A little discouraged

Options
Hey everyone,
I just need a little moment to lash out on, well I guess, Myself.

I have been eating fairly well, I just am in this slump today, where I feel like no matter what diet I try or anything, nothing seems to work!
I am motivated to stick to this, and stick to this site and count calories
I find its helping me stay motivated food wise.

However, I am still very much struggling in the exercise departement.
Like, I am not exercising a lot, so I dont feel Im seeing a difference fast enough.
I guess I dont know what I need
I know I need to exercise more
I guess thats the only way Im really going to start seeing a difference.
But I cant ever seem to push myself.

Today I did go on the tredmill at work for 20 minutes.
But After that 20 minutes I was so bored of it, I needed off.

What do I do?
I really want and need to start seeing a difference quicker

Replies

• sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I walk outside--that way, I"m not bored. I use an HRM, so I get excited to keep burning calories. More calories burned=more food, which also makes me happy :) Today, even though it's a balmy 20 degrees outside, I alternated walking and running for 45 minutes outside and am set for the day. You can do it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I did not start exercising until my 60 days after I started. Why? I felt too big and fat to. I needed to drop some of the weight, and then my body was screaming at me to start exercising so I did, and I don't miss a day.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If your bored try HIIT training. Look up HIIt training on google and check it out for yourself.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    when youre walking on the treadmill try reading...it goes so much quicker and you might even go for longer than you intended because you tend to carry on to the end of a page/chapter.
  • srs1881
    Options
    I usually read while using an elliptical or stationary bike. By the time I read two chapters the work out is done. I don't know if that will help but we're all rooting for you.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    You need to try something that's different and that you don't find boring. If you think walking is a snooze than don't do it, do something else. Get a dance DVD that is easy to do at home, or maybe you would like yoga, or my wii has always helped me exercise more. There are so many fun games that get you up and moving.

You're not a bad dieter for thinking that walking is super boring, and you're not a bad dieter for not liking exercise. I think you just haven't found the right exercise yet, you need to explore your options.

Stick with it, some days are good, some days are bad, that's life!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I found the treadmill boring at first too... so I got a book with fairly large print and got into reading it and used it to cover up the timer so I couldn't just sit and look at how long I was on there... then finally we moved ours in front of our TV in the living room. Sure, it might look out of place, but I went to the DVR and recorded a bunch of "chick flicks" and I only get to watch them when I'm walking, not just because I don't let myself but I live with my husband and our two teenage sons so chick flick time is limited... :)

If you can't have a TV close to it at work, why not get a portable DVD player and put it on a table top close to you .... that way you could even use headphones to listen so you don't disturb anyone else maybe?

other than that I don't know what else you can do to make it not so boring... all I know is I do a 4 incline at 2.5mph (I am fairly new too and not athletic... yet)... and I can do a mile in 23 min that way... but one day I got so into the movie that I ended up going for 45 min and almost 2 miles .... :)

GOOD LUCK
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Try some fun workout DVD's as well, such as Tae Bo (my favorite!). It keeps it fun, you get amazing cardio, and you do it at home! Makes it easier than having to go to the gym when you don't want to that day. I often find myself feeling as though nothing is happening, always have. But things are, if you're being even somewhat active your body will get healthier. There will be a point where 20 minutes isn't enough and you'll plateau, but just up either the effort or the time. And if you don't use body tape, try it. I've had issues with weight not coming off or even going up, but I'm losing inches. You will get there
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    What works for me is exercising first thing in the morning to my favorite tunes. I download new songs every week or two. I alternate my elliptical and treadmill each day.but you could alternate treadmill and outside/other equipment. For a year before I got my elliptical, I did the treadmill every morning. Alternating your workout is helpful as well. Do with wii fitt if you have it, or exercise videos are abundant on youtube.

FIrst thing in the morning is good as it gets it out of the way, you are fresh into the day with no food to slow you down.
    I drink two cups of coffee before I work out and I can go for longer periods of time/consume way more water to make up for the caffeine!

I read somewhere recently that 80% of losing weight is food, 20% is exercise - not sure if that's 100% correct but I agree that you need to concentrate on getting the calories in and out in sinc in order to lose the weight.

