What is the best exercise

Options
Hi
I have set myself a new goal today. MFP reckons that I can reach my goal weight in 40 weeks losing 2lb per week. I lost 7lb the first week. Not intentionally. I honestly didn't think I had lost anything!

Well, I am going on holiday end of August, and I am hoping to have almost reached my goal by then. Not neccessarily all of it, as I know it is bad to lose too much too fast.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me a good way to work on deep abdominal muscles and generally all over so that I can be as toned as possible for the holiday. I don't know my fat % so can't help with that one. What I am doing is 20 mins cardio everyday at home, and 2 nights a week at the gym. I am planning to up this to 5 nights a week at the gym once the trainer has set out a plan for me. My main area I want to lose is my face and stomach. I hate doing crunches, and will probably not do them, even though I know they are good for me. Is there anything else I can do to lose my stomach?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lishhami
    lishhami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, Taebo / kickboxing has always worked the best in quickest weight loss and overall workout to change my body (especially the waste). I love Billy Blanks!
    Good luck,
    Alisha
  • amstein18
    Options
    sadly, you can't spot reduce. the weight will come off from wherever it wants to. i would suggest upping your cardio to a MINIMUM of 30 minutes 5 times a week. variety in workouts is also key. do different machines at the gym, dvds, exercise classes, incorporate strength training, try yoga, etc! and remember diet is 80% of your weight loss success so make sure you stay on track eating wise! good luck :)
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First on, last off, has been my experience. I am just now getting to actually work on my abs...because, you know, I can SEE them. But for me lots of cardio (running/walking), with stretching and sit ups thrown in has worked. I also do the Body Combat classes at the gym 2-3 times a week, and that works your core like nothing else I've done.
  • jamesadcox
    Options
    You could always give P90x or Insanity a run they are great muscle confusion programs.
  • a2canadian
    Options
    though you cannot spot reduce (i.e. can't "burn fat" from a particular place on your body), you CAN strengthen particular areas over others. The thing is... why would you want to? Who wants a super toned stomach and a loose bum or rocking arms and stickman legs. My suggestion is to do a ton of cardio and allow your body to tone up in a more natural way (top 3 are usually running, swimming, and biking... all of which are good at generating lean muscles and strong bones). If you run, even for just 20 minutes, you will get more benefit than most other exercises (at least in the way of kcal and fat burn). Note: for fat burn you want to stay at a lower heartrate or do some interval training
  • craigclarke
    Options
    sadly, you can't spot reduce. the weight will come off from wherever it wants to. i would suggest upping your cardio to a MINIMUM of 30 minutes 5 times a week. variety in workouts is also key. do different machines at the gym, dvds, exercise classes, incorporate strength training, try yoga, etc! and remember diet is 80% of your weight loss success so make sure you stay on track eating wise! good luck :)

i agree. whilst you can tone an area you cannot spot reduce. i recommend topping up your water bottle and sticking to one or two cardio activities, as 'travelling' from one machine to another doesn't do much for you! if you can, maybe take a spin class - check the calorie burn in your MFP cardio section. also, the rowing machine hits both your cardio and is a full body workout. check with your instructor that your form is correct and go for it!
  • LD6686
    LD6686 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I don't think I made myself clear. Although I want to lose the stomach most, coz it is the worst part of me, I am also working on the rest of me too. I decided on 20 mins a day to begin with as I have gone from 0 exercise to 20 mins. I tried an hour and nearly died haha. 20 Mins is starting to get a little too easy though, so I might push it up to 30. When at home, I do the biggest loser xbox game. Really gets the heart going and pushes you hard. It's great. I was at the gym on Sunday for an hour and a half and I loved it! Rowing machine not so much. Was on the highest setting and didn't feel a thing. Except a sore knee somehow. I love the cross trainer and bike. The treadmill, not so much. I got off of it and was so disoriented. Floor felt like it was still moving under me. I also did some weight training when there but not a huge amount. Did the weight twists which was cool. I don't wanna look out of proportion, but I would like to lose and tone my stomach at the same rate as the rest of me. Not sacrificing one bit for something else. Sorry if that is how it sounded
  • jdpet
    jdpet Posts: 17
    Options
    squats and lunges..........squats and lunges.......till you want to die!
  • LD6686
    LD6686 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also try to do 10 mins of yoga after every xbox session
  • jamesadcox
    Options
    The kinect is a lot of fun to mix in there.