What New Food Have You Tried & Surprisingly Loved?

Options

Replies

• HotMomma86
    Options
    Quinoa. I just purchased some the other day to go with a new Tofu recipe I had. It was my first time trying Tofu as well, but I wasn't a fan. I definitely like the quinoa though.
  • celestialanglz
    Options
    This is a boring answer, but I just tried Yoplait Light Apple Turnover today and it tastes just like dessert!!!!!!! I'm in love.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My most recent discoveries are beets, sweet potatoes and winter squash. I've been trying to eat more seasonal foods (hence all the winter veggies). I've never been a fan of squash or sweet potatoes. I found out that I actually love them....I just can't stand them made up sweet. Just some butter, and pepper and it's so good! I find that odd since I have a sweet tooth a mile long! It's refreshing to find things I enjoy without added sugars. Never had a beet before last month. I love the earthy flavor. I think my tastes are changing because this past summer I found I actually like the earthy flavor of mushrooms too (always hated them before). Learning to eat fish too...can't say I enjoy that yet though.
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Another vote for acorn squash. Next time, roast the seeds! I like them better than pumpkin seeds. The hulls are a bit softer. I just misted with olive oil, added a bit of Adobo seasoning, and roasted at 225 till they started popping, about 15 mins.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon! Tastes so yummy without all the fat and guilt of regular bacon :)
    careful it's full of sodium...

I am also in love with spaghetti squash.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Wow--there's alot of great ideas out there. Have always been "afraid" of hummus, but may just give it a try. Love squash but don't make it too often for my family (used to bake it and blend it into baby food for my daughter--store in freezer ice cube trays--but that's another topic I guess!) :)

OK--Kale Chips? Where would you even get these? Never tried soy milk, but the almond milk is good (vanilla flavor I've put in my coffee--YUM).

Thanks--and keep those ideas coming!

Kale chips is something you make, not something you buy. :happy:

You basically just toss torn up pieces of kale in olive oil until they are lightly coated, then bake them until they are crispy.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Fish!!!
    I decided to make myself eat fish one time a week..... I love it!!!! I can do it 2 or 3 times, no problem!! =)
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Fish!!!
    I decided to make myself eat fish one time a week..... I love it!!!! I can do it 2 or 3 times, no problem!! =)

oh and 'real' sweet potatoes, oh my gosh, they are incredible!!!! never will I open a can of them again!!!!!!!! yuck
  • starocelot
    starocelot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, but lost 55 pounds prior to joining. Just trying to lose those last difficult 5 pounds. I lost all my weight by making my own food and trying new things. I started my diet by cutting out all meat, but lately I have been adding some white meat back in. Last week I made a great all white turkey meatloaf by using eggbeaters, half the ketchup (low sodium), trader joe's 12 grain crackers, broccoli, peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, celery salt, basil, oregano, and a low fat mexican four cheese. It was a great hit! Friends who don't even like meatloaf, tried it and loved it!

Also, I have a sweet tooth so I've really been enjoying dark cocoa covered almonds and I also make all my homemade cookies/muffins/cakes with whole wheat, applesauce and splenda.

Quinoa is pretty good too, but make sure to soak it first for an hour so you can get rid of the bitter after taste. I've also been enjoying edamane...toss it salads or soups.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love mayonnaise and would only buy/use Hellmann's regular mayo. Well, I tried the Hellmann's made with extra virgin olive oil and absolutely love it!!!! :love: You have the full flavor of regular Hellmann's with about half the calories: Regular Hellmann's has 90 calories per TBSP, while the one with the olive oil only has 50 calories per TBSP.

I'm also liking the Chobani greek yogurt with the fruit on the bottom. Yum!!! :happy:
  • Rebeccamoore
    Rebeccamoore Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried dried mango...its delicious, tastes sweet but is healthy!:smooched:
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts!! Weird, I know!! I hated them as a kid, but I recently saw them in the frozen food section and I thought I'd give them a second go around. And YUMMMMMMMY!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Spaghetti squash
    Raw sugar snap peas
    Alfalfa sprouts
    and Vita Tops!!
  • SlimNana48
    Options
    I’ve recently tried Greek yogurt & I loved it I had the blueberries on the bottom. Also I'v tried Asparagus with a lite buttery sauce & it was good as well. I've never cooked asparagus & would love to learn how if someone has a simple recipe to follow & how to clean them.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Wow--there's alot of great ideas out there. Have always been "afraid" of hummus, but may just give it a try. Love squash but don't make it too often for my family (used to bake it and blend it into baby food for my daughter--store in freezer ice cube trays--but that's another topic I guess!) :)

OK--Kale Chips? Where would you even get these? Never tried soy milk, but the almond milk is good (vanilla flavor I've put in my coffee--YUM).

Thanks--and keep those ideas coming!

Kale chips is something you make, not something you buy. :happy:

You basically just toss torn up pieces of kale in olive oil until they are lightly coated, then bake them until they are crispy.

Ahhhh--no wonder I've never seen them (not that I ever looked for them at the store--lol). Do you season them with salt or something? Thanks for cluing me in--I'm gonna give those a try!:tongue:
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would like it, but I tried some lowfat cottage cheese with pineapple chunks and love it. It's a great meal when you are on the low side of available calories for the day

I just tried this the other day because one of my MFP friends had it...I really loved it!!! My new fav now is greek yogurt because I hate all the junk that goes in regular yogurt.....I need to try those chickpea patties!!
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I make kale chips I use olive oil spray then I sprinkle them with garlic powder and Mrs. Dash. You can use any seasoning you like (chili powder, salt, pepper etc.) Heat in 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes until crisp.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When I make kale chips I use olive oil spray then I sprinkle them with garlic powder and Mrs. Dash. You can use any seasoning you like (chili powder, salt, pepper etc.) Heat in 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes until crisp.

Oooooo--yummy! Thanks for the tips! I smell a weekend cooking project! I too want top try the chickpea patties!
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I just made Quinoa for the 1st time last night.......Bought it a while back and haven't done anything with it. I found tons of recipes for it on allrecipes.com and thought I would try the Spanish Style. I made it much more quicker by using a can of Rotella tomatoes and some garlic powder and it was delicious! Will for sure be making that again!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Corn thins! I had some at my boyfriend's house and loved them, then I bought my own and I love them even more :) They are so tasty with peanut butter. I also tried a new cereal that I'm just really into. Uncle Toby's Plus: Protein Lift. I'm just into it! Hahaha.