Hi! breastfeeding mom here..

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm a fattie that's working on losing some weight. I had a baby 10 months ago I'm breastfeeding. I've really been struggling to lose any weight despite my attempts to eat healthier. I recently started working out *gag* Does it get easier?

I'm looking for any tips anyone has!!

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time losing weight while I'm nursing. I'm still nursing my 17 month old twice a day and he's just finally (in the last couple of months) nursing in frequently enough that it's a little easier.
  • Japangela
    Japangela Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have a nine-month-old (he's the youngest of six children, ages 8 and under, no twins) and I'm still breastfeeding full time, too. I was concerned about that when I joined this site, but I figure if I go over my caloric intake only a little bit that it's okay, as long as I'm eating healthy and my milk supply is still good. I have a hard time around this age because I get so busy and Baby is eating some jar food now... I don't want to wean early like I did with the last four, because he's my last.

Anyway, you can "friend" me if you want. I could use all the comraderie I can get. I hate exercising, too. So I take tap dancing lessons, learn dance moves off of youtube, and enjoy yardwork. I try to get my exercise in by doing stuff I enjoy. Walking on a treadmill is depressing!!!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi! My baby is 9 months old and I just started here last month. I hadn't lost a single lb in those 9 months, but what I found after joining here was I wasn't eating near enough. Here's what I do: I have MFP set to lose 1 lb a week. I add "Breastfeeding Infant 6-12 Months" to my food log daily which gives me 300 extra calories, and when I work out I eat all of my exercise calories. So I'm eating 2100-2200 calories a day, but my net calorie intake is around 1540 (the goal MFP gave me). Doing this I've lost close to 2 lbs a week (only one week did I lose 1 lb). Keep an eye on your net calories and make sure they match your MFP goal, it really does work!
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to the site and congrats on the pretty baby :)

It's not easy but with consistent work, it will get easier. Your stomach will shrink so you won't get as hungry and as you get into shape you'll be able to enjoy working out a lot more.

Try doing workouts that you enjoy. I hate running on the treadmill so I avoid it and go to boxing classes instead.

For your baby's sake you should probably go slowly and not lose more than about a pound a week. This site had some good guidelines: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

Good luck!
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    I found that even when I was working out everyday while I was breastfeeding I couldn't lose those last 5lbs of baby weight. as soon as I stopped breastfeeding I started to lose. It's like your body is in "protect baby" mode and will hold onto the extra for baby's sake
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Friend me too! I am currently bfing a 4mo. my supply dropped when i started working out....so always eat 300-500 over my allotted kcals....seems to help...that and fluids! good luck to you all!
  • kringhand
    Options
    Thanks for the support ladies. I'm hoping that the daily food logs will help me get an idea of what's going on. I don't over eat most days and eat a pretty healthy vegetarian diet. We are doing baby lead weaning and I'm still nursing every three hours so I'm very cautious about my milk supply dropping.
    I really should look into doing some sort of workout that I enjoy. I would be totally satisfied if I can lose 1-2lbs a week!

Yay for breastfeeding moms :)
  • Japangela
    Japangela Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ACK! I didn't know we could add "breastfeeding infant" on our exercise/food log! AAAAAACK! Go me! I get an extra snack tonight! LOL!
  • WildcatMom82
    Options
    Thanks for the support ladies. I'm hoping that the daily food logs will help me get an idea of what's going on. I don't over eat most days and eat a pretty healthy vegetarian diet. We are doing baby lead weaning and I'm still nursing every three hours so I'm very cautious about my milk supply dropping.
    I really should look into doing some sort of workout that I enjoy. I would be totally satisfied if I can lose 1-2lbs a week!

Yay for breastfeeding moms :)
    We do BLW as well :) It makes it so much easier to eat healthy because so much of what we ate before I wouldn't give my daughter. Though it was pretty exciting when she went to bed early tonight and I got to have pizza, lol. I did notice a dip in my supply about 2 weeks in, so I backed off on my workouts just a little and made lactation cookies. My supply went back up and I actually even pump a little extra here and there now. And the cookies help me hit my calorie goals the days I'm on the low side.
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    what are lactation cookies? I am intrigued!
  • trunorcalgirl
    Options
    Hey breastfeeding mommies!
    Nice to see there are many women in the same boat...I have an 8mon old and haven't been able to lose any baby weight. In fact I GAINED a few lbs! WTH!?
    Even when I was working out 4 or 5 times a week I wasn't losing anything.
    I'm just starting to get back in to the workouts and eating healthier and less!
    I could use some support too. wanna be my friend? lol
  • focused24
    Options
    Try dancing. It's a fun, gentle way to get back in shape after baby. My husband & I started square dancing (fun and easy) after I had my first baby and the weight melted off. I was 26 yrs old at the time.
  • WildcatMom82
    Options
    what are lactation cookies? I am intrigued!
    I made these 2 weeks ago and am just getting to the end of them. When I made them I got 54 out of it which came out to be 125 calories a cookie (that was with adding a cup of coconut as well). The oats, yeast, flax seed, and the extra coconut I added are all foods that help with milk production. I've also seen versions that say up to 4 TBSP of the Brewer's yeast, but it's kind of a potent flavor. I put the flax seed meal in my oatmeal in the morning as well, it's good stuff!

Lactation Cookies

T hese are super yummy and help boost your milk supply! The recommended "dose" is 4 cookies per day. This recipe makes a lot - about 60-70 cookies - so it can be halved if necessary.

I N G R E D I E N T S

1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    4 Tablespoons water
    2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal (no substitutions)
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups thick cut oats
    1 cup chocolate chips
    2 Tablespoons Brewer's Yeast (no substitutions)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Mix 2 T of flaxseed meal and water, set aside 3-5 minutes. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Stir flaxseed mix into butter mix and add vanilla. Beat until well blended.

Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and choc chips. Add butter mix to dry ingredients. Stir in the oats and then the choc chips. Drop on baking sheet and bake for 8 - 12 minutes