1200 Calories?

Options
Some days I have a hard time eating a minimum of 1200 calories. MFP says I should consume around 1300 and my doc says 1500. I know the dangers of not consuming 1200, but on a day like today when I've only consumed 900 and I'm not really hungry I'd typically drink a few beers to add cals or eat a very unhealthy pop tart. I know part of my issue is that I'm a teacher and when at school I'm so busy that even getting a snack in is difficult.

HELP, what are some more appropriate foods to eat on a day like today?
Amy

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and other nuts (as well as peanut butter, cashew butter, etc.) are high in calories and good fats, but not super-filling. Might be good to have a can of nuts in your desk and nosh a couple between classes. Yogurt and cheese are also good for healthy calories, so perhaps you could have that as an end-of-the-day snack when you get home, or after dinner for dessert.
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    if i have alot of extra calories i make a smoothie or have high calorie item thats not unhealthy like nuts, almond butter, avocado...ect.
  • JodyDawkins
    Options
    You might consider using a protien or muscle-building shake.
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A sandwich will usually increase the calorie in-take very quickly and it can be very nutritional too. Two slices of bread, meat, cheese, spinach, mayo, mustard, black olives, banana peppers...mmmm!
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try a protein meal bar or a couple saltine crackers with peanut butter or even some almonds!

Good Luck to you! :)
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    From now on, maybe you could try to plan a snack in between classes? Snacks throughout the day will help keep your metabolism up and keep your calorie level where it should be.
  • nexi28
    Options
    a special k nutrition bar, it haves 2 servings of fiber so it makes u feel full and they are really tasty , my favrote one is the chocolate, and it only haves 90 calories. when i have one it holds me over for @ least 4hrs i wash it down with water. hope it helps.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too few calories. Listen to your doctor and consume 1500 calories. 1 consume between 1500-1700 calories a day and I am losing between 1-2 pounds a week. It is important to feed our bodies with healthy foods to gain great results. I have a very busy lifestyle, for I work full time and go to school fulltime. Therefore, I have to prepare my meals sometimes 2-3 days in advance, so healthy choices are easier.
    example of a daily meals
    breakfast
    oatmeal with flax seeds, coconut milk, and whey protein (350 cals)
    Lunch
    turkey with a large salad (250 cals)
    Dinner
    salmon, mixed veggies, sweet potatoe (400 cals)
    Snacks (500cals)
    banana
    celery sticks
    almond butter
    grapes

I try not to drink my calories, so I mostly drink water and herbal teas.
    However, if I want something sweet, I will blend banana, unsweeten coco, whey protein, and soy (its about 375 cals)
  • amk73
    amk73 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you all for the posts and information. I'll start packing my food for the day to include snacks between classes - our classes are 90 min long and I drink water all day - usually getting in 8-12 cups - so a snack between each class would be ideal. For tomorrow I'll have gogurt, apple, and a Luna bar then lunch.

I'm also thinking that my plateau is due to not eating enough. When I was losing weight like crazy I was consuming more.

Again, thank you all so much. I'll try your suggestions on the nuts as well.

Amy
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Great job working towards your goal! I suggest that you try any brand of protein (meal) bars. Sometimes (not often :) )I have a little trouble making the minimum 1200 calories intake. Also, I don't eat a lot of meat, so I am often far below my protein goal. I may be having a very busy day or just not that hungry. The protein bars are easy, quick, very portable and tasty without being to unhealthy. Any brand will add about 200 calories, about 10gs of protein and great vitamins and nutrients. Ive been having an affair with the "Special K Protein Meal Bars" lately. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I agree with doc, anyone eating under 1500 calories is harming their body, even if they think it's fine now. Do your bmr, it shouldn't be under 1500 for cutting (fat loss) unless you weight less than 100lbs and have no activity at all.
  • mzdawnte
    Options
    I teach also and know how busy our schedules can be throughout the day. I bought one of those cooler type lunch boxes from target and I load it up with healthy stuff everyday.. Mainly real quick whole foods that I can just grab and eat. I also pack zip-lock bags of blueberries, grapes, carrots, almonds, trail mix to snack on throughout the day. When I'm low on calories I usually drink a cup of very vanila silk soy milk with a scoop of whey protein and that helps too.
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "I agree with doc, anyone eating under 1500 calories is harming their body, even if they think it's fine now. Do your bmr, it shouldn't be under 1500 for cutting (fat loss) unless you weight less than 100lbs and have no activity at all. "

MFP gave me a goal of 1200....Im so confused!!! HELP!! im currently 130 and set my goal to lose a pound a week until I am at my goal weight of 115. every day i am even slightly over 1200 it says I will weigh more in a few weeks if I keep it up!! so should I stick with the 1200 or no?? Sorry to Hijack your post!!!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!! If you're not allergic, that is. Otherwise, almonds are healthy source for calories, calcium and needed oil.
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    Pack some almonds, baby carrots with peanut butter, banana, ants on a log, cheese stick and an apple,