ACK!! Im not getting enough calories

Options
I am not happy about this. I have severe control issues that really get out of control when dealing with food. I feel like I am eating enough, but according to this calculator I am not. Logically, I can see that I am not. Emotionally, I feel right on target. I ended my day like 400 calories short yesterday. Today I am on track to do the same if not with a larger deficit. I really like to eat super clean when I start doing this. I eat frequently, basically foraging all day and on healthy stuff, I drink a good amount of water, but inevitably, I wind up shorting myself on food. How many of you come in under calories and what do you do to maintain a healthy attitude about actually consuming adequate calories?

Replies

• chuckanderson
    Options
    I plan my day out in the morning.... like the first thing I do after I check my email. Then I force myself to eat everything on that list (and don't eat anything that isn't). Once you do it for 2 weeks or so you'll know how hungry you will be when and what foods satisfy you.
  • gretchen0720
    Options
    As long as you aren't hungry, you are fine.

But, if you feel you need too, add calories by adding healthy extras. A little bit of granola on your yogurt, a bit of avocado..... little things that give you the added calories without blowing your eating out of control.

Good luck!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I say if it's working for you then go with it.
    How many calories are you maxing?
    I'm on a 1200 cal restriction and at night right before bed I am starving. Don't you feel sorry for me? hahaha.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Eating clean also means a large calorie deficit for me. Even if I'm grazing all day, at best I hit just over 1000 kcal. Lots of people have told me to add more 'high calorie' ingredient so I use 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead a teaspoon, a tbs of peanut butter instead of a teaspoon, you get the picture. It helps adding up the calories and I am still eating clean! Saying that...I still normally go under 1200...
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It starts me out at like 1400 and change, but when I wake up in the morning I do cardio for 45 minutes and the elliptical says I am burning 600 calories. I plug that in and now I am supposed to eat 2000 calories. 2000 calories is super easy when you are eating big macs and taco bell, but cut most meat out of your diet, start eating fruits and veges and yogurt and things like that and all of a sudden I am at a HUGE deficit. That 600 calorie burn in the morning is killing me. Right now the graph says I still have to eat 1350 calories and I am being dead honest with inputting everything I am eating.

Just on a side note...that would be like 10 packs of oatmeal or 10 yogurts. I cut bread out and most dairy, so am I supposed to sit down and eat a quart of cottage cheese or 3 blocks of tofu?
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Initially with MFP I had a 1200 calorie/day allowance and since I work out a lot I found myself struggling to "eat back all my calories" so I started bumping up each meal and snack by 50 or 100 calories. It helped me. However, with that said, I contacted a trainer I use to utilize (when I had money, lol) and she use to keep me at a strict 1450 calorie diet and we would work out sometimes 3-4 hours a day and I never had to "eat" more. I don't want to post this as a topic or start a big war because I know the MFP calculations have done amazing things for a lot of amazing people. I have changed my daily goal to 1400 and I still plug in my work out calories but I don't really target that net as 1400. I'm not hungry at all and I seem to be doing well!

Maybe this helps a little?!
  • chemira
    Options
    I am in the same postion, not eating enough calories, but I same to go over with my in take of fat . I don't eat junk food , I pretty much eat salad and some type of grilled meat.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    You need to retrain the body & mind to send the cues a healthy body gives - it's adapted to what you've given it, so it no longer sends the appropriate hunger cues. After a couple of weeks or so, your appetite will adjust.

Work on adding higher-cal, more nutrient dense stuff to each meal/snack - lean protein, good fats, good carbs. Don't forget that good fats (oils, nuts, avocados) are great and very cal-dense - so you can add a tiny bit to a meal and avoid feeling like you're overstuffing yourself. Just 25 more cals per meal/snack will add at least 100 more cals to the day.

FYI, if you haven't seen it yet, this thread is a great explanation of how & why retraining of the body is necessary, and what it does for metabolism. MUST READ, especially if you're having trouble eating enough to meet cal goals. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It starts me out at like 1400 and change, but when I wake up in the morning I do cardio for 45 minutes and the elliptical says I am burning 600 calories. I plug that in and now I am supposed to eat 2000 calories. 2000 calories is super easy when you are eating big macs and taco bell, but cut most meat out of your diet, start eating fruits and veges and yogurt and things like that and all of a sudden I am at a HUGE deficit. That 600 calorie burn in the morning is killing me. Right now the graph says I still have to eat 1350 calories and I am being dead honest with inputting everything I am eating.

Just on a side note...that would be like 10 packs of oatmeal or 10 yogurts. I cut bread out and most dairy, so am I supposed to sit down and eat a quart of cottage cheese or 3 blocks of tofu?

