The Ultimate Brain Food with Huge Health Benefits that Often

Options
You’re probably already well versed as to the health benefits of eating fish but one nutritious little fish that’s often forgotten is the sardine. Relegated to flat metal cans with peel off tops, this unassuming little fish named after the island of Sardinia is surprisingly nutritious. They’re also so convenient to eat. No preparation required. Simply peel off the thin metal top and enjoy. What are the health benefits of sardines?

Probably the greatest nutritional value of sardines resides in their high concentration of omega-3-fatty acids. Omega 3’s have been shown to reduce triglyceride levels and play a role in preventing dangerous heart rhythm abnormalities. They also have an anti-inflammatory activity. Sardines are considered to be one of the best sources of omega 3’s around, surpassed by only a few other fish such as Salmon.

The advantage of getting omega 3’s from sardines rather than larger fish such as the salmon is that the smaller size of sardines makes them less likely to have accumulated toxins such as mercury, dioxane and PCB. Generally, the highest levels of these toxins are seen in larger fish such as the tuna. One of the many health benefits of sardines is that you can get your omega 3’s naturally from them with minimal exposure to potentially dangerous toxins.

Read more in Nutrition
« The Incredible Health Benefits of Goji BerriesThree Purple Fruits and Vegetables You Should Add to Your Diet »Another important health benefit of sardines is that they’re a naturally good source of vitamin D. As you may already know, few foods are high in vitamin D, but sardines are one of them. Most Americans don’t get enough vitamin D on a daily basis and data from the latest studies has repeatedly shown the importance of vitamin D in the prevention of certain diseases.

Among the other health benefits of sardines is that this little fish is high in calcium which can work with the vitamin D to help promote stronger bones. The nutritional value of sardines is hard to beat if you’re into “clean eating”. With 37 grams of protein and zero carbs per serving, it’s a low carbohydrate dieter’s dream food. The high protein content of sardines helps to promote satiety and the lack of carbs helps to keep blood sugars stable.

When you purchase sardines, look for ones that are packed in water, mustard, or tomato sauce as opposed to oil. The oil can add significantly to the calorie and fat content. Sardines packed in water tend to taste and smell less fishy than ones packed in other liquids. There are a variety of ways to eat sardines such as creating a sardine salad, on pasta, in a sandwich spread, or eating them straight out of the can. An internet search will yield lots of salmon recipes for inspiration.

The health benefits of sardines make them a worthy addition to your diet. Why not give them a try?

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good info, thank you. I never even though!
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear that. I love, love, love sardines. :laugh:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    :love: I love sardines!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I'm not big on fish but I have been taking an Omega 3 fish oil capsule every day and have found that it is increasing my focus and concentration. I also feel like I have more energy. It also helps the heart and with weight loss when combined for exercise. I can't stress enough the many, many benefits for omega 3 fish oil.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that info! I love sardines so it's nice to know they're full of goodness.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I found ones packed in water and cayenne pepper.
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I like seafood. I love fish. We have seafood at least 4 times a week. And you are absolutely right about sardines. I like sauteing them in garlic, onions and tomatoes. For spanish sardines, I just simply serve it along with shavings of manchego cheese drizzled with olive oil and bread slices.

I craved exclusively for sardines when I was pregnant with my firstborn. I ate sardines for lunch AND dinner for almost 4 months.

Go figure.