Try to think long term - this is a journey, not going to happen overnight. Set small goals for yourself. Like exercise 20 min a day for now. Increase it as you feel more like it.

We're happy you're here and want you to succeed!! :flowerforyou:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Find an activity that you enjoy doing. It doesn't necessarily have to be "exercise", just something active that you like. I do taekwondo and it's my motivation for all other exercise. I want to be in good enough shape to feel good doing it and achieve my goals so all the workouts I do outside of TKD are because I'm motivated BY TKD. If you enjoy doing it you're more likely to keep at it. If you want a lifetime change you'll have to find activities that inspire you. Try new things! Take a dance class, try a martial art, go roller blading! Enjoy your life and incorporate activities that require physical activity! For me, the treadmill would be a slow, painful death. :)
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well first diet is actually more important in weight loss than exercise so don't stress. In order to get what is sufficient for heart health you need to get at 30 mins of moderate intensity activity 5 days a week. Weight loss requires more however if you aren't active at all before hand the 30 mins will definitely help but once you hit a plateau you may have to increase your exercise-that's the rut I'm in right now-

I definitely get the boredom. I can't wait for spring/warmer weather to get outside as I get really bored indoors on treadmills etc. Try switiching it up though. you get bored after 20 mins on the treadmill then get off and switch to a bike for another 15 or 20 and break it up by doing some weights in between. I listen to music and movies on my ipod and that really helps as it distracts me from the time. But changing your exercises up will not only help boredom but it will also help with weight loss as our bodies like variety. It keeps our bodies guessing.

Good luck you can do it! Don't get discouraged!
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There are definite ways to liven up your treadmill workouts. But some people just can't get past the boredom of it all. Try walking with weights - start with just 2 pound weights and do bicep curls for a minute, tricep extensions for a minute, and shoulder presses for a minute. Then take a one minute 'break' and do something that isn't on the treadmill... I usually do one minute of abs, or one minute of triceps (cuz that's where I need the most work). Do this for 30 minutes and time flies...

You can also increase your tread work out by changing up the speed and/or incline - but if you are using weights, make sure you are going slow enough where you aren't hurting your form.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but make sure you time your breaths to your arm movements. Timing your breath burns more caloires, keeps you focused, and for some reason - helps time pass quicker :)

Good luck!!!
  • sm26davis
    Options
    I get bored very easy to. We have an eliptical and the only thing that can get me on it is so I can listen to my ipod! I do have a good workout dvd library built up.
  • Stephanie4Cali
    Stephanie4Cali Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Never give up. I'm working out more than ever and staying under cal's and haven't lost any weight In 2 weeks. You just have to keep at it. I do my elliptical while playing online scrabble on my IPad and did 90 mins. Without noticing the time.
  • sspayne35
    sspayne35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mix it up! Do the elliptical, treadmil, bike...I ALWAYS wear an iPod, otherwise I couldn't do it either! Plus throw in some DVD's at home. Maybe some weight training as well...at the gym or at home. Maybe an excercise ball...they can be fun and just somehing a bit different. There are all kids of podcast you can download and listen to on an iPod as well as great books, if you can't read while your walking. (I can't, I like intervals so it makes it harder to read.)

Good Luck...Just stick to it and keep mixing it up...You will find something you love and then you will be off!
  • redlox
    Options
    When I first began I did my wii fit only. There was a variety of exercises and it felt like I was playing a game. I really liked the obstacle course and the boxing. There are also some great walking videos that you can do at home. Eventually exercise will become easier and you will become more disciplined at working out. Good luck to you and don't give up! Hang in there and keep trying until you find something you enjoy.:smile:
  • LauraHe
    Options
    Hi,
    I just joined this site, since I needed to really count calories. I exercise average 4 days a week @ 30 mins at a time. I alternate between cardio and weights on various days. This I did start before and never really lost weigh until I started watching what I eat.

Try walking outside, like suggested in previous posts. On the weekends when I can, I walk a 3-5 mile hike on a great trail in San Leandro.

But keep up the great work you are doing! You will find something you like!