Try to eat back some of those exercise calories but don't worry about eating them all. Machines and MFP often overestimate the number of calories being burned.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    How much of 'not hitting the calories' do you think is subconsciously on purpose and how much do you think is really not being able to eat the food? Having struggled with body image and growing up Italian and in love with food. I feel like potentially a portion of it is always falling back to the mentality that less food is better. On a conscious level I can say, "Food is energy and you can't function without energy. Fuel up with clean foods and get healthy." On a subconscious level I feel like there will always be this nagging voice that says, "Less is better."

That beginning question is for everyone else about themselves, obviously not asking you about me. I think by what I just said we can all assume that at least a portion of my deficit is going to be chalked up to some perverse internal struggle that claims negative calories as small victories.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The question is, are you going to eat like you are now for the rest of your life? No bread, limited meat, limited dairy? I wouldn't want to live like that. I would make a pizz poor vegan. Instead of making this a temporary "diet" why not incorporate your usual foods to reach your nutritional needs? Make the changes in your lifestyle so you don't have to "diet" again. Make healthy choices and occasionally indulge in your favorites. Work in your steaks, budget in your toast for breakfast, and figure out a way to have your ice cream. You only have one life, enjoy it!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    How much of 'not hitting the calories' do you think is subconsciously on purpose and how much do you think is really not being able to eat the food? Having struggled with body image and growing up Italian and in love with food. I feel like potentially a portion of it is always falling back to the mentality that less food is better. On a conscious level I can say, "Food is energy and you can't function without energy. Fuel up with clean foods and get healthy." On a subconscious level I feel like there will always be this nagging voice that says, "Less is better."

That beginning question is for everyone else about themselves, obviously not asking you about me. I think by what I just said we can all assume that at least a portion of my deficit is going to be chalked up to some perverse internal struggle that claims negative calories as small victories.

I'm not saying you have one, but from this, it sounds as if you may be at least moving toward an ED/BDD (eating disorder/body-dysmorphic disorder). You may want to think about getting in touch with a counselor who could help. Been there, done that - and changed my life for the better after addressing the issues. :flowerforyou:
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    @ MzBug...I always tend to stay away from meats. I eat them, they are just something that I tend to view as pretty unhealthy alot of times. I feel like I am moving much closer to being vegetarian...not hardcore, probably pesco-uovo, but generally a much more limited meat intake. Two weeks ago I decided to visit a farm where they actually butcher the animals. I would encourage everyone to do it. I walked away with a very sobering view of my meat diet. I never drink milk and am not a huge sweets person, I do love some pizza. I only mentioned pizza because you said pizz and you got me thinking.

@Ladyhawk...I agree with you. I do have a disorder, but I guess I am really wondering how many people in here have the same types of disorders. I guess that is why I said I was trying to gauge my normalcy. I mean, step into a gym and there are people throwing weights around or running for an hour on a treadmill and witness the same control issues...right?! Those dudes who drink a gallon of protein powder and clean jerk a million pounds aren't in it for health. They have some broken switch in their brains that says, "This is normal. This is acceptable. Do this to be healthy."

I feel like any mention of dysmorphia or eating disorders would be pushed aside. As an average height, 180 lbs guy, response to such claims would be dismissed. Do you agree?
  • Olona
    Olona Posts: 70
    Options
    As long as your eating at least 1200 calories you should be okay. But if you aren't eating at least 1200 calories try to snaek them in in little ways like instead of having water with your lunch drink a soda or have some juice if you have some juice instead then there goes an extra 100 calories in your day so just try to sneak those calories in mostly the easiest way would be with your drinks.
  • Brendaleecantu
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that had this problem. Because, I started exercising it wants me to eat 2,000 calories a day. I could do that but I feel like I might lose control and go way over that. I limit myself to certain foods because it keeps me from losing control and eating what I shouldn't eat. But I like the suggestion of adding things to my meals to increase the calories. I'm just worried that if I eat more that 1200 calories I'll start to gain weight and I don't want to do that.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I would suggest you invest in a HRM... 45mins on the elliptical for me is only 450 cals burned... I think for guys you may burn more, not sure, but if its effecting your calories in, it would be worth knowing...
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    @Ladyhawk...I agree with you. I do have a disorder, but I guess I am really wondering how many people in here have the same types of disorders. I guess that is why I said I was trying to gauge my normalcy. I mean, step into a gym and there are people throwing weights around or running for an hour on a treadmill and witness the same control issues...right?! Those dudes who drink a gallon of protein powder and clean jerk a million pounds aren't in it for health. They have some broken switch in their brains that says, "This is normal. This is acceptable. Do this to be healthy."

I feel like any mention of dysmorphia or eating disorders would be pushed aside. As an average height, 180 lbs guy, response to such claims would be dismissed. Do you agree?

Do you mean by a counselor? Not at all. ED/BD persons are actually not very often "skinny" or really "abnormal" - in part because most people do not have the continued discipline it takes to restrict/purge calories to the extent and length of time it takes to overcome the body's defense mechanisms. When you restrict cals at what I'd call a "moderate extreme" (say about 500-800 for an average woman, or 800-1100 for average man), you're giving the body JUST enough cals to tell it not to really start breaking everything down....YET. It can "survive" at this level for quite some time, and actually maintain or even GAIN weight - because the body is incredibly efficient at preserving the cals it does get. It's only when you get below those levels, where the body has no choice but to start breaking down all fat, muscle, bones, hair, teeth, etc to protect the vital systems, that you find the 70 lb anorexic.

Thus, counselors are quite used to seeing "normal" looking, or even obese, people with ED/BDD (and I don't mean ones with overeating disorders.) I might not guess it seeing your physical appearance, but all you'd have to do is say the things you've said here - I caught it, didn't I? :wink:

As for extreme bodybuilders or gym rats - that's a fuzzy line too. It's perfectly ok to have bodybuilding as a hobby or interest, whatever. But when you venture into the realm of taking unsafe supplements (hormones, steroids etc) it does of course become a problem and there are likely many bodybuilders who do actually have a dysmorphic disorder. I don't think you can compare it directly, but yes, it CAN be similar in nature.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that had this problem. Because, I started exercising it wants me to eat 2,000 calories a day. I could do that but I feel like I might lose control and go way over that. I limit myself to certain foods because it keeps me from losing control and eating what I shouldn't eat. But I like the suggestion of adding things to my meals to increase the calories. I'm just worried that if I eat more that 1200 calories I'll start to gain weight and I don't want to do that.

Brenda, I'd recommend you read these threads about metabolism. Might help alleviate your fears - you actually need to EAT to lose (in a healthy manner.) Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • BrianJLamb
    Options

I would suggest you invest in a HRM... 45mins on the elliptical for me is only 450 cals burned... I think for guys you may burn more, not sure, but if its effecting your calories in, it would be worth knowing...

Yeah...I have to get another one. I had a really good Polar watch monitor that did a bunch of stuff. I had it for 2 years and it just stopped working. Weird lines starting popping up all over the screen. I didnt feel like dropping another hundred and something dollars on a piece of equipment that would crap out in another year or two.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options

Do you mean by a counselor? Not at all. ED/BD persons are actually not very often "skinny" or really "abnormal" - in part because most people do not have the continued discipline it takes to restrict/purge calories to the extent and length of time it takes to overcome the body's defense mechanisms. When you restrict cals at what I'd call a "moderate extreme" (say about 500-800 for an average woman, or 800-1100 for average man), you're giving the body JUST enough cals to tell it not to really start breaking everything down....YET. It can "survive" at this level for quite some time, and actually maintain or even GAIN weight - because the body is incredibly efficient at preserving the cals it does get. It's only when you get below those levels, where the body has no choice but to start breaking down all fat, muscle, bones, hair, teeth, etc to protect the vital systems, that you find the 70 lb anorexic.

Thus, counselors are quite used to seeing "normal" looking, or even obese, people with ED/BDD (and I don't mean ones with overeating disorders.) I might not guess it seeing your physical appearance, but all you'd have to do is say the things you've said here - I caught it, didn't I? :wink:

As for extreme bodybuilders or gym rats - that's a fuzzy line too. It's perfectly ok to have bodybuilding as a hobby or interest, whatever. But when you venture into the realm of taking unsafe supplements (hormones, steroids etc) it does of course become a problem and there are likely many bodybuilders who do actually have a dysmorphic disorder. I don't think you can compare it directly, but yes, it CAN be similar in nature.

I appreciate your advice and concern :) Thanks for taking the time to respond :) I think that what I will do is try to work it out on my own, give myself a couple of weeks/months on here to see if the calorie counting and the food journal works and go from there. I would like to believe that healthy monitoring and seeing marked improvement while recognizing the things that I am eating to get there will help me get somewhat of a grip. I talked to my fiance last night. I told her that I probably have a problem. It only really shows itself when I focus ANY energy on eating healthy. If I am just eating what I want and not trying to eat healthy, I gorge myself on bad food regularly. When I try to take control of it, I go to the complete other side of the spectrum. Last night on the way home from work I was kindof giddy and excited, not because of my progress, but because I was hungry. There is a part of me that likes that feeling and views it as an accomplishment. I know it's wrong...it just is how it is. I will do some brainwork over the next few weeks.