Man Up?

Options
I've been working out really hard recently, and increasing the intensity of my workouts. I've been getting a really bad stitch in my side - which has actually been staying with me after workouts- and all arm and leg muscles are aching badly.

Is it better to rest, or should I be manning up, and working through the pain?

I'm feeling the need to justify resting to myself.

Replies

• mbrook04
    Options
    You need to rest, allow your body time to heal or you're just going to make things worse
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Pain is a sign that your body is not ready for you to up the intensity. Take a day off, then go back to excercising at a lower intensity.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Rest. Usually I will take 1 day of and do nothing but stretch really good when I get up in the morning and later that evening.. The 2nd & 3rd day I will just do the treadmill at a moderate pace also stretching the same as the 1st day. By the 4th day I'm usually good.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My theory is ask yourself if you are hurt or are you injured =)
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to "protein up" after your work-outs too.
  • tlschlp
    Options
    You should rest up, but don't forget to hydrate, too! I remember reading somewhere (and this could be old news) that the stitch in your side from running, etc, was due to dehydration.

Before I workout, I make sure I have a couple drinks from my water bottle, and then usually end up finishing the bottle during the workout and starting a second. Are you drinking enough water? Maybe that's something to try after your rest day?

Just a thought.
  • amyamoeba
    Options
    You should rest up, but don't forget to hydrate, too! I remember reading somewhere (and this could be old news) that the stitch in your side from running, etc, was due to dehydration.

Before I workout, I make sure I have a couple drinks from my water bottle, and then usually end up finishing the bottle during the workout and starting a second. Are you drinking enough water? Maybe that's something to try after your rest day?

Just a thought.

Yeah good idea - might well be contributing - drinking more water is definitely my main demon to face. Think I'll take today off, just have a good stretch out, and again in the morning :)
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    I agree with HopefulLeigh and the others. Pain = Rest.

The pain you are feeling in your arms and legs is most likely lactic acid buildup, which is a sign that your aerobic muscles are failing. Drink plenty of water and If the soreness is pretty rough, even after 48 hours, you are most likely training for weight gain and bulk.

I've been told by my personal trainer that if you fail an exercise after fewer than 10-15 reps, you are bulking up. This may be what you want (some girls may want bigger perky glutes), but it also may be something you don't want (a broad back and shoulders) For leaner muscles, find a weight range that you can work for 15 or more reps, and stick with it till you can do 30+. For Bulky anaerobic muscle, do 5 till 15.

By the way, that side pain sounds like a cramp, make sure to get enough water, sodium, and potassium in your diet. Perhaps eat some bananas :happy: