From active to desk job !!!

Options
I have decided I better get serious! I have never had a desk job and a workaholic should never take a desk job!
I have gained 110 pounds in 5 years!
Now comes the hardest part....I have to lose it!
Luckily my health is good, low cholesterol, low blood pressure, no diabetis.
I am hoping others out there have some insight for me about how to do what needs to be done to lose the gained pounds and get back in shape!

Replies

• mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to take a look at your diet and get active again! You can do it!
  • lillieann1952
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement....very appreciated!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Work exercise into your routine. Don't do cardio only. Strength training will help build muscle that burns more calories than fat, thus boosting your metabolism. If at all possible- Walk to work. Or if you live several miles from work, park the car a few blocks away and walk. Walk at lunch. Watch portions, log your calories, be honest with what you eat. Don't hyper-restrict yourself. If you want the weight to stay off, you need to make changes you can stick with. Best of luck to ya!
  • cbear9264
    Options
    I know how you feel. My job used to mean walking customers around our facility and now it's mostly phone calls and emails. Yuk! I added at least 30 minutes of walking at lunch each day and I aim for 4 days in the gym each week. Haven't really started seeing results yet buy it's only been a little over a week. At least I feel better :)
  • lillieann1952
    Options
    I really appreciate all the interest! It makes me feel like I have a whole group of like minded individuals helping me along!
  • Tulipa
    Tulipa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Joining here was the first step.

I'm kind of similar, gained 30 lb when I changed job and now sitting at my desk I tend to pick and pick. I joined here couple of months ago, lost a few lb, things went a bit haywire and I put them back on + a few extra.
    Re-logged in yesterday for the first time in ages. I rearranged my desk this week so that its like I'm at a new desk for the new me. Don't know if it was this or my refreshed resolve but I've avoided snacking at work since Monday - which is huge for me.

Best of luck.

Tupila
  • lillieann1952
    Options
    I really have good intentions of getting away from the desk, but phone starts ringing, emails pop up, and it seems I am always behind anyway, so it reinforces me just staying at my desk and eating lunch there!
    BUT....no more...I am determined to break the habit of sitting and working through all breaks and lunch...
    I also have been walking at lunch, and moving more!
    My nephew tells me"MOVE MORE...EAT LESS" he is right....but he is 6ft 4inches and weighs all of 150 pounds!!!!
    Gotta love him!!!!!
  • Constantiaps
    Options
    Hi Lillieann,

My story is similar to yours.

I gained 135lbs over 11 years.

Since starting the program I am on 4 weeks ago, I have lost 16 pounds simply by cutting out the processed garbage and going to organic, and increasing my walking to as much as 3 hours a day (easy to do since I quit my IT career and started my own security company).

myfitnesspal was recommended to me by a friend, and I have been using it like clockwork. I actually find it fun, and I plan on posting some organic recipies soon.

Good Luck!!!
    :happy:
  • lillieann1952
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations!! 16 in 4 weeks is amazing!
    I will be looking forward to your organic receipes!
    I will try cutting out the processed foods too and hope for the best!
    At least I will get exercise cutting up foods and scrubbing the veges!!
  • lillieann1952
    Options
    I have a question out there for all of you. I am up to walking 20 to 25 minutes a day now. I am increasing this by a few minutes every couple of days. What kind of strength training can I start with that I could handle at first?
    I have lost 11.8 pounds since I started really paying attention, but want to lose a total of at least 100 pounds.......
    any suggestions?