New Runner - any advice?

Options
I am just starting to run as part of my lifestyle change. I have always loved running in the past, but I don't really know the best way to build up my stamina and increase my distance. I know it may sound like a simple thing, but I don't know how slow or fast to increase my pace without pushing myself too far to fast and hurting myself. I also would like to know what a reasonable goal would be for myself. I would like to do a 10K run sometime during the summer, is this reasonable? I am currently running about 3k in 20 minutes and I am completely spent in that time.

Thanks!

Replies

• rayemlls
    Options
    Don't fall like I did..lol I started jogging because my weight wasn't coming off even though I was at 1200 calories and doing cardio 2 hrs a day so my son suggested running which hurt my knee a little and then I fell going around a curb. Today I was finally able to do my walk for 60 min. I would start off slow and make sure you stretch for 10 min before you run..Good Luck :-)
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Run at the slowest speed you can that will give you a smooth running stride. 5.5-6.5 mph taller people need to go a little faster. This is the speed you want to build stamina at. Increase your weekly mileage by no more then 10%. 10k by summer is def possible, just slowly build yourself up.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on committing to yourself! A 10K is a challenging goal, but I do think it's reasonable.

I'm no expert but my wife runs half-marathons and I'm training for a triathlon. We both know a lot of people who have been running a lot longer than we have and naturally, I've picked up some tips along the way. So, here's a couple of things for you:

1 - Interval training is key to building endurance. What that means is start with running 2 minutes and walking 1 (make sure you run the 2 though; you can do it). As that gets easier, go to 3/1, then 4/1, etc. Push yourself to go just a little further each time.

2 - Get a GOOD pair of running shoes. That will make a huge difference. Don't just go to the local store and pick out something that looks cool. Go to a store that specializes in running and have them fit you for a good pair. Expect to pay $100-$150. Only wear your running shoes for running, not to the store or even around the house. Make them last.

3 - Use your support system. Friends, family, MFP friends. Everyone needs support on their good days and especially on the tough days. Use it.

Good luck with everything!! I'm sure you'll do great. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I'm still basically a beginner myself but I like surrounding myself with other runners/triathletes so we can help each other.
  • tbtravels
    tbtravels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K program or if you are an experienced runner but haven't regularly trained in a while you could probably jump straight to the Couch to 10K program. There are apps for the ipod, podcasts, and training programs available online. I did the C25K and upon completion started the C210K. After I finished that I started all over again with the goal to get faster. I used to be around a 12min/mile pace and I've steadily increased that to about 10min/mile. I still want to get faster!

Good luck!!
  • eswisshelm
    Options
    Have you considered doing intervals? I'm currently trying to build my stamina and endurance. You're currently a little faster than me, but what I've been doing is doing a few minutes (2 or 3) at a higher intensity that I could not keep up for the whole workout, then backing off to a pace slightly slower than my 'average' to recover for about 5 minutes, then repeat.

I'm still new to the running game myself, so i'm still playing around with my intervals and can't really give specific advice. However, there are lots of running plans that can get you to a 10K, and lots of blogs and running expert websites that talk about interval training. I'm currently using a "coach" on the Nike+ website to train for my first 5K in May, and it's been really helpful.
  • mum23boys
    Options
    I started running just over a year ago and I LOVE it! I started on the treadmill at the gym and realized that I could go for 30 minutes without a break (this was a 5miles/per hour pace). It felt so good that I decided to train for a half marathon coming up in 4 months. The program I used was very helpful (http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm) and took me through week by week as to how much distance I should be adding. I definitely had good runs and bad ones, but I felt the goal was attainable with how the increases were gradual. I also talked with the staff at The Running Room where they suggested running 10 minutes and then taking a 1 minute fast walk break. It helps to rejuvenate your body and stretch out your legs. I have been doing these walk breaks from then on and I find that it really does help me (without adding a lot of extra time to a run)By the day of the half marathon (13.1miles) I felt ready and actually felt like I could have run farther at the end. An incredible feeling! I am training for the same half marathon for this year, excited to see how with training I can better my time. I hope this helps! :-D
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice! I will definitely incorporate as much of the advice as I can into my next workout! (Especially the part about not falling :wink: )