Considering P90X...

Options
I'm considering purchasing and starting P90X. I've been going to the gym and lifting weights for years. I always get stronger but now I want to burn the extra fat I've always had and get lean.

With P90X how closely do you need to follow the fitness plan? I know I'll need some equipment and I plan to buy a pull-up bar and set of resistance bands, is any other equipment absolutely necessary? Any other information that experienced P90Xers can pass along that would be useful is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    A chin up bar and weights or resistance bands are needed. It helps to have a yoga mat and blocks too. It is important to follow the fitness plan as closely as possible, as well as the nutrition plan in order to get optimal results.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am an Independent Beachbody Coach and have been doing P90X and Shakeology. I started with no equipment at all. Recently I've added the weights (or you can use the bands). You should use the pull up bar but if you have the bands you can modify the pull ups and use those. They do sell a complete set that comes with equipment and recovery drink. P90X is not for wimps. I have to take breaks from it and add other workout programs in sometimes because it becomes too intense for me. That said, I think it is a fantastic program. If you would prefer a little more cardio, I recommend Insanity. Again, it's intense and not for the faint of heart. There are a lot of good programs out there to choose from.
  • david9kelly
    Options
    That's a loaded question. Short answer. It is worth it. It will kick your butt, then it kicks your butt again. But in the end - you will have burned the fat, you'll look better, you'll feel like a million bucks, and you will be in the best shape of your life.

Long answer:
    I didn't stick to the nutrition plan, but I did try to match the caloric guidelines. There are some awesome recipes in the nutrition guide that are definitely worth preparing.

Equipment - on top of what you mentioned, I would get a yoga mat, and yoga blocks if you aren't very 'bendy' (i needed them, but my flexibility sucked at the beginning). If you have the resistance bands you shouldn't need any weights, but weights are way manlier (if you're a man) - lol

Other info - this is a high quality work out. It is time intensive, too. Expect at least an hour a day for this workout. I could go on and on about it, but people would just get bored. Check out Mike and Mike's website (espn.com?) ... They've got a special on P90X ... 90 day guarantee or your money back ... but you won't need the money back.

Good luck!!!!!!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    That's a loaded question. Short answer. It is worth it. It will kick your butt, then it kicks your butt again. But in the end - you will have burned the fat, you'll look better, you'll feel like a million bucks, and you will be in the best shape of your life.

Long answer:
    I didn't stick to the nutrition plan, but I did try to match the caloric guidelines. There are some awesome recipes in the nutrition guide that are definitely worth preparing.

Equipment - on top of what you mentioned, I would get a yoga mat, and yoga blocks if you aren't very 'bendy' (i needed them, but my flexibility sucked at the beginning). If you have the resistance bands you shouldn't need any weights, but weights are way manlier (if you're a man) - lol

Other info - this is a high quality work out. It is time intensive, too. Expect at least an hour a day for this workout. I could go on and on about it, but people would just get bored. Check out Mike and Mike's website (espn.com?) ... They've got a special on P90X ... 90 day guarantee or your money back ... but you won't need the money back.

Good luck!!!!!!

Beachbody and their coach offer the same 90 day guarantee. Just saying....
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like the program so far. I don't follow the meal plan but I do try to match the suggested carb/fat/protein ratios for each phase. Some of the recipies do sound amazing though and I'd like to try some eventually.

I have a chin up bar and bands and I much prefer the bar.....but there are a few exercizes where the bands are just so much better.

I have weights as well......but I'm already outgrowing