couch potato needing ideas

Options
Health professionals told me I need to do a minimum of 30 minutes exercise 3 times a week. I haven't exercised for at least 15 years (my eldest is 14) give me some ideas for fun things to do. As a child I was a dancer, not into sport at all.

BTW this is not about weight loss it is about health and fitness. I don't want to lose weight in fact I'm here to make sure I eat enough calories without eating fatty foods so I maintain my weight.

Replies

• busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    Your eldest is 14? Do you have a Wii console or Xbox 360? Get some of those dance games and work up a sweat. Get the kids involved too.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Wii Boxing or Zumba (dancing) are both great ways to have fun and get the whole family involved!!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, the Wii is fun. Otherwise do you like classes or videos? If you like dance Zumba might be the way to go for you. I also have some workout dance videos. Some are lame, but some are fun. You just have to try different ones. Or you could take up actual dance. Options are unlimited!
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    Ohh yeah I do zumba with my two year old, it rocks!
  • katerinab
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking videos are good :)
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Well, you said you used to dance, so... crank up the tunes and dance! It's a great cardio workout. Go old-school gym class and do jumping jacks, pushups, stretches, that kind of thing.

When the weather breaks, take a brisk walk outside. If you live in town, walk to the store or wherever you need to go (take a backpack if you're worried about being able to carry stuff home). Start a garden. All kinds of fun stuff to do outside when it gets warm. :)
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    We have a PS3, I've been contemplating a Wii. I'm sure the kids will have a ball and it involves a lot more movement than the PS3, I wonder if there are zumba type 'games' for the PS3. I should go down to the game shops and have a look.

I do have an exercise bike somewhere that I could get out and use, I suppose I lack motivation though. (I've had depression for the last couple of years so I really need to force myself to get out and do stuff sometimes). I do have an MP3 player so I can put in some dance tracks and get a good workout on the bike.

Those that do zumba what footwear do you wear? I don't even own a pair of runners so that is another expense I will have to factor in to the equation.

I think I need harrassing...