To eat at night or not at all?

Options
Sometimes I'll realize that I have 200 cals left at like 8pm . Should I eat them or is better not to? I don't do it on purpose. sometimes I am just too busy during the day running around with my 2 kids or I'll unexpectly excercise in the evening.

Replies

• Nicolekp
    Nicolekp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have 200 calories at the end of the night and you have consumed at least 1200 calories you don't need to eat it. Your body will go into starvation mode if you deprive it too much so make it at least 1200.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Depends when you go to bed. If it's shorter than 2 hours to bed time stick to protein. It wouldn't be consumed at least 1200 it would be net 1200 or more depending on your current weight and height.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Make it a snack that is healthy if you are hungry.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I previously asked a question very similar this week. And got the answers of - it's OK as long as it's occasionally and one poster made a good point, IMO that it actually doesn't hurt to eat protein late as it keeps blood sugar from completely crashing at night. So I'm getting a few protein bars to have on hand just in case.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't.

Just listen to your body and it'll all be simple.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If its that late and i have calories left and I'm hungry i eat, if I'm not hungry I don't eat.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I previously asked a question very similar this week. And got the answers of - it's OK as long as it's occasionally and one poster made a good point, IMO that it actually doesn't hurt to eat protein late as it keeps blood sugar from completely crashing at night. So I'm getting a few protein bars to have on hand just in case.

Watch the protein bars, they are often carb loaded too. A protein powder with < 5gr carbs per serving may be a better option. You can always catch up over the next few days. Can also add 50 or so to other meals and snacks during the day.
  • dr1981
    dr1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at all times through out the day and night and never had any problems losing weight. Falling asleep is a different story.
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think you would be better eating the extra 200 (or more) calories earlier in the day.

I noticed you're often not eating breakfast (coffee is not breakfast)!! Breakfast is what will fire up your metobolic rate for the day, so it's really the most important meal. Plus, if you're logging your calories as you go, you can adjust later snacks and meals (or even exercise) to make sure you come in on target. Instead of having a sugary, fat-laden donut with your coffee, have a peice of grain toast and a poached egg for breakfast. Simple, only 194 calories, and you get protein (which makes you feel fuller, for longer) and carbs (which will give you energy).

Later in the day (after dinner) try eating a small handlful of nuts (raw almonds or something). That's my quick fix solution if I know I need to bulk up my calories for the day. they're full of great fats and lots of cals.

I hope this helps :)
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    If you are hungry for those 200 calories, then eat them. If you aren't, then don't. If you find its a pattern...every night you find you are 200 short, then figure out a better eating schedule.

Honestly...I think folks get to hung up on the little things too early in their weight loss journeys. If you're trying to lose the last few pounds, training for a marathon, trying to be a fitness model...these little tweaks start to matter more. But when you're a regular person, keeping for the most part to your calories and exercise goals is usually enough!