How to eat 2500+ calories but only 80g of sugar??

Options
I'm having to TOUGHEST time figuring out how to eat 2500 (or more) calories a day, but only 80g of sugar for weight gain...
I move around alot and I'm on my feet for more than 1/2 a day...so how do I eat only 80g of sugar, but NOT put myself in "starvation mode"?
And for the most part, I eat pretty healthy.

Replies

• Pragmatica
    Options
    Protein and fat are your friends.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not, so don't worry about it. The sugar guidelines on here are known to be way conservative. Just don't eat crap, and you'll be good.
  • mycatisfat
    Options
    fat? my friends? im scared of fat :( i imagine it as cellulite
  • kOiFiSh_KiMmY
    Options

o Ok...what foods come rich in protein/fat, but low in sugar..oh and sodium?
  • kOiFiSh_KiMmY
    Options
    Honestly, it's not, so don't worry about it. The sugar guidelines on here are known to be way conservative. Just don't eat crap, and you'll be good.

O ok, I'll just figure out how much sugar I need to eat a day from my school's physican or something.
  • kOiFiSh_KiMmY
    Options
    fat? my friends? im scared of fat :( i imagine it as cellulite

LOL! Oooooh be afraid, be very afriad. :D
  • jag325
    jag325 Posts: 11
    Options

o Ok...what foods come rich in protein/fat, but low in sugar..oh and sodium?

I eat Planter's unsalted peanuts for a snack. Rich in good fat and protein. Almonds are also a good snack as well.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    It's tough! Honestly, I go over my sugar a lot. I'm on a 1400 calorie plan. It tells me to aim for 28 g of sugar, which is only like a granola bar and a half. :grumble:

Lettuce helps. You can make salads with carrots and onions or lots of other veggies, and it's filling and pretty much sugar-free. I put romaine in a lot of stuff. I put it in chili the other day to stretch the chili further (without a lot of extra calories) while giving me extra nutrients.
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Meat - chicken breast, pork, beef, fish/tuna - high in protein and low in fat if you trim
    Fat is not bad for you.

You get 9 calories from 1 gram of fat. You get 4 calories from 1 gram of protein. It adds up.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I had about 2200 calories the other day, with only about 55 grams of sugar, so it is possible.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    fat does not make you fat.

Eat plenty of protein, unprocessed carbs (oats, beans, veggies etc) and healthy fats and you should be fine. Limiting fruit will help but these sugars

If you do the above, then I wouldn't really bother tracking sugar. I just watch the macros and sodium (for possible water weight changes) and fibre (for regularity).
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Friend me and have a look at my food diary since March 21, 2011. I set custom goals via my nutritional requirements to prevent surgery for LES GERD related health issues. My nutrition plan is VLC Paleo for repairing severely damaged digestion. There are some days I eat less than 5g sugar. I lift weights, chase my athletic 5 1/2 year old daughter around and care for a friend who is recovering from a stroke and diabetic. None of us would be safe in starvation mode. We all have great metabolisms now due to our eating well and exercising in ways that are tailored to our individual needs.