30 day shred problems

Options
I have been doing the 30DS and am having issues with some of the exercises; mainly the complex (arms & legs) exercises. The ones that cause me the most problems are the squat and press and side lunge and arm exercises. I can follow Natalie with the squat and side lunge (getting really low), but there is no variation for the arm portion which is where I am having the problem. I cannot for the life of me keep my arms up the entire time and during the side lunge there is no way I can even get my arms up. I have been making my own variations, such as raising one arm only during the side lunge or bringing my arms down during the squats (which she says not to do). I have also tried doing it without weights but doing the moves anyway. Btw I am using 5 lb weights (they are the lightest ones I have). Does anyone have any advice for me?

Replies

• lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would try it with no weights first... or buy some 3lb weights. Just so your arms can get used to being up and what not. Starting slow. I am doing it w/ 3 lb weights... it was hard at first, but got easier as I went along. Good luck!
  • brity77
    Options
    I am also doing 30 Day Shred, Level 1 and I have found myself to be having the same problems (even though I consider myself pretty in shape, it's still tough!) Like you, I also try just lifting one arm while doing the side lunges. I alternate between right, left, then do a couple with both arms and so on. As for the squats with the arm press, since she does say not to let your arms down, the only suggestion I would have is to use smaller weights. Sorry, not much help. But I do feel your pain! :) It's a good pain, though!!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think you need to lower the weight. 5 lb weight make the routines significantly harder. I know, I'm trying to use them on my second round of Shred. Try the 3lbs weight first and see how that feels. I am crap at the side lunges as well, I just make sure I don't bend my knee like she says and I try to stick my butt out to the back as much as I can but I don't go nearly as deep as Natalie. As for squats and arm raise. Try not to go as deep in the squats and if you can't do a press, just keep your arms straight up so you keep the tension. But really, try the 3lbs weight first. 5lbs are killers.
  • amstein18
    Options
    use water bottles as your "weights" so they aren't heavy but you're still getting the feeling of holding onto something during the exercises. i did that the first few times i did it & now i use 5lbs with ease.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    5lb weights are way too heavy!! I would never be able to do that. I got some cheap 1lb ones at Walmart and they are perfect. I think if you got the right weights, you'd have much better luck. I can do it with the lighter ones. It's still not easy, but I can get through it. Good luck!