Morning VS. Evening workouts

Options
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but here's a million and one. Based on personal experience, which is better working out in the morning or in the evening?

I currently work just a few days a week but have to get up at 5am in order to be on the bus (for an hour long ride) at 6am. So in order for me to get in a full 30minute workout, I would have to be up around 4:15 or 4:30am. And well, I'm not sure that I would be getting enough sleep if I did that. But by the time I get home each evening at 5:30pm, I'm so exhausted that I just can't bring myself to get in a workout.

I do a lot of walking and lifting at work, but I know that I should be adding more than just that to my daily routine. And hopefully when I get a permanent and full time job I'll have a better schedule to fit in a workout. But for the time being, I'd love some advice.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• vbalchick_09
    vbalchick_09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer mornings i didnt think i would but it gives me more energy and its out of the way so i dont have to worry about it after i get home from work about 7ish.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i would never get up that early to work out. i get home around 530 and either eat right away then when i change put tennis shoes on to go do my elliptical (in the garage) or i change right away and put my tennis shoes on then eat after i exercise. if i make putting my tennis shoes on a habbit when i get home its easier to go straight out and do it. its harder if i let myself sit and relax for a while
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I can not get up in the mornings to workout. As much as I try it just doesn't happen. I know your exhausted when you come home from work. I work with 18 five year olds and then come home to a 2 year old so I know exhausted, but believe me when I say this. Once you start getting into the routine you feel horrible not doing a workout at night. If you find a workout that you really like you will be able to get the motivation to do it. I still have those night of I'm to tired to workout, but once I force myself into doing it I am always glad I did. You will feel the same way.. Good Luck and keep pushing!
  • formytwins
    Options
    I used to work out at 4:30am and I was told you will burn more fat???? I currently workout at 1:00 but I want to start doing both am and pm:) I really would not think it would matter that much as long as you are working out....Good Luck!!
  • Hanzo44
    Hanzo44 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work out both, AM to boost energy, PM to burn daily calories...but if you are pressed for time I would do it when you can. For me am work outs get certain work outs out of the way and I feel productive. It sounds as though an AM work out would be insanely early for you. regardless of what you decide just taking that step towards working out is pretty great. Motivation is so tough at times, that any completion of any type of working out is awesome.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I like morning workouts, but I am REALLY not a morning person. So no matter how early I think I can get up to work out, I never do. I've worked out at night after a 14 hour day (work than school) before just to get one in. I'm currently working out at lunch and loving it. But then, I'm lucky enough to work someplace that has a gym (tiny, but adequate) in the building. Finding the time might be difficult, but it is soooooo worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • HungryMom
    Options
    I just returned from my workout (10:30PM) and feel so energized. I really wish I could make it happen in the morning so I could enjoy this rush during the day, but it just doesn't work for me. I would pick days and times when you would be most likely to go and set a schedule. I find if I schedule my workouts instead of just trying to fit them in I do much better. An added benefit, the gym is dead in the evening so I get the treadmill in front of the ESPN TV and never have to wait for any of the machine. =)
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Same here, I already have to get up at 5am for work and there's no way I'm getting up any earlier! When I get home from work I change in to my workout stuff and exercise, then eat dinner. If I don't do it in that order then the exercising isn't getting done. I also try to take a walk on my two 10 minute breaks at work when the weather is ok.
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    I think this comes down to personal preference, more so than medical. I prefer mornings as it sets my whole day, as my days are busy and sometimes i am so exhausted by the evening. Just push yourself, if your workout cannot be done at one time split it up to 2 times. Example if you dont have a full hr to do it split it into 2 30 min sessions. Also get a pedometer maybe you can move more at work to get extra steps in, boost it to the recommended level of 10 000 or more steps!!
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I work out mid afternoon and at night. i love working out at night it helps me sleep
  • maher2006
    maher2006 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    from everything ive looked at, mornings are better to work out..i thinkbefore u eat breakfast bc it burns ur previous days calories and will help u burn more calories throughout the day...but w that being said, i can never work out till 10 or 11 at nite bc im home w my son during the day and work at nite so i go everynite after work..morning is better but as long as u fit it in at some point, its better than not doing it at all!
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but here's a million and one. Based on personal experience, which is better working out in the morning or in the evening?

