option to have it configured for you. I just added it myself. Where do you find the option? I'm a breastfeeding mama as well. :)
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying it adds 300 calories extra for you to eat and minus out 300 calories too? If that the case its because breastfeeding burns up those extra calories. If you didn't eat them you might go under the 1200 minum. I hope that answers your question
  • jacque1109
    Options
    UHHH--- I know- it is confusing--- I'm still BFing my 14 month old (only a few times a day though) so, I don't know if I should add or what---- all I know is that this weight is coming off SUPER SLOW!!!!
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    I am also a breastfeeding momma (feel free to add me as a friend). I recently found a listing under foods "generic breastfeeding mother by ounce". Since my daughter is now 9 months old and takes most of her milk through a sippy cup with me pumping except for naptime and bedtime and the occassional midnight feeding, I have a pretty good idea of how many ounces of milk my body produces per day. It is usually over the 300 calories, ranging anywhere from 300 - 600 calories a day, depending on how much milk your baby needs. When I first started MFP I only added the 300 calories and found that my daughter was waking up more often during the night to nurse, and seemed hungrier during the day. If there is any way for you to track an average of ounces this may be a more accurate way to add back the calories. (btw, you should reset those to 1200, don't add the calories both ways.) Other than that, just know that you are mommy, no one knows your baby better than you, and no one can take better care of your baby than you can. If you or your baby are hungry, than eat. Just eat healthier and smarter, drink plenty of water. the weight may come off a little slower until you are done BFing, but ultimately you are doing what is best for your baby and yourself by nursing, and the weight will eventually go if you are really determined. You can do it! And congratulations on the baby.
  • gemlynch
    gemlynch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :)
  • gemlynch
    gemlynch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Once I went back and recalculated my goals it made perfect sense. I hadn't realized everyone was given a 1200 calorie goal. Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Once I went back and recalculated my goals it made perfect sense. I hadn't realized everyone was given a 1200 calorie goal. Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

No, not everyone is given a 1200 calorie goal. Your goal depends on your personal BMR + (non exercise) activity level vs. the change in weight you want to see each week. For example, if your BMR + activity level (sedentary, very active, whatver) = 2500 calories per day to maintain and you want to lose 1 pound per week, MFP will subtract the necessary 500 calories per day for a goal of 2000 calories per day. To THAT you will want to add your breastfeeding calories, be it 300 or whatever.