Regarding Mayonnaise

Options
It took me a while to realize this distinction. At the store I would sometimes buy Light Mayonnaise and other times buy Low Fat Mayonnaise sort of at random without thinking much about it. Sometimes it would taste fine and other times it would taste nasty and artificial. One time, I paid attention and here is what I found out.

Hellmann's "Light Mayonnaise" has 35 cal / 3.5g of fat per tablespoon and tastes pretty much just like mayonnaise.

Hellmann's "Low Fat Mayonnaise Dressing" has 15 cal / 1g of fat per tablespoon, tastes disgusting, and should not be eaten by anybody.

Granted, in a perfect diet, there should be no mayonnaise at all, but do eat it on occasion. I'm willing to take the few extra calories and fat grams. Otherwise, why even bother?

Replies

• Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    You're almost thinking French LOL. In their perfect world mayonnaise is only made with a whisk and that is with whole eggs and great olive oils...by hand! HAHA..
    So yeah I'd go light vs the low fat and just measure :).
    I'm a mustard girl anyway!
  • simplywriting
    Options
    haha I'm a total mayo-aholic which is not a pretty thing when you are trying to fix your waistline. I could not cut it out completely, I have given up so much as it is. I noticed the SAME thing you did.
    What I did find out, is that certain Mayo's with Olive oil taste pretty good, and are a healthier option that the other ones. They are a little higher in calorie count I believe, but I think its worth it. Just another idea. I have cut the number of days a week I eat mayo though. I used to use it nearly every day! o_O
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's all about Grey Poupon Mild & Creamy mustard. No calories, full of flavor. But I also prefer Miracle Whip Light to mayonnaise.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    ANY mayo "dressing" is dis-fckn-gusting!!! i hate it! i'd rather go with no mayo if that was my other choice. and i agree with the mayo with olive oil - yum!!
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    I switched from regular mayo to Kraft mayo with olive oil. It tastes different than regular, but has less calories.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I never liked mayo, mustard, or salad dressing. Gravy, and whipped cream are my weakness' though.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a mayo person, but I do like tuna and egg salad on occasion. I use a little light Best Foods (that's what we call Hellman's west of the Rockies). It tastes fine, and as long as you measure it's not a big deal as far as calories and fat are concerned.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hellman's Light is one of my favorite swaps! It's such a cheat for how close it tastes to regular mayo
  • adamstc88
    adamstc88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hellmann's "Light Mayonnaise is the best tasting I have found. I do like Mayo on my sandwich but I use only a little.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try out the olive oil based one now that you guys vouched for it.

There was also a thread the other day about using greek yogurt + mustard + salt&pepper as a mayo substitute, which I'm also keen on trying.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I can attest to Kraft Olive Oil Light its pretty good!