Quinoa ? for dinner tonight please help

Options
I have never fixed quinoa and plan to try it out tonight. I have read several times that it can be used just as a person would use rice. So my quesiton is... I have a recipe for Consomme Rice (which I love) its really simple...

1-2 Tbs Butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cans consomme beef

melt butter in skillet and add onion, cook till slightly brown. Add uncooked rice and cook till golden brown. Pour consomee beef and rice into casserole dish and cover. Bake at 350.

Can I do the exact same thing with quinoa? If there is a better way for me to try to get the same results please give me your opinon.

Thank you

Replies

• Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sounds Yummy! Maybe you can mix half-rice half-quinoa?
  • susioryan
    Options
    The most important thing about Quinoa is that you MUST rinse it well until the water runs clear before you cook it. If you don't it will be bitter and will turn the eater off from ever eating it again. Yes you can use it in place of rice and for a morning dish you can replace your oatmeal with it adding some butter and cinnamon to it. I like carmadon in mine too.
  • Amanda42657
    Amanda42657 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The most important thing about Quinoa is that you MUST rinse it well until the water runs clear before you cook it. If you don't it will be bitter and will turn the eater off from ever eating it again. Yes you can use it in place of rice and for a morning dish you can replace your oatmeal with it adding some butter and cinnamon to it. I like carmadon in mine too.

Ok so I can bake it in the oven just like the recipe says to do with the rice? and would I use the same amount of quinoa or a different amount? Sorry so many questions just dont want to mess it up. Oh and the kind I got says "pre washed, no rinsing" will it be ok or should I still wash to be on the safe side. Thank you again.
  • Amanda42657
    Amanda42657 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump (:
  • susioryan
    Options
    I don't see any reason why not- I do tend to cook mine in a rice cooker though but I think it will be fine.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options

That could be why I don't like it! lol! I will have to give it another go now that I read this....thanks! :)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You cook it just like rice (2 parts water, one part rice / quinoa, so they could be pretty much interchangable. I cook mine in chicken stock all the time. Inca Red has a lot more flavor than white quinoa. I use Ancient harvest brand - doesn't need to be pre-washed.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    Don't stress - you should be fine however you decide to prepare it. This grain was domesticated and helping people to run through the Andes mountains over 4000 years ago! PS: I think it tastes great.
  • Jonzy
    Jonzy Posts: 1
    Options
    If you look at quinoa advice from America's Test Kitchens, they did mention that they dry toast the quinoa first rather than cooking in oil (or butter) because it got a bitter taste. You can google America's test kitchens and quinoa to see their comments on eatocracy and also their light quinoa pilaf recipe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have never fixed quinoa and plan to try it out tonight. I have read several times that it can be used just as a person would use rice. So my quesiton is... I have a recipe for Consomme Rice (which I love) its really simple...

1-2 Tbs Butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup uncooked rice
    2 cans consomme beef

melt butter in skillet and add onion, cook till slightly brown. Add uncooked rice and cook till golden brown. Pour consomee beef and rice into casserole dish and cover. Bake at 350.

Can I do the exact same thing with quinoa? If there is a better way for me to try to get the same results please give me your opinon.

Thank you

Yeah...I pretty much do the exact some things with quinoa as I would with rice. It's a different consistency though, so don't expect it to be the same.