Heart Rate Monitors Suggestions and Comments

Options
I am going to buy a heart rate monitor watch and I wanted your opinions/advice on the best one. The main reason why I want one is because I take a Zumba class and I am curious to know how many calories I am burning. This watch will also help me track my calories when I bike in the spring/summer. I want to know what an accurate kind of watch to get. Do you know of any brands that are inaccurate? I am willing to spend close to $100. However I am all for "more bang for your buck". So if there is a cheap one that is accurate I wouldn't mind buying that. Also should I invest in the chest strap as well? I don't want to just buy the first one I see so all of your thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    CHEST STRAP YES DO NOT GET ONE WITHOUT IT

I GOT ONE FROM WALMART FOR $47.99 AND LIKE IT I USE IT EVERY DAY FOR ABOUT 10 TOO 12 HOURS
  • DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would like to see what others say, because I'm in the same boat.
  • happy115
    Options
    Chest strap is a must. I love my Polar F6
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    definitely go with a chest strap---I love my polar FT4
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    I got mine from Walmart for less than 50 bucks:)
  • mislove68
    Options
    Chest strap is a must. I also suggest one that you can change the battery too.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 , there wasnt much difference between the FT7 and FT4 so I went the cheaper option.

I cant fault it. It does what its supposed to do.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would like to see what others say, because I'm in the same boat.

BUMP:smile:
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :smile: HEY I DON'T EXERCISE WITHOUT MY POLAR F6..IT'S A GREAT TOOL..GOOD LUCK..ISSY
  • rflowers7
    Options
    Love my Polar FT7, definitely get one with a chest strap for more accurate measurements. Has user replaceable batteries in the watch and the transmitter, I don't know what model they started that with, but nice to not have to take it to someone to replace when you get to that point. Wear it whenever I work out or do a lot of physical activity, like shoveling ice and snow :P
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Polar Ft40, Love it would buy it again. A body composition scale will help also. I have found that I didn't know how to eat. In the initial stages I was starving my body and losing muscle mass. Data data data is the key.
  • ladyccp
    ladyccp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    U HAVE TO GET A CHEST STRAP.... I have a new balance(N4) one from target..it was 74.00...i love it...its white so its really girly and cute...just my style....:smile::smile:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Chest strap for sure.

I have a Garmin Forerunner, it was more on the pricey side, however, it does all kind of stuff. It also logs to a website when I just walk in the room with it. I have all my workouts, runs, hikes, walks, bicycle rides GPS mapped on the screen and linked to a calendar. It lets me set goals all kinds of cool things and motivators. When I get fitter, I can set goals in the monitor itself and it beeps when I'm slowing down etc... It will also tell you your cadence on the bike --- so, if you do that serious, it's awesome.

I love it - HOWEVER, for all that I've learned with the heart rate monitor, just having one - ANY ONE, is an awesome tool and a must if you are going to get serious.

I got mine as a gift. If I hadn't, I probably would have bought a cheaper one until it just didn't work any more then I'd bump up to a more expensive model.

All I know is that my exercise program took off after I received the Garmin as a gift --- it is so motivating :)
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar 6.... I wont exercise without it!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bodybugg all the way...it is with me at ALL times and you can't cheat it...your intesity level differs day to day, some days you are just more into something than other days...apparently today, for example, I was a slug...actually did not even burn my base calories, much less more! Other days I am in constant motion...and I get "credit" for it, as it actually measures calories burned, not just heart rate!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft40, Love it would buy it again. A body composition scale will help also. I have found that I didn't know how to eat. In the initial stages I was starving my body and losing muscle mass. Data data data is the key.

Ditto....I read that if you log and keep track of data you are 33% more likely to succeed in your weight loss goals.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Brand DOES matter with HRMs. I paid 60 bucks for a MIO drive and it WAY over estimates. It said I was burning 800 calories when it was more around 300. I am getting a Polar FT40 as a gift and it should arrive tomorrow. Someone I know already has a Polar FT40 and trust me if you want one that actually works, polar in general is the way to go. The one I got is more expensive but it is nicer. They have cheaper ones but no matter which you get your moneys worth! Definitely get an HRM with a CHEST STRAP. My MIO did not have one which is why it was inaccurate. It had no way of continuously measuring my hear rate. There are different polars for different prices if you do want to check it out. You can check out the cheaper ones and compare all of them on their website and get them for like 20 bucks cheaper on ebay! Good luck!