Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Spaghetti squash?

So. I never cook. Ever. Don't judge me when I ask: what is spaghetti squash and where do I get it and how do I prepare it? :blushing:

Replies

• McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Its a type of squash. I haven't cooked it yet..but you can buy it at the grocery store in the fruits and veggies place. Supposedly tastes just like spaghetti...
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Any grocery store, especially in the fall/winter.

And you can bake it, boil it, slow-cook it, etc. It's very versatile.

Personally, I throw it in the slow cooker in the morning, which turns the shell very hard, making it easy to scrape the inside out once dinner is ready.

I then put pasta sauce on it. Actually, I make a really low cal chicken cacciatore for topping it.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    You can get it at most grocery stores.

To prepare it, you need to split it in half (having a good sharp knife will help)

Then I just bake mine in the oven at about 375-400F, cut sides down for about 45-55 minutes, until they are tender. You will know they are done because you will be able to run a fork through the squash and it will look like spaghetti strands.

You should probably olive oil or cooking spray the cut sides so they don;t stick to your foil or baking sheet.

To serve, there are tons of ways, just your preference:
    salt
    salt and butter
    salt and oilve oil
    parm cheese or any other cheese you like
    tomato sauce and cheese - like real spaghetti

It is very yummy!
  • caschw
    caschw Posts: 32 Member
    Go to the squash section and it's yellow and oval. I cut it the long way in half and put it skin side up on a baking pan and bake it with a little water on the bottom of the pan 350 degrees for about an hour. I make a fat free alfredo and use it as noodles. It's really good!
  • Love Spaghetti Squash. I didn't know much about it either the first time I had it!

You can buy it in the regular grocery store in the produce section.

It looks like a squash (yellow) and tastes like squash. Just when it's cooked, it gets "stringy" like spaghetti noodles. I cook mine the easy way. Cut it in half, scoop out the gunk, cut side up covered with a wet paper towel, microwave for 15 minutes. When you put it out it's gunna be super hot and steamy. So carefully use a fork to scrape out the flesh, this will make it get all spaghetti-y.

I love mixing the cooked spaghetti squash with pasta sauce, ricotta and peas. Quick, easy and yummy.
  • i love to bbq mine in the summer... just cook it the same as you do in the oven.
  • Go to the squash section and it's yellow and oval. I cut it the long way in half and put it skin side up on a baking pan and bake it with a little water on the bottom of the pan 350 degrees for about an hour. I make a fat free alfredo and use it as noodles. It's really good!

Is there generally a sign that says "spaghetti squash" or...? Dumb, I know.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    It doesn't really taste like spaghetti but it looks like spaghetti once you cook it and scrape it with a fork.
  • Spaghetti Squash is delicious, very low carb/calorie. You cut the squash in half (carefully, it's tough), then scoop out seeds. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until tender. Once it is where you can handle it, scoop out the meat with a fork, it comes out like spaghetti. You can top with whatever you typically top pasta with. I've made my own sauce or used Ragu Light.
  • Almost all grocery stores would have spaghetti squash.

Here is a picture of what one looks like before you cut it open
    spaghetti_squash.jpg

Then you cut it in half and scrape out the seeds (well I normally do anyways)
    spaghetti_squash_half.jpg

I take a fork and stab it into the skin-side of the spaghetti squash about half a dozen times and then put about an half inch of water in a shallow, microwave safe baking dish, put the spaghetti squash inside (flesh side down) and turn my microwave on the Cook Fresh Vegetable setting for 15 minutes.

When it comes out it's SUPER hot so be careful. But then you take a fork and start shredding the flesh inside the squash
    SuperStock_1491R-1076165.jpg

They come out like strands of spaghetti! The texture is a little different than spaghetti, but I enjoy it regardless. Top it however you like. Some like tomato sauce, some like alfredo sauce, some like some EVOO and freshly grated cheese. It'll be fabulous however you prepare it :) Give it a shot!!
    spaghetti-squash-marinara.jpg
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    I cook mine just like a baked potatoe in the microwave!! Poke it with a bunch of holes then microwave 8-10 minutes for a small to medium spaghetti squash. I then cut it open (which is a lot easier once it's cooked!!), scrape out the seeds and then scrape out the strands of the flesh with at fork! Mmmm delicious!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    The skin is yellow and there is usually a sticker on it that says it is spaghetti squash with the # they use at the register. Be careful cutting it in half! The thing is very hard, I have actually snapped a thin blade knife in half while cutting it! I also found that when you cut it, put a couple wet paper towels under it and kinda smoosh them around the bottom to keep the thing from rolling away from you. Scoop out the seeds and strings like you would a pumpkin. Rub some olive oil on the cut edges to keep them from sticking to the pan. Turn them upside down on a foil covered baking sheet and make a small hole in the shell. Bake it on 350 for about an hour +/-. When you can "dent" the shell it is done. When you take them out of the oven, flip them over and let them sit for a few minutes to cool off a bit. Then using a fork, going from the shell edge to the inside, pull the "spaghetti" loose from the shell. If you scoop it, it turns to mush. I usually let the "spaghetti" drain on a paper towel for a few before using it. I hate watery spaghetti. It can be frozen after cooking, or it keeps fairly well in a tupperware bowl in the fridge for a few days.

You can top it with what ever you would regular noodles. I wouldn't use it in a "noodle salad" recipe though. I like using chunked chicken and spaghetti sauce. I have also kind of toasted the cooked squash under the broiler and added a bit of cinn and nutmeg and a dash of splenda for a desertish type of thing. Once you taste the naked squash (kinda of nutty) I am sure you will find all sorts of things to do with it. Very filling and very few calories.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks, everyone! I'm going to buy one tonight! :)
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    I simply cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds and thrown each half in the microwave 10 mins each. Simple and delicious meal!!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Spaghetti squash is yummy, yummy!! Cut in half, take out seeds, bake in oven on cookie cut side down 350 for 45min - 1 hr. use fork to scrape out strands. Then I just add some butter, salt, pepper and some garlic salt. My crew loves it!!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Great question. I have never had it, but think I will try it now... Does anyone know if it freezes well once you cook it? I'm big on cooking ahead and freezing it for later.