Not enough in a day!

Options
I am totally new to MFP so any tips are great!

I work a desk job so I don't burn many calories during the day, and I live in VT so 6 months out of the year I am not going to go for a walk during my lunch break. I do exercise every other day and on those days I "earn" extra calories. But on the other days I have only 1300 calories according to MFP. After I have my breakfast and coffee (about 300/350 calories) and lunch (I try to stay around 350 calories there) if I have a snack (100 calories) I am left with only 500 calories for dinner. I find myself HUNGRY - and then I snack. Has anyone adjusted away from the amount that MFP recommends?

Replies

• lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have adjusted is my goals of how much I want to lose a week. The more you want to go, the less calories you can eat. So if you want to set it for a little slower pace, you'll get more calories! Otherwise, there are some great workout DVDs that you can get and still get in some exercise on the other days! I live in WI, so I know about the cold. I just do stuff inside. Good luck!
  • Sheila1968
    Options
    I live in a so-so climate myself (often too hot or too cold to exercise outdoors). I lift weights 3 x a week and on the other days I do some kind of cardio - walking, riding our exercise bike, or using this cool rock-stepper I got for $40 that I love! It's absolutely quiet, easy on my knees, and I can use it while I read or watch TV. I also have a desk job and simply HAVE to exercise every day or I balloon up. :( Find something you like that you can do for 20 minutes a day or so. It all adds up.

Good luck!
  • katacha999
    Options
    vegetables vegetables vegetables! You can eat an absurd amount of broccoli before you hit 100 cal! The more you pull your carbs from veggies (try and avoid white potatoes) and fruit (although try and keep that lower than veggies as higher in sugar) and keep away from breads. Finally limit meats & dairy. Don't get me wrong - I am a total carnivore - the bulk of any of my meal calories are meat - lean only to keep fat down. I am currently on a 1200CAL/day and I train 6/wk (weight, cardio & yoga) - I think I met my caloric allotment once - other than that I am often at least 100 - 200CAL under (that's including the extra allotment for training). I find my rest day with no training the hardest. So I understand, but I find if I am thinking about noshing - I get up put on my shoes and go for a walk (I live in Toronto CAN, I only have 4 mos - 5 mos of warm sunny days - the rest it's slush, snow and ice!) I shovel snow, walk, toboggan! Anything! just to get me out of the house a way from the fridge. Another trick my friend Cy does is she pre-plans her calories by putting in what she wants to eat for the day - break, snack, lunch, snack, dinner - and then she knows - and if she is over - she can decide what to cut out, cut back etc. on. I've tried this for nights I know I am going out for dinner - I'll look up the menu online and decide what I am going to eat and log the calories before I am there. It works.
  • jnewton26
    jnewton26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to find time to workout, but it is best to try. My schedule lends to working out, but on days that I know i have no time, I just wake up at 5 a.m. and go on a run or do an indoor circuit in my living room (I have an apartment, so no one can use space as an excuse). You have to remember that working out is for your health and should be enjoyed, too many people think of working out as a burden.
  • laurainvt
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your feedback!! I know changing my habits is going to be the hardest hurdle! I love raw veggies so I will just need to keep them stocked to hold me over!!