Feet and Toes going numb?

Options
2»

Replies

• medavis510
    Options
    Hello! I notice the numbness as well. I think it's from putting weight on the toes and not on the heel when running. I am copying what I read from www.elipticalhome.com , it helps explain.

"Using an elliptical trainer is very similar to standing motionless in one place. The low impact nature of an elliptical trainer is the result of your feet never leaving the foot pedals. While great for your knees and other joints, it’s what can cause your feet to lose sensation.

It’s important to wear well-cushioned athletic footwear when exercising on an elliptical trainer, but this may not be enough. The root cause of the problem is the constant pressure of your body weight on the nerves in your feet. "

Hope this helps!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Ok, here we go....
    Shoes too tight obviously.
    As another member said, you feet swell while exercise. Excellent observation.
    Pants too tight.
    Underwear too tight.
    I'm sorry but, overweight dudes and babes can have blood pressure spikes and dips isolated to extremities.
    Poor posture.
    Inadvertently holding your breath. Very common.
    Locking your knees on the back step.
    Dehydration.
    Tight socks.
    Fungus... yuck.
    Stress fracture in foot or ankle bones. Very common.

My pinky fingers go numb when I lay in bed reading. In my case it is a result of blood flow restriction in my elbows. My biceps put pressure on my inner elbow which slows blood flow to my fore arms. It's irritating, I know how you feel.

When you notice the numbness, take a short break and walk to get your blood flowing. Don't ignore it.
  • Lindsey72386
    Options
    Got a lot of feedback on this and definately gonna try the whole loosening the shoe laces! Thanks everyone!!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I just bought some new shoes. I also was told to loosen them. I must not have had them loose enough because they still went numb. Glad I am not alone
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. I researched it and found it's most likely because of the constant pressure on the nerves in the foot. I wiggle my foot occasionally to alleviate the pressure.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Mine do too on the elliptical come to think of it. HMMMMM?
  • Vgomez1977
    Options
    HI.. I HAVE THIS ISSUE TOO... I NOTICE IT WHEN I WORK OUT MORE THAN THIRTY MINS ON MY ELLIPTICAL (TIMES MAY CHANGE FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE) IF I WORK OUT FOR 30 MINS AND TRY TO MOVE MY FEET AROUND JUST A LIL I NOTICE IT DOESNT HAPPEN AS MUCH. ALSO LIKE OTHER REPLIES SHOES COULD BE TIGHT. :) GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    I used to have this happen everytime I ran , it would only be one foot going numb.
    Since Ive dropped 10kg and a little fitter it doesnt happen anymore
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on every machine no matter how I tight I tie my shoes. I have very wide feet with really high arches and finding the right fit is a pain! I just wiggle my toes a bit in my shoes and it eases the pain (or lack there of!)

I had a similar problem - recently starting going to physio for knee pain, which apparently is actually related to my high arches. My physio-therapist suggested orthotics. I just started wearing them to the gym and things have been much better so far!
  • Mjanegranger
    Mjanegranger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have not had this problem but please post your reply as to whether not tying your shoes so tightly works. I have heard the same thing that having the shoes too tight will cut off the circulation making them numb. Let us know if this has helped you.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!! it sucks. and i don't even tie my shoe laces, i just tuck them in. i just slow down once it starts and shake it out for a few seconds.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Here's an article with some tips! Hope this helps:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Elliptical-Trainer-Sleepy-Foot-Syndrome&id=78854

TY Sherri, I always wondered too- that totally explains it- everytime it happened I would shake my feet and wiggle my feet- of course it's good for joints, but apparently horrible for circulation lol :)