Side dishes besides just potatoes and corn

Options
I need some help it seems not matter what I cook...chicken, meatloaf, hamburger etc.....the only side dishes I can seem to come up with is some sort of potatoes....mashed, baked, sliced and corn. Sometime green beans instead of corn. Just wondering if anyone has some great side dishes that I can introduce into my family besides the same dishes every night.

Thanks!
Amanda

Replies

• sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love to do rice. You can add veggies to it like peas and carrotts or just eat it plain. That is one of my favorites. As far as veggies go I like ot get the bags you steam that have mixed veggies in them. I find that my kids will eat those with out fussing to much. Good Luck!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    With chicken I almost always have wild rice and steamed broccoli. If I want something a little spicy I will fix chicken with taco seasoning and eat it with black beans mixed with salsa. I try to stay away from potatoes and corn - not as healthy! Also try making a salad with dark green lettuce/spinach. I count that as a side these days! If I eat a sandwich or a wrap I eat wasabi almonds instead of chips. I come from a family that fixes potatoes, corn, and bread with every meal so I know what you are going through! Good luck!
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    Quinoa
    Chinese Greens
    Collared Greens
    Okra
    Sweet Potato
    Yucca
    Plantains
    Chayote
    Beans
    Grilled Veggies (peppers, zuchinni, brocolli, etc.)
    Lots and lots of choices.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    haha I have the same issue. A side salad is always good. I would pair up fun flavors, like baked/grilled lemon pepper chicken with a fruit salad side. White rice is acceptable in small portions. Replace your white potatoes for sweet potatoes, they are healthier! Find a good recipe for three bean salad (it's an interesting flavor, worth trying once!). Instead of using heavy dinner rolls, just toast wheat bread.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus
    Roasted sliced carrots (add a pinch of cayenne for a little kick)
    Sweet potato fries
    Noodles with vegetables
    Rice with vegetables
    Zucchini straws or slices
    Yellow squash slices

You can roast just about any veggie in the oven with a little olive oil and light salt and pepper. It's easy and delicious.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus
    Steamed Broccoli
    Roasted Carrots
    Cauliflower (roasted or mashed)
    Grilled squash and zucchini
    Sweet potatoes
    Cabbage
    Cooked apples

That's all I can think of right now!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice mixed with pea's and carrots!!!
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just yesterday did a search for side dishes, myself! I found EatingWell.com to be the most useful resource.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/quick_side_dish_recipes

We tried the Oven-Fried Zucchini Sticks tonight, (yummy, but in desperate need of a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese,) and we'll be trying the Green Beans with Bacon and Hazelnuts later in the week.

Hope this helped!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Thought of some more:

Pearled barley, lightly seasoned (mixed with veggies if you like)
    Split pea dahl
    Cooked lentils
    Black beans and rice (or just black beans seasoned with a little bacon and spices)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies. Green Giant Steamers are pretty good.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend investing in a vegetable steamer. We have an Oster and it works GREAT. Throw any fresh veggies in there (broc, asparagus, carrots, peppers, onions, mushrooms, eggplant, etc.) and give it a little seasoning (I like garlic powder and pepper): DELICIOUS!!!!!

I like salads for sides, and also soup.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    (Didn't mean to post that twice....whoops!)
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Tonight we had roast pork with mashed potatoes for the boys, polenta for me, and steamed yellow squash and broccoli. Other things we do:

Quinoa
    Couscous
    Sauteed Green Beans
    Steamed Edamame
    Baby Carrots
    Fruit Salad
    Rice of all kinds
    Refried Beans
  • busub
    Options
    Thought of some more:

Pearled barley, lightly seasoned (mixed with veggies if you like)
    Split pea dahl
    Cooked lentils
    Black beans and rice (or just black beans seasoned with a little bacon and spices)

YES.... dahl!

Lentils are the bomb.com

Even just boiled and lightly buttered... paired w/ some chicken sausage, grilled tomato and a poached egg... great breakfast.
  • busub
    Options
    Oh and chard cooked w/ EVOO, garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Any kind of steamed, roasted or grilled vegetable wold be good. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, summer squash, butternut squash, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, etc. Rice is good too, and so is salad.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Brown rice with garlic, minced green peppers and onions. Also maybe find a health food store and experiment w/ some different grains. Millet, Amaranth, Quinoa, grits. All good. Any always add a veggie, either a salad, soup, or something steamed.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • want125
    Options
    Coucous is super easy, and can add onions, tomotoes and/or feta. Steamers frozen veggies are also super easy and tasty. You can roast an assortment of veggies w/ some olive oil--just chop up what you like, throw on a baking/cookie sheet, season and bake at 400 degree, turn them after 10 min, and roast another 10 min or so. You could do whole wheat pasta too, but I'm not good at portion sizes w/ pasta.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I use ww pasta as a side dish. Just some garlic, pepper and some olive oil on it (maybe a little parm cheese if I'm low on calories!) We haven't had potatoes in ages. Usually have a salad, pasta, rice or just a huge pile of steamed veggies!