Painful inflamed Achilles tendon

Options
anyone know any remedies for this. Even with stretching I get this after exercise and can only hobble when I first get up in the morning.

Replies

• dkelz
    dkelz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had severe heel pain for 3 yrs. Stubborn me never went to doctor, so no offical diagnosis. But I think it was tendonitis. Anyway, I bought a pair of shape-ups about 2 yrs ago and been 90% pain free ever since. It takes some getting used to but I won't ever wear any other kind of shoe!:smile:
  • electronica
    Options
    Hi toludc, I have this problem too and have had for ages - very painful! Finally I asked my doctor what to do and he recommended that I put ice on it 3x a day, stretch it 10x in a row (eg by standing on the edge of a stair a bit like on tip-toes and flexing the foot up and down - not sure if I have explained that clearly!), and get something (like a wedge) to put in the heel of your shoe to raise it your heel - apparently you can buy these from sports shoe stores but I haven't yet. The flexing and ice have definitely helped me, the swelling has gone down and pain has reduced. Good luck!
  • beasy22
    beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I suffered from an inflamed achilles tendon, it was so painful to run but i was determined to keep exercising, in the end i gave my self tendinitious and couldn't run at all. According to my PT i had increased my running routine far to quickly and put too much strain my achilles. From my experience i would recommend resting for a few days, if you can't do that try and avoid putting more strain on the achille.

If you're a member of a gym i would seak advice from a personal trainer who may be able to advice stretches, massage or excerises to avoid more strain.

Good luck :)
  • clairaustin
    Options
    good advice from electronica. i am a podiatrist, and would definitely recommend rest and ice as it's a tricky tendon to heal fast! Also when going upstairs remember to put your whole foot on the step and not just the ball of the foot, but the stretching as electronica described is fine. you may have a foot function problem i.e. do you find your feet roll in a bit? that may be some of the problem and it would be good to get that checked out by a foot doctor as you may be in need of orthotics. Acupuncture sometimes help too!
  • shilpaca
    shilpaca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ICe and rest with antiinflammatories for a few days. if the pain isnt any better then ask ur doctor for a steroid joint injection as that will help with the tendon.
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Rest definitely helps so maybe I need to change up my exercise from running to swimming some days. Will check out the other options too. Was hoping to runthe London Marathon next year bur looks like that may not be an option. My dad has snapped both of his Achilles tendons at different times Nd I don't fancy 6 weeks in plaster!