Diet Soda/Pop increases risk of CVD by 61%

Options
In the news this morning. Drinking diet everyday increases risk of Cardio Vascular Disease by 61%. They are still looking at other factors but is it really worth the risk? Dunno but might what to back off a bit if you drink them.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont drink them everyday so im not to worried.
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but what is it that may cause cvd? Is it the aspertame? Cause if that is what it is than there is a lot more than just diet soda that needs to avoided.
  • cruzanna
    cruzanna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They just talked about this on Good Morning America. Their medical director, Dr. Richard Besser, brought it up only because he says it was a terrible study that made this claim. The study did not take into account the participants' eating habits, obesity, or anything else that would definitely effect their risk of cardiovascular disease. While he says he doesn't condone drinking lots of diet sodas (because it causes you to crave more sweets), he does not believe this study's claims.
  • strongwxnc
    Options
    I drink one 16oz diet coke for lunch. Water the rest of the day as I try to maintain a 1900 Calorie day.
    Works for me :)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but what is it that may cause cvd? Is it the aspertame? Cause if that is what it is than there is a lot more than just diet soda that needs to avoided.

It might not be the sweetener directly but what that false signal that causes sugar cravings causes you to do
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    That's not exactly true. They accounted for a LOT of things that typically increase the risk of CVD. They missed one or two (I didn't see family history anywhere in the paper) but it definitely wasn't obesity, exercise, or the more obvious ones.

They don't have a clue what caused it. This is the very, very early stages of more work to be done. There is even still a large chance that people who drink diet just have a propensity to do something else that causes it.

Honestly I used diet as a stepping stone. I went from Mt Dew, Dr Pepper etc... to diet for about 6 months, now I only drink water (90%) or maybe unsweet tea, black coffee, etc. You have to get rid of that need for the sugar taste.

To above guy.... they have no idea what it is. I highly doubt a 'fake reaction' is causing atherosclerosis.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    In the news this morning. Drinking diet everyday increases risk of Cardio Vascular Disease by 61%. They are still looking at other factors but is it really worth the risk? Dunno but might what to back off a bit if you drink them.

What's bad today, is tomorrow's okay .... all things in moderation :flowerforyou:

Most of these ridiculous studies are done on people that consume massive/extreme amounts of whatever it is they are trying to sell us on, ... of the day.
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    According to the media, everything I do is going to give me cancer or cardio-vascular disease, I will put it on the list :wink:
  • neebelung
    Options
    They just talked about this on Good Morning America. Their medical director, Dr. Richard Besser, brought it up only because he says it was a terrible study that made this claim. The study did not take into account the participants' eating habits, obesity, or anything else that would definitely effect their risk of cardiovascular disease. While he says he doesn't condone drinking lots of diet sodas (because it causes you to crave more sweets), he does not believe this study's claims.

Yeah, I just watched a segment on it on the Today Show as well. The study was so vague, they could skew the results to say diet soda makes pigs fly, if they wanted to.
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of diet, yet I know the regular pepsi is bad for me too. I have one pepsi a day and my doc would really love for me to quit that too. She said Water is your safest to drink and I do agree, but there is just that craving I can't give up. I don't smoke cigs so it is my vice. Ugh eveything we do these days are bad for us. LOL
  • neebelung
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of diet, yet I know the regular pepsi is bad for me too.

I actually *love* the taste of Diet Coke, way more than regular Coke. I don't drink them often, but when I do, it's because I enjoy it, not because it's diet. :lol: