I love to eat!!! Help!!

Options
So my problem is that I love food waaaay too much. When I get bored I automatically crave food. Even if I'm not hungry, I just feel like eating. So today I ate some food that I really shouldn't have had. But those cookies were calling my name!!! How do I stop myself from eating, especially when I'm not even hungry?

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You've already recognized that you eat when you're not hungry. When this happens, walk the other direction. Find something else to do: a hobby, workout, read, go shopping/window shopping, call a friend... Find anything to occupy yourself and make sure to grab a glass of water when you do. :)
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    And get rid of the cookies. If they're not in the cupboard, you can't eat them!
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    im exactly the same :$ i find it helpful have lots of healthy low calorie snack to hand - almonds, berries, rice cakes, etc.. and tell yourself you will have them only at certain times - ie: have breakfast then "i will have some almonds at 10.30, i will have some cherries at 11.30, etc.. then you know you will have something to munch on but you can control what and when
  • key03
    key03 Posts: 26
    Options
    The only way to do it is to change the way you think, I had the same problem I would eat and snack all day long (and night) the more I ate the hungrier I would feel, and even if I didn't feel hungry I would still eat just for the sake of it, which is why I ended up so big. When I first started on MFP I really struggled with the feeling hungry but it does get better!, I stuck to set meal times and cut out eating after 6pm altogether, I've had a few set backs but I kept going and now I have the willpower to say to my self "stop, you dont need to eat that" It's hard at first but it does get easier the longer you stick at it. good luck YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I have this problem too O_O SO hard to resist sometimes... I'm also interested in any tips! haha

I usually try to distract myself with things like manicures or reading MFP forums. Also watching exercise vids on YouTube or reading weightloss blogs. Even if I'm not actually doing the exercises, at least I'm not eating?
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too--so understand. I have my diary set up to eat like 6 times a day: Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner....then hopefully I won't have an after dinner snack, but if I do, I have that in my diary too. Just make sure your choices are healthy and within your goals and you'll be able to feed your body every few hours. I don't think I could sustain myself on denying myself altogether when I'm hungry throughout the day--I think that sets you up for failure.

I'm not sure if you are exercising, but the low calorie level needed for dieting is what prompted me to be better at exercising --I needed those additional exercise calories so made sure to "earn" the extra every day through exercise.

good luck--i'm sure you can do this!
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you can see it in my signature but..

"If hunger isn't the problem.. Then food isn't the solution!" I tell my self this ALL THE TIME when I get cravings..

Then I ask myself if I am legitimately hungry. If I'm not I will either:

-drink water (sometimes you are just thirsty)
    -make a green tea (the fact that it's hot seems to make you feel fuller and more content then water)
    -jump on my stationary bike for a few mins (after I've worked out I seldom get that self sabotage feeling)
    -pick up my 5 lb weights and do a few sets of an exercise (same as above)
    -go for a walk (same as above)
    -tidy the house (good distraction because I usually find something else that needs doing in the process)
    -go run errands (after doing above)
    -make a phone call to a friend/family member (this one's great and can kill 20-30 mins and distract your hunger nicely)

and strangely enough.. start a meal for the next day/later in the week

This one sounds counter productive but I think I feel comforted being AROUND the food. And taking in all the smells seems to fill me up (the way you're usually not as hungry after you've spent an hour making something yourself). The other thing is the type of foods I crave are not usually what is found in my dinner time meals (I generally crave sweets and other JUNK). So whipping up a batch of soup, making a chili or homemade sauce, or starting a roast really don't whet my appetite.. but still manage to distract me long enough to get the job done. I also conveniently end up with a lot of delicious healthy food available for meal times so I'm not tempted to order out/cheat.

May or may not work for you but just a thought!
  • skinnylicious16
    skinnylicious16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and I just wanted to say that im so thankful for all support I've gotten!! These tips are really helpful everyone (: thanks again!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm the same :)

If i'm not doing anything else i'll eat even if i'm watching tv. Usually i try to go for healthier alternatives and cut up a carrot and get the dip out however to curb my cravings i also drink tea like ottawagirl said. It really helps beat the cravings and you aren't loading yourself up on calories. Good luck
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I eat when I'm bored, not when I'm hungry.
    I find the best thing is to be busy - but it has to be doing something where I can't eat - so, going for a walk, knitting, hanging out the washing, tidying the house are all good. Sitting reading the newspaper or playing on the computer make me want to eat more, so I have to find something else to do!
    The other thing that I find helpful is to plan ahead what I'm going to eat for the day, work out how many snacks fit into the calories I have then get them ready. That way I can see what is available to eat and I don't want to eat them all at once, so I'm more motivated to do something else before eating.
    Also, make sure you are eating enough good quality food - junky snacks give you calories but don't satisfy your body, so eating low fat snacks or sugary cookies will only make you want to eat more.
  • MkVsTheWorld
    MkVsTheWorld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of fad diets but maybe something like Volumetrics would be helpful. The principal of it might help you learn to eat foods that make you feel the fullest thus reducing your need to snack.

What was most helpful for me, was tracking every little thing that went into my stomach. In due time, I learned that if I wanted to snack on a Mr. Goodbar or a Kit Kat, I was going to have to run that night or at least go walking to make sure that I burn it off. Over time, my own laziness forced me to cut the snacks because I didn't want to have to work out that day when it was not my designated work out day.