New Blender......now what?????

Options
Hey guys,
Im new here,
I've been tracking my calories and such using this website and app for the past 15 days. I never thought counting calories could be so painless. so far I've lost about 5 pounds and my next weigh in is in two days. Needless to say Im kinda anixous!!

So I bought a new blender and started making smoothies, What are your favorites? Also is there any other recipes I could use,such as veggies for a meal replacement?

Replies

• tifanieb
    tifanieb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    one of my fav tangy smoothies is orange juice, blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, banana. all fruit is frozen except the banana and i just eyeball it for how much i want and because of the frozen fruits i don't need to add ice to make it into a frozen treat!!!

you could always make you some juices using veggies. i would look up some recipes on the net!!!
  • nannysnowflake
    Options
    I usually make one like this for my 45min-1hr commute in the morning! I usually buy the frozen unsweetened bags of fruit at Walmart, and I usually freeze cut-up banana (makes it SO much easier!). So, it varies with what I have in the freezer.

Like today:
    1/3 cup peaches
    1/4 raspberries
    1/3 cup strawberries (or blackberries)
    1/3 of whole banana
    1/2 scoop Whole Foods Vanilla Soy Protein powder
    1/3 cup OJ or apple juice
    sometimes a splash of milk

and blend :)

*only around 200 calories/2g fat/32g carb/5 g fiber/15g protein
  • magz_weltha
    Options
    Hey!
    Welcome to the site! I have a magic bullet and I'm assuming you have an individual sized blender as well. I am a fan of SlimFast shake powder mix for meal replacement. I make them with 8 oz of skim milk, 2 or 3 ice cubs, frozen fruits (strawberries, blueberries, bananas), and then the SlimFast powder. I use French Vanilla when I add in fruits, but the Royal Chocolate is good plain. Wal-Mart sells the SlimFast powder for about $6.50, which might be consider expensive, but when one shake (meal) lasts a few weeks that's not bad at all! I'd say one can lasts me just over a month...I think.

If you're not interested in the SlimFast, then I always suggest banana smoothies...8oz skim milk, one banana, a few ice cubes, 2(ish) tbsp Splenda, and a drop of vanilla. MMMM...Really though, you can do this with virtually any fruit, frozen or fresh. I havent tried any smoothies with veggies...But if you add the same amount of veggies with fruit and fruit juice, I bet it wouldnt be bad.

I hope this helps! :happy:
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're not opposed to artificial sweetener:

I use one cup of Dannon Light 'n Fit vanilla yogurt as the base. Add one cup of frozen fruit--sliced strawberried, blueberries, berry blend, etc. If the bananas are getting toward the too-ripe stage (anything with brown spots is getting too ripe for me) I'll also throw in 1/2 - 1 banana (not frozen--and how much depends on how many calories I want this to be). Blend it up.

I love it, and so does my 14-y.o. son.
  • rbram619
    Options
    I use Herbalife meal replacements. They are tasty! Consist of shake mix, protein, ice, water, fruit (fat free sugar free jello is optional).
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like to do yogurt, orange juice and frozen mango smoothies. I also like mixed berries instead of mango, or I mix mango with peaches. I do flavored or unflavored yogurt.

Really for me it depends on the day and how many calories I'm working with, I'll just alter the recipe to fit into my meal plan that day.

I've been adding protein powder to mine now since I'm doing more strength training. I bought unflavored protein so it's more versatile.

adding a bit of spinach to berry smoothies is nice too.......and NO YOU CAN'T TASTE IT!!!

I also like soy milk smoothies, so I'll do just vanilla soy milk (instead of yogurt), frozen fruit and protein powder if I want and I skip the juice.

Soymilk and peanut butter smoothies are nice, you need to freeze a bit of of soymilk first then add non frozen milk and a few tbls peanut butter and blend. Banana goes nice with this.....so you could do frozen banana and skip freezing the milk and basically it's the same.

oh there are soooo many options just have fun with it!!
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been making a few smoothies..I make a very berry one.

Berry Medley / Banana / Vanilla Yogurt / Protein Powder (Strawberry Kiwi)
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    1 Banana, 1cup mixed berries frozen(blackberries,raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries), 1/2 cup skim milk or Almond milk, Mocha(pure green tea leaves in ground form), tsp ground flax and spinach!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I recently found a website called "Blend it and Mend it" that has tons of blender recipes! It is all healthy :smile:
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink a green smoothie everyday. I use a variety of leafy greens that I buy each weekend, and blanch/freeze to use all week. (to blanch, wash greens well, boil a large pot of water, stir greens into boiling water, stir for about 2 minutes, use a slotted spoon and take greens from boiling water into a bowl of ice water or even into a colander under cold running water, then put into freezer bags & freeze until needed) this helps the greens retain a lot of their nutrients but also lets them not go bad as fast. We buy 2 bunches of kale, 2 bunches of spinach and 1-2 bunches of other random greens and that last between 1-2 weeks but they start going bad in the fridge fast so I keep one bunch of everything fresh and blanch the second bunch.

In each smoothie we use a variety of greens, like one day will use kale, next day spinach, next day kale + parsley, next day spinach + dandelion greens etc. I fill the blender with roughly 3 cups water, and about 2 cups of greens. When they are frozen I don't measure but they shrink a lot after being blanched so it is probably more...not sure. I blend the water and greens first for a couple minutes for a smoother texture, then add a variety of fruits. I have read to use 60%veg and 40% fruit but also to use the opposite so really it is just preference. I use 1 apple, 1cup blueberries, 1c grapes, sometimes some pineapple, raspberries, etc. Also some sort of soymilk/almond/hempmilk, usually around 1/2 c, some flax seed, chia seed, and hemp seeds and every once in awhile a 1/4 block of silken tofu for protein. My husband and I just mix up the recipes and use whatever we think will taste good. We drink these every morning. It gives me a ton of energy and I have felt a lot better since starting this. Oh and if you use banana, the banana will overpower the veggie. I can't use banana in the whole smoothie bc hubby is allergic but after I pour his I will add a banana to mine sometimes.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    www.greenmonstermovement.com

My fave and Go-To for after any run or long workout in the following:

1 cup almond milk
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein
    1 Tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened (I'm a choc fiend!)
    1 Tbsp natural PB
    2 handfuls baby spinach
    140g frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Toss it all in, frozen stuff on top, blend and enjoy. I've made about 2 dozen different combinations and it's lots of fun to try stuff out and figure out what you like! Green smoothies are great with avocado, yogurt, cottage cheese, silken tofu, pasteurized egg whites, all kinds of fruit, protein powder, milks, whatever you have on hand - so be creative! :bigsmile:
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump