Does it matter what foods your eating?

Options
I get 1,200 calories a day. I've lost nearly a stone in the last month, just by sticking to 1200cals and only doing light exercise. I've still been eating chocolate bars, but I'm still under my limit. Does this matter? I know chocolate isn't typically a diet food but if it's only got 200 and something calories whats the problem in me just having one? Does it make a really big difference?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    the closer you get to your goal weight the more this will matter.
    At first it's about knowledge of calories, then it becomes about dialing in the nutrition. The last ten pounds of so is WAY more about the QUALITY of the food than the quantity.
    You will never get the last few stubborn ones off if you don't eat right.
    You can still have "cheat meals" though.
    Never give up anything "for life". This is supposed to be a change you can live with for the rest of your life. So, still have that piece of birthday cake or valentine's chocolate, just don't do it every day just because it's there. Better to not buy it all the time, so it's not there...
  • us05
    us05 Posts: 54
    Options
    the closer you get to your goal weight the more this will matter.
    At first it's about knowledge of calories, then it becomes about dialing in the nutrition. The last ten pounds of so is WAY more about the QUALITY of the food than the quantity.
    You will never get the last few stubborn ones off if you don't eat right.
    You can still have "cheat meals" though.
    Never give up anything "for life". This is supposed to be a change you can live with for the rest of your life. So, still have that piece of birthday cake or valentine's chocolate, just don't do it every day just because it's there. Better to not buy it all the time, so it's not there...

I like this advise!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1200 calories, lose weight and still eat chocolate, sure-- but the problem comes when you're trying to eat a balanced diet instead of just eating the "right" number of calories. Chocolate (or almost anything, for that matter) can fit into 1200 calories, but it comes at the expense of something else that might be more nutritious or more filling. In the long run, it will be difficult to stay healthy and well-nourished on 1200 calories a day if 200 of those 1200 are used on sweets.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Im not cutting out anything, just cutting down, the way I see it is that this is a change for life not just a diet and things like treat should be built in too.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    You can eat 1200 calories, lose weight and still eat chocolate, sure-- but the problem comes when you're trying to eat a balanced diet instead of just eating the "right" number of calories. Chocolate (or almost anything, for that matter) can fit into 1200 calories, but it comes at the expense of something else that might be more nutritious or more filling. In the long run, it will be difficult to stay healthy and well-nourished on 1200 calories a day if 200 of those 1200 are used on sweets.

ITA! I also feel much better when I eat the healthier options!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    But I do squeeze in a sqare or two of dark chocholate (supposedly better for you than milk chocholate) I find it better to satisfy my cravings with a small amount of food I crave or the healthier option!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I make room for sweet things pretty regularly as well. :) I just try to vary it up a bit and have it not be an every day thing. I had some angel food cake today, and tea with sugar and cream-- "indulgences" that I don't have every day-- but then, today, I also earned about 300 calories above my BMR calories in exercise, so I had space for the sweets while still getting a full day's worth of healthier foods.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Im not cutting out anything, just cutting down, the way I see it is that this is a change for life not just a diet and things like treat should be built in too.

i completely agree with this, and, if uve got the cals leftover y the hell not!! :D

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hunni I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with an occasional piece of chocolate, as long as not all your intake is made up of junk or empty calories.

You can see some diaries and people eat 1200 calories worth of rice cakes with laughing cow cheese... or just 1200 calories of pre-packed nuke food. That's not good. You can probbaly still lose weight like that but it won't help your energy levels and your health and you want to look at the bigger picture!!

When you have home cooked wholesome foods with lean protein, vegetables and fruit, then a bit of chocolate is just fine! :flowerforyou:
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I agree with that attitude, but treats should be in moderation. A chocolate bar a day is not something I would advise, one every now and then is OK.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    But I do squeeze in a sqare or two of dark chocholate (supposedly better for you than milk chocholate) I find it better to satisfy my cravings with a small amount of food I crave or the healthier option!

I don't think you can eat as much dark chocolate as milk. To me, milk chocolate is more like candy whereas dark chocolate is like a rich treat you can only have a 'taste' of.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Totally agree.

A nice couple of pieces of 75% Green & Blacks... tastes lovely and you can put it back in the fridge...

Milk chocolate... once you start you can't stop. :grumble:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if a majority of your intake is food that fuels your body and you're getting enough legitimate nutrition from lean proteins, veggies, and low-sugar carbohydrates (check your diary), then fitting in treats including chocolate and other goodies will help you stay on track mentally and make the ease into maintenance a little more bearable. This is definitely a lifestyle change and it's expected that you're going to have some junk-y stuff now and again.

Just make sure you're getting enough wholesome, healthy food to feed your body :happy: Gotta keep it happy if we want it working for us!