pleasant surprise

Options
Hi ya'll,

I think I've mentioned before that I play on a netball team. I had always logged my calories for netball games as pretty low- around 150 - because we play four 10-minute quarters and in netball, you are restricted to where you can run on the court. So it is a very stop-and-start kind of game and I figured that I didn't burn too much out there on Monday nights.

HOWEVER, last night I very sneakily wore my HRM (we aren’t allowed to wear any watches or jewellery, so yes, I tied my watch INSIDE my shorts – hey, I was desperate!! :laugh: ) and discovered that I burned 401 calories!!! AND that includes having one quarter off cause we had so many players, AND playing one quarter as Goal Keeper, where you are very restricted and can barely run at all! So in 30 minutes of play, and only 20 minutes of very active play, I burned TONS more than I had ever estimated!

This may seem like a silly little post, but it was such a nice surprise to me- I was wondering why I am always so hungry on netball nights!!

Now I can’t wait to sneak my HRM into our basketball finals this weekend! :laugh:

Replies

• barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll,

I think I've mentioned before that I play on a netball team. I had always logged my calories for netball games as pretty low- around 150 - because we play four 10-minute quarters and in netball, you are restricted to where you can run on the court. So it is a very stop-and-start kind of game and I figured that I didn't burn too much out there on Monday nights.

HOWEVER, last night I very sneakily wore my HRM (we aren’t allowed to wear any watches or jewellery, so yes, I tied my watch INSIDE my shorts – hey, I was desperate!! :laugh: ) and discovered that I burned 401 calories!!! AND that includes having one quarter off cause we had so many players, AND playing one quarter as Goal Keeper, where you are very restricted and can barely run at all! So in 30 minutes of play, and only 20 minutes of very active play, I burned TONS more than I had ever estimated!

This may seem like a silly little post, but it was such a nice surprise to me- I was wondering why I am always so hungry on netball nights!!

Now I can’t wait to sneak my HRM into our basketball finals this weekend! :laugh:
  • 2Across
    Options
    Well, that certainly was a nice surprise. I tend to underestimate my activity also. Still uncomfortable with the thought of eating those extra calories.

Anita
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not a silly post at all. That is awesome!!! Enjoy those extra calories!!!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Not at all silly. Whenever my husband and I are out running or hiking, now he has started asking "did you wear it? how many calories?" And when I tell him the numbers, he is always like "that's not possible, that thing must be wrong". I've always underestimated. What a nice surprise for you! Hope you ate something nutritiously yummy.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Not at all silly. Whenever my husband and I are out running or hiking, now he has started asking "did you wear it? how many calories?" And when I tell him the numbers, he is always like "that's not possible, that thing must be wrong". I've always underestimated. What a nice surprise for you! Hope you ate something nutritiously yummy.

Haha, same with us! :laugh: Now, since he's a "little" :huh: bit heavier than me, he burns double, probably, but it's still fun to know how much you burn. I remember one point when I stopped logging my calories consumption, that he still used to asked and I'd be just: well, donno, ain't keeping track now.

I don't find the post silly either - way to go, girl! Keep yourself active! Playing a sport is a bit more rewarding that the gym, cos you have a more immediate target - winning :wink: . So go win! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    YES! How cool for you!! Extra enjoyment from an already fun activity!!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Arent heart rate monitors the best!!!! i just found out that i burn almost 800 calories from doing an hour of ZUMBA!!!
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a nice surprise! You lil rebel for breakin the rules, heehehe! :laugh:

Makes me want a HRM even MORE now! :bigsmile:
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a nice surprise! You lil rebel for breakin the rules, heehehe! :laugh:

The girls on my team thought I was crazy for having this big watch hanging and flopping around in my shorts- they said the umpires were going to throw me out of the game cause there are no boys allowed in our league and the new addition bouncing around in my shorts might confuse them! :laugh:

As for the HRM--- do it. They are SO GOOD. Not a single regret over mine- though you may want to get one that is more easily concealed :wink:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

The girls on my team thought I was crazy for having this big watch hanging and flopping around in my shorts- they said the umpires were going to throw me out of the game cause there are no boys allowed in our league and the new addition bouncing around in my shorts might confuse them! :laugh:

As for the HRM--- do it. They are SO GOOD. Not a single regret over mine- though you may want to get one that is more easily concealed :wink:

:laugh: Good thing you didn't get caught! :laugh:

So, what kind of HRM do you have? I've heard a lot about the Polar F6.......just haven't done any research on others.