Muscle soreness

Options
Anyone have any good tips on relieving muscle soreness? The gym that I joined gave me two free personal training sessions. I had my first on on Tuesday and I LOVED it! However, the front of my thighs, backside and abs are soooo sore and it's Thursday! I've tried stretching and walking. That seems to have helped a bit, but I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone knew of something else I could do. Thanks!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I always think time is the best--of course a hot bath never hurts anything either! It will get better.
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    Always stretch your muscles before getting out of bed in the morning and before and after every workout.:smile:
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Won't help for today but in future drink a cup of low fat chocolate milk after your work out.

Edit:
    Found a link to why.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5373755_drink-chocolate-milk-after-workout.html
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    10/15 mins of light cardio just before you work out and plenty of stretching before and after really helps. Nutrition helps too, plenty of protein in your meal after your workout, helps feed your muscles. You can even buy recovery drinks that you consume within an hour of working out.

Ben.
  • facerme
    Options
    Increase the protein intake after the work out. helps rebuild all those busted muscle fibres. :-)
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    1. Apply some heat to the sore areas: Heating Pad, Bath, hot shower etc.
    2. Stretch
    3. Get a message
    4. You can also take some ibuprofen
  • Grace76
    Options
    Make sure you're plenty hydrated before, during and after your work out.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Typically you will feel the peak of your soreness from a workout 48 hours after, so Thursday sounds about right. Just keep moving and eventually your muscles will get stronger and be less sore. In the meantime, if it isn't better soon you can take an advil and the heating pad will soothe it some. Just all part of getting in shape!
  • jamesadcox
    Options
    Here in colorado the oil field guys tell me that they use drink pickle juice to combat soreness when they are off the rigs for too long.

Personally I like to use muscle milk light, after a work out. You could always hit the hot tub and make sure you are warm and streched before your workout and you should be alright.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    STRETCHING - STRETCHING and more stretching.

Always warm up before your work out and cool down afterwards using stretches. It really helps keep the muscle soreness down to a minimum!
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice? Really? I think I'll try some low fat chocolate milk next time! I have another session next Tuesday.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying out the personal training sessions.
    Does the trainer stretch you at all?
    When I work with a personal trainer at my gym, he stretches me out afterwords.
    But I love that burn! Let's me know I'm doing something good for my body!

Stick with it!!!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Cold baths help with inflammation. Fish oil or pamagranit juice are great anti-oxidants that counter the free radicals release when muscles tear.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    He didn't really stretch me at all. I did warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes before my session, but that's it. I'll be sure to stretch well this next time.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Your first couple of workouts, you will probably be sore for about a week. After a while the soreness doesn't get so severe, or last as long. Just don't ever stop,or you will get that long lasting soreness the next time you start again.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Your first couple of workouts, you will probably be sore for about a week. After a while the soreness doesn't get so severe, or last as long. Just don't ever stop,or you will get that long lasting soreness the next time you start again.

Yeah that. I'm 6 weeks in getting active from horribly out of shape. I started up 30 Day Shred on Jan 3rd and on the 4th was soooo sore I had to rest a day. It recovered and I decided to do her dvd only every other day on weekdays. I do other cardio on opposite days to give my body some rest.

Stretch good and drink lots of water. The water really seems to make a difference. If I don't drink much during the workout or after I will be more sore the next day.