Help.....I'm confused

Options
I'm really new only Started on the MFP today. I logged all my stats & it gave me my calorie intake for today which I stuck to but then I did some exercise & booked it & it added it to my calories allowed. I'm now confused!!!!!!
Does this mean I should eat the daily calorie allowance it gives me or eat what it states when I add exercises i've done.

If someone could explain this to me it would be fantastic. I thought I knew what I was doing but now i'm soooooo not sure.

I'm just confused.com

Please help

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    It seems that people have different opinions about whether to eat 'exercise calories'. I find I need them, after working out in the morning I need a more fulfilling breakfast on those days. So I always eat my 'exercise calories'.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Yes, you read it right - when you log exercise, you "earn" exercise calories, which you are supposed to eat.

For lots more information on this, go to the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum and read the "Newbies" post. It'll help.

Good luck!
  • gillybean1
    Options
    Thank hun
    I try that
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I've been told you are supposed to eat them as well, sounds good to me ;)
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    An additional thing to consider when replenishing earned calories is where the calories are coming from.

If you read labels on food products, you'll not only see a total calorie listing but also, calories from fat.

If you can, lean toward foods that are higher in protein.... this will maximize the earned calories and
    benefit you the most.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Basically if you want permanent sustainable weight loss you should eat as many of your exercise calories as you want. I don't advocate eating when you're full but I do if you're still hungry.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    it is my understanding that your net cals at the end of the day should be above 1200 meaning you should eat your exercise cals that being said I have days when I simply can't eat them cos I'm not hungry. i know people who don't eat their exercise cals cos they feel it defeats the object of exercising in the first place, ultimately this is your journey and your choice but consider these couple of things that i have been told along the way. If you eat too few cals (under 1200) body will go into starvation mode and retain water and fat and its a common misconception if you don't eat your body will burn fat for energy the body will actually burn muscle tissue. Have a look at your BMR in the tools section it will tell you how many cals you would need to maintain your body if you stayed in bed all day you will then see how many cals MFP has deducted to result in your projected weight loss
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have seen so many opinions on this topic.

Personally I like the idea that I can look at a food item that could be a 'splurge', and in dealing with my self I can make it okay by 'earning' that treat with exercise. A pat on the back if you will. "Good work out you deserve it". LOL! I find that in telling myself no it can make things much more difficult. So a simple compromise works great for me!

If I have left over Calories I am very proud of my self and submit my daily logging at bed time. I do not go out of my way to use those calories up, and I try not to abuse my self with exercise when I do go over.

I think this is an individual decision, and you will discover what works best for you. :) Good luck on your journey! :)