New and need to hook into the community!

Options
Hi there! I've battled my weight for, oh, forever, and at the advice of my lovely sister who pointed me to this site I'm now on MFP!

My goal is to lose 38 lbs by the time I hit 38. I'm down 3 so far, and am determined to keep the momentum going to add up to some big success! I typically fall off after a few weeks - have a little success and "celebrate, put the weight right back on, get discouraged - wash, rinse, repeat.

After seeing a picture of myself on my birthday, I thought "that's it - I do not look like me at all!".

I've made some great changes so far:

*swapping out a 3x weekly mocha from Starbucks for tea
*recognizing I overeat at night because of a stressful day and I tell myself "you deserve a glass (or two) of wine, you work hard, have a ridiculous commute, it's okay to indulge". Not okay!
*re-started drinking a lot of water
*upped working out from 3x week to 5-6x week with exercise I truly love - yoga!

What I need to work on, and would LOVE member input on, is

*portion control - I eat healthy food, but I eat too much of it. :/
*giving up wine - I love it!

Tips, tricks, ideas, success stories, I'd love to hear them! Looking forward to meeting you and making new friends on MFP!
Jessica
aka jackalope28

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    If you ar logging your food, you will naturally start making better choices. For portion control, buy a small food scale for under $20. You'll be surprised how tiny portions are.
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've made some good changes already!
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hook!!! Good Luck!
  • allie_00
    Options
    Hi Jackalope,

I'm also new to this site (just joined today) I have to say that your goals/eating habits are very similar to mine! I like to unwind after a long day of work and I tell myself I deserve wine, food, etc. I eat very healthily I just need to manage portions, like you. I'm fairly active so I haven't been getting too out of control but I'm sure if I didn't exercise on a regular basis I'd be huge!

Anyway, welcome!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Woohoo you sound ready to begin!! Welcome girl!! I am a wino too, I have to limit myself :(
  • tokes
    tokes Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi jackalope welcome to MFP - I joined a week ago and like you I dont eat a lot of cr@p -but i eat a lot of what I like ;-) - also you only need to look at the tag on my profile to see like to "treat" myself to the odd glass of vino as well

For me thejust the writing/logging the amount/calories that I have eaten/drank has really helped - its early days yets but hopeful Ill shift this 20lbs well before I hit the big 40 later this year - feel free to add my as a friend

good luck
  • arhodes24
    Options
    I have the same struggle of over eating at night! I have found things like Chocolate Slimfast or desserts by weight watchers to take care of my cravings while maintaining my calorie count. For portion control, the Biggest Loser food scale can be purchased on walmart.com. It is the BEST! I can't imagine going back to my way of life before using this scale.