I currently work just a few days a week but have to get up at 5am in order to be on the bus (for an hour long ride) at 6am. So in order for me to get in a full 30minute workout, I would have to be up around 4:15 or 4:30am. And well, I'm not sure that I would be getting enough sleep if I did that. But by the time I get home each evening at 5:30pm, I'm so exhausted that I just can't bring myself to get in a workout.

I do a lot of walking and lifting at work, but I know that I should be adding more than just that to my daily routine. And hopefully when I get a permanent and full time job I'll have a better schedule to fit in a workout. But for the time being, I'd love some advice.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :flowerforyou:

While they say you burn more calories in the morning the difference is not that significant so you need to do what really works best for you. On the days you don't work do a morning workout and the days you do work do the night workout. The key is to keeping moving at least 30 mins a day. I workout 4 to 5 days a week 3 days in the morning 2 days in the evening, that's what works best for me. Again the key finds what works for you and be consistent with that.

Hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i have 2 kids (a 3year old and a 10 month old) so if i don't workout in the morning it most likely won't get done. i wake up around 5:15
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to work out when you feel like you can do your best. If I tried to work out in the morning I would probably end up doing half as much because I have absolutely no energy then. If you try it at both times, say a couple mornings and then a couple evenings, and see which one is getting more done, then you can use your time more efficiently and probably feel better too.
  • prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like morning workouts, even if they are just simple short workouts. For the past 2 nights, I have done this workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk in the mornings and the second part to that workout at night when I can't seem to fit in anything else. Maybe you could try those. With Leslie Sansone, those 2 workouts are just mainly walking but, it's a workout nonetheless. :) Good luck!
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    its hard to say. I work shift work, so I have to fit it in when I can. If I am doing day shifts, then I workout in the morning. If I am doing a night shift, then I workout in the evening before I go to work.
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How long of a lunch hour do you get? Take the opportunity to walk around the block or walk laps around your building briskly. I wear tennis shoes to and from work and make the walk to my car brisk. I walk my dog when I get home or immediately go to an exercise class. I would really recommend that. Even when I think I have no energy left in the day if I get home from work and go straight to an exercise class I look forward to it and get energized for the rest of the evening. I stay up a little later, but I sleep better because of the exercise. So 5:30 or 6:00 doesn't feel like it comes so early. Good luck! I wouldn't wake up that early to exercise either.
  • ICUPEEPN
    Options
    Luckily for me, I am a full time student and get to get credit for my exercises. I actually work out 2 days a week on campus in the morning and evenings. On those 2 days I work out for a total of 4 hours on one day and 6 hours on the other. I find that they both are helpful! In the AM you will have more energy throughout the day and when you do it in the evening, I feel that it burns more calories and can raise your metabolism, since that is what your body does while you're sleeping.
  • k8smama
    Options
    I would say fit it in when you can. I really like the evening workout cause I now sleep like the dead and wake up feeling like I actually slept. There are times when my shift prohits it in the evening, so I get up earlier and do it then, but it's not the same at all. Experiment with both and see which you like better and take it from there. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have to make it work for you. There's no point if we all say "mornings!" but you have class/work/other in the morning that forces you to wake up at some hideous hour of the morning just to get a workout in! I work shift work (mostly nights) and my days are about to be taken up with university. I'm hoping to squeeze in some before class workouts, day and evening fitness classes, and after work classes. My gym opens at 5:30 am and closes at 9pm most days, so I've got quite the chunk of time to juggle school, work and workouts. Currently I'm aiming for working out three times a week because I know I'll be flat out fitting that in when school comes around.

Just look at when you're free and see what you can fit in. A youtube video? A yoga class at a community hall? A personal training session at your gym? A group class at your gym? Some at-home exercises you grabbed off google? You could always break up your workouts and aim for 10 - 30 minutes a day. Nothing more, nothing less.