Exercises for pregnancy

Options
oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
Does anyone have any good exercises for pregnancy? I'm only barely pregnant (about 4 weeks- I just found out today), but I know that a lot of jumping up and down isn't good for my growing baby. The program I'm on right now incorporates a lot of skipping, stride jumps, foot fires, and other jumping activities, and I'm not sure how long I will be able to continue it. The only things I can think of are walking, prenatal yoga, and possibly some light weight lifting or calisthenics. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking for a lot of calorie burn really; I'm just looking for a good regime that keeps my body healthy and strong, and perhaps something that can tone my upper body while my lower body is getting round. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• ailysys
    ailysys Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 weeks pregnant also. My doc said I can continue doing anything I was doing before, just to take it easy if I feel dizzy or over tired. I usually run 30 minutes a day so i'm going to continue doing that :)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk! Good for you and growing baby! Congratulations!!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I go for long walks, do the eliptical, do step aerobics and lift weights. My doctor told me I could continue to lift the way I was before getting pregnant. I just couldn't increase the weight. In the beginning I wouldn't let my heartrate get as high as it used to, but now I just make sure I take breaks for water and keep myself from overheating. I used to do the insanity workouts. When I found out I was pregnant, I had to stop that. Way too much jumping around.
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    I am 5 months along and am still running, jumping rope, lifting weights (not laying down -that's not good for baby once you are in your second trimester) and all that fun stuff. My dr. also said that I can continue doing whatever I was doing before for as long as I feel comfortable. I would recommend that you speak with your dr. I am still comfortable running, but it is becoming much more difficult so I am not enjoying it as much and might hold off until after the baby is born. Jumping jacks and jumping rope don't bother me yet. If you aren't comfortable with those things, then what you suggested is very reasonable.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Best wishes for a happy healthy mama and baby! :)
  • BeFitMom
    Options
    You should be able to continue with your normal exercise routines until about 20 weeks or so. At that point, the placenta stops growing, so its' ability to transport oxygen is capped. After 20 weeks, you'll need to slowly taper down the intensity of your workouts, always making sure that you stay in a zone that you perceive as "somewhat" difficult.

In the latter half of pregnancy, you might notice that your joints are feeling looser too, due to pregnancy hormones. Looser joints, combined with the shift in your center of gravity caused by your growing belly, increases the likelihood of falling. That's why high impact activities, or those with quick directional changes are not recommended during pregnancy.

As you tummy gets bigger, your abdominal muscles stretch, and they become less efficient at torso stabilization, so pay attention to form, especially when lifting weights or doing other strength training activities. In the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, you will most likely need to reduce resistance in order to maintain great form.

To prevent diastasis recti/abdominal separation and other pregnancy problems such as back pain and pelvic instability, strengthen your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. This is our body's internal "girdle" and when contracted, compresses the abdominal wall. Because the TvA is also the major expulsion muscle, it plays an important role in the pushing phase of labor.

Two great, safe TvA exercises for pregnancy can be found at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdSxWvF06g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTlpSCmJyY

BeFit-Mom
  • calari
    calari Posts: 5
    Options
    You should try the Pregnancy Fit Kit - that's what I use. It's a prenatal / postpartum exercise program that comes complete with all the necessary (and comfortable) workout accessories. My friend recommended it to me and it is awesome! Their website is http://www.PregnancyFitKit.com - Good luck!