HEAVY

Options
Has anyone seen the show HEAVY...what are your thoughts? Is this exploitation of obese people or really helping them?

Replies

• misskelly121
    Options
    I just found that show a couple weeks ago and I love it. I think its inspiring because they are normal people and you see that they can do it and fit the changes into their lifestyles, so I should be able to as well. You also can see that its a struggle and it doesn't always go exactly as planned. I like that they are in a monitored environment for the first month then they go home to do it on their own after they learn the tools. Its definitely taught me some stuff too along the way. I love it!!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i love that show. i think its helping them a lot. without the show, im sure they would die. the episode i watched had a guy who was so big he could only walk for 30 secs then rest for 2 mins. after they helped him he lost 100 some lbs and could finally do things for himself instead of just laying in bed and eating all day.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i love that show. i think its helping them a lot. without the show, im sure they would die. the episode i watched had a guy who was so big he could only walk for 30 secs then rest for 2 mins. after they helped him he lost 100 some lbs and could finally do things for himself instead of just laying in bed and eating all day.
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    I think its a pretty interesting show...it makes me so sad though....I also noticed they were giving a big girl a tummy tuck when she clearly had alot more weight to lose...I didnt know you could have a tummy tuck if your overweight that much?
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching the show. There's no money at the end, just real people losing it for themselves. I think it shows other people out there who are struggling with weight that you can do it.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i love that show! im so mad bc i forgot to dvr the last episode..luckily it repeats on sunday. i think shows like this are very inspirational!
  • Dmonique85
    Options
    I agree...I haven't been watching it as much as I want, but I like the idea of it MUCH more than The Biggest Loser. I think that support is the biggest thing that helps people to weight loss & that they are trying to save their lives. I like that it's not a competition that is just stretching limits and that if you do well you can feel good about it instead of worrying about how that compares to someone else's weight loss.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I think its a pretty interesting show...it makes me so sad though....I also noticed they were giving a big girl a tummy tuck when she clearly had alot more weight to lose...I didnt know you could have a tummy tuck if your overweight that much?

I've watched two episodes where they've done that for the women - and it drives me bonkers. I believe all they are doing is removing excess skin, not reattaching the stomach muscles and removing skin like in most tummy tucks - but still. More than likely they will just end up with more excess skin since they still have so far to go.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great show. It focuses on their addictions and makes them come face to face with what got them to that point. Many of us need that type of purging. Permanent weight loss is not just about exercise, it is about the mind and soul as well. There isn't a lot of blatant product placement in this show compared to The Biggest Loser.
  • anniebnannie
    anniebnannie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I really LIKE this show. It seems really REAL - and these folks are working it I get inspired watching HEAVY even more than The Biggest Loser. It's not a "game" - it's saving their lives. Anything can be seen as exploitation.... it's all in how you want to see it I think... Keep up the good work by the way!
  • angie718
    Options
    I enjoy the show. I see new exercises on their and then I try them...it also inspires me...if some who is 3 times my weight can do this...then there is no reason why I can't.

I do like this better than the Biggest Loser. The Biggest Loser annoys me. I feel like the show sets them up for failure. I hate how they have to take their shirts off to weigh in and the woman have to wear the spandex and sports bras...I find it unnecessary.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like both shows. In the end both are saving lives. Just because they don't show it on the biggest loser the contestants do go to therapy as well. I like the game part of the Biggest Loser. I guess its my competitive nature.

I would like to see if the people on Heavy continue with their regimen after the lights are off and the cameras are gone though. That has yet to be shown. Maybe on the last ep of the season they will revisit everyone to show us their progress.
  • kellibear2
    kellibear2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it. I also like MTv's I used to be fat. I find it inspiring.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would like to see the people's updates as well. i know we can check it out online, but I'm always on mfp. LOL
  • SRQTim
    Options
    I've been meaning to try and catch it, looked pretty good!
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like the show, but I was wondering about the excess skin removal possibly being to early. I actually joined MFP after seeing the 1st show.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Love it!

I think it exploits obese people much less than shows like The Biggest Loser do. Where they parade them around in the smallest outfit possible and then if they don't lose at ridiculous speeds they're kicked off. Where does that person go from there? Home to try by themselves, or home to eat their emotions and feel like a failure?

I also think that since obesity is such a huge problem, its good for a show like Heavy to demonstrate what people can do - even morbidly obese people - even outside of that controlled kick-start environment.

I'm on board disagreeing with the excess skin removal. I mean, I can see why she wants it, but when you have like 50-80 lbs MORE to lose, you do have to kind of wonder why they would willingly agree to do the surgery twice - which they'll most likely have to.

I missed Monday's but I'm going to watch it On Demand as soon as its up.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the show HEAVY...what are your thoughts? Is this exploitation of obese people or really helping them?

It is most definitely not exploitation because they volunteered and agreed to participate... you cannot exploit someone who is there voluntarily.

The show frustrates me because I am left to wonder exactly how many of them are truly wanting a lifestyle change and better health verses just getting the weight off and going back to bad habits... I have had to turn off the tv before because I was so angry seeing someone boo hoo and cry about their weight and saying they want to change and then going through the drive thru and eating 10 hamburgers.

That may sound cold but the reason it angers me is because myself and many many many members on MFP have worked our a$$es off and really wanted a change.... members 300 pounds and 150 pounds alike. I'm just not sure how many of the participants are ready to stop making excuses and start getting busy, ya know?

Now- a documentary following a MFP start to goal would be a show I'd like to see!!!
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    I agree...I haven't been watching it as much as I want, but I like the idea of it MUCH more than The Biggest Loser. I think that support is the biggest thing that helps people to weight loss & that they are trying to save their lives. I like that it's not a competition that is just stretching limits and that if you do well you can feel good about it instead of worrying about how that compares to someone else's weight loss.

I like this! your right the whole competition aspect is out!
  • mrscjwilson
    Options

I've watched two episodes where they've done that for the women - and it drives me bonkers. I believe all they are doing is removing excess skin, not reattaching the stomach muscles and removing skin like in most tummy tucks - but still. More than likely they will just end up with more excess skin since they still have so far to go.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking...when they reach there goal arent they going to have more skin....and have to take another health risk for a "real" tummy tuck???