Chew Your Food?

Options
So, I have really been doing research on changing my lifestyle, eating healthier - ways to feel full faster without the use of diet aids (my preference - if any of you are, thats your prerogative!) and I have found many sites that state digestion starts with your mouth and chewing your food adequately (they don't set a number but they say if you can still tell what the food is by the texture you haven't chewed well enough) helps this because the food is lubricated with saliva and will move through your esophagus faster. These sites also state that carbs are broken down faster and begin breaking down when introduced with saliva. It goes on to say that by chewing your food you can lessen your chances on bacterial growth, flatulence, and symptoms of indigestion. Hypothetically it is also supposed to relax your stomach muscles so that food will leave it more quickly. Chewing your food well also is supposed to send signals to your gastrointestinal system and it will expedite digestion faster...

SO What my question is are there people out here you consciously do this? If so have you noticed a different relationship with food? Are you digesting food better etc. What I don't want this to turn into is a debate on who is right and who is wrong - because it seems like lately when research is brought up someone just HAS to be wrong and I just want this to be a fun discussion and maybe encourage others out there to research their own questions and share with the rest of us :)

Replies

• darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I would like to say I chew my food well before swallowing every time I eat, but I can't. On those occasions I remember to or remember and I'm able* to, I eat in a much more controlled manner and my overall intake would seem to be less. Like your research suggested, my body has time to send and receive the signals that I'm full before I pound more calories into it than I need. =)
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I have heard this over the years and when I saw you posted this thread I had to come in. I tend to believe what you've checked out it just makes so much sense. I can't say I am one of those people who chew chew chew but i'm going to make a conscious effort to change that. What could it hurt? Thanks for the f.y.i.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Since half of my meals are blended or powder, I really don't think chewing applies so much to me! lol
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree that it makes sense and I'm gonna make a conscious effort to do it the next few days (long as I remember), then I can report back :)
    But I'd like to hear from somebody here who this has really worked for too - might inspire me to remember to chew instead of scoffing down my meals!
  • audbbgirl
    Options
    I have read this before too. I also heard that you should always sit your fork or spoon down in between each bite. This also causes you to eat slower.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Have you read Ann Louise Gittleman's book - Taming of the Chew, its an interesting read.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I used to be a very fast eater and would hardly chew.I also read this and now I try to chew longer.I have noticed I feel full quicker and dont eat as much.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    One of Micheal Pollan's food rules is : drink your food and eat your beverages; essentially meaning chew your food until liquid and keep your beverages in your mouth long enough to taste them.

He also suggests putting the eating utensil down between bites, drinking water between bites and making sure it takes you nearly as long to eat the food as it did to prepare it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, I started practicing mindful eating and I do eat much less than I used to.
  • ashers1819
    Options
    Paul McKenna has a rather large section of his book 'I Can Make You Thin' devoted to just this topic. I do think it works and is something I keep trying to work on. I think learning to eat properly (ie. Portion Control and speed of eating) is really difficult because it goes against many of the habits we pick up as children.

I have noticed that there is a major difference in the amount of food I eat since chewing better and also that since processed foods don't taste nice when really chewed, I am tending to stick to more naturally flavourful foods.

Good luck with it, I do recommend his book although, I can live without the hypno-therapy CD.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Have you read Ann Louise Gittleman's book - Taming of the Chew, its an interesting read.

I will read it, thanks for the suggestion!