quick, simple recipes for tofu?

Options
how do you cook your tofu?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu. Hands down one of my favorite easy preparations. I also love tofu cooked in a way that gives it a crunchy hard outside and warm soft inside... but I don't know how to do that very well. :laugh:

Here's the scrambled tofu recipe I use:
    http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    I buy extra-firm, drain it very well in paper towels then cube it up or cut it into strips and either pan fry them in a little bit of olive oil until golden brown on the outside, or I broil them on parchment paper with a glaze I've whipped up or purchased.

Really, I pan-fry it 99% of the time I make tofu. I can then toss it into any stir-fry or veggie dish I've made and it still absorbs flavors wonderfully.

In Indian and Thai style curries, I don't pan-fry... I simply toss in the cubes to cook with the spices and the end result is reminiscent of paneer cheese cubes.
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    Here's a great link that might help you out with preparing tofu!

http://www.life123.com/food/vegetarian-vegan/vegetarian/ten-ways-to-cook-tofu.shtml

I forgot to mention that sauteeing it is pretty darn easy and very tasty! I <3 tofu. :)
    Have fun!
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    agreed with the thin strips or cubes and then fried with a little bit of olive oil in a skillet. Nice and crispy on the outside and super satisfying. I like putting salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, italian seasoning etc. in the pan with mine too. Depends on what I'll be putting the tofu in
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been checking out veganyumyum.com for the past little bit and she has some amazing tofu recipes...bookmarking like crazy!
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also love tofu cooked in a way that gives it a crunchy hard outside and warm soft inside... but I don't know how to do that very well. :laugh:
    I press my tofu with a plate and something heavy to get all the moisture out. Firm to Extra-firm works best.
    Heat your oven to about 425. On a baking sheet, spread tofu cut about 1/4"-1/2" thick strips, toss in a little bit of oil. Bake for about 10 minutes, flip over, and bake another 10 minutes.
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh, and here is one of my absolute favorite. it's not quick, but doesn't require a lot of attention.

tomato tofu
    • 4-5 large tomatoes, not too ripe, sliced very thin.
    • 2 lbs tofu
    • 2 small yellow onion sliced very thin
    • 1 Tbs minced garlic (dehydrated garlic minced garlic)
    • 2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 1/4 cup rice vinegar (maybe more than this)
    • 1 small can tomato sauce hunts
    • 3 cups water
    • fresh cilantro to taste (about 1/2 cup maybe more)
    • red pepper to taste and sriracha!
    • oil (I like ¼ tsp)
    Directions:
    fry the tofu first, until golden and still soft.
    chop the garlic, onion, and tomato very fine. put some oil in a big pan(about 1/8 cup). sauté the garlic for a few minutes, then add the onion. cook until it's soft but still white. add the tomatoes. when the mixture comes to a boil add the tofu and all the spices except the cilantro. simmer for 1 1/2 hours. add cilantro 10 minutes before serving.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu. Hands down one of my favorite easy preparations. I also love tofu cooked in a way that gives it a crunchy hard outside and warm soft inside... but I don't know how to do that very well. :laugh:

Here's the scrambled tofu recipe I use:
    http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/

if you toss the tofu cubes in a light coating of cornstarch before panfrying, it will come out with an amazing crust! i love my tofu with ponzu sauce, diced scallions, and a tad of sesame oil.
  • nepenthes59
    nepenthes59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tofu is my most favorite food~! I often make "Firecracker Bean Curd" from Veg Times
    http://bit.ly/eKn8gn

Firecracker bean curd

1/3 cup veg stock
    3 tbs soy sauce
    1 tbs canola
    1 tbs minced garlic
    1 tbs minced ginger
    8 whole dried red chili peppers
    1 1/2 tbs chili sauce
    1 lb med tofu
    1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
    2 tsp sesame seed oil
    2 green onions

combine soy sauce & broth in a bowl
    heat oil in wok over high heat
    add garlic & ginger & chili peppers cook until fragrant about 1 minute
    add chili sauce cook 10 seconds
    add veg broth mixture and tofu simmer 2 minutes
    add cornstarch mixture & cook, stirring until sauce boils & thickens about 30 seconds
    sprinkle with sesame oil and garnish w/green onions
    serve over rice
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I heard a guy once say that he toasted extra firm tofu, so I tried it, and I love it!

Take your tofu and slice it into thin, bread-like slices, but not so thin that they split in half.

Pop them in your toaster on medium high, or in a toaster over.

After that, you can put them on a sandwich with whatever else you like, or I like to dip them in Tamari (soy sauce).

Another fun thing you could try is tofu lasagna. I don't have a recipe, but I've tried it (recipe was found on the back of a package of tofu). You can google search "tofu lasagna" and find tons of recipes.
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to make tofu takes a little longer then just pan frying but the end result is an amazing texture. I can't just pan fry my tofu because while I love a crispy outside, I hate a mushy inside. SO i dry it with a paper towel, cube it, lay in on a baking sheet (spray the pan with spray oil first) and bake it at 350 for about 30-45 minutes until it is golden brown and the cubes have shrunk a little. The longer you cook it the drier it gets. After I cook it until I feel its done, I toss it with some stir fry sauce and serve it over quinoa with veggies. I also like to bake it and serve to my daycare kids as tofu nuggets which they dip into sauces, or marinate first, bake it, and use it as a protein in salads, wraps and sandwiches. I love the texture of firm/super firm tofu when baked.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    how do you cook your tofu?

Looks like you're from Hawaii... I was raised there, but moved to the mainland for college. Any way, I like mines raw. Silken tofu topped w/ grated ginger, green onion, bonito flakes and shoyu. Winnahs!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I prefer extra firm tofu. I slice it into four equal slices. Place several papertowels on a cutting board, put the tofu on the towels, top than with several more towles, put another cutting board on that and then place something heavy on the top cutting board. Allow that is sit for 10-30 minutes. This will dry it out and allow you to get it crisp on the outside with you pan fry it. Cut the tofu into cubes.

I put a little sesame oil in a pan, like a teaspoon and saute. You can add a little soy sauce if desired. Saute until browned. You can toss this into any stir fry, asian inspired dish or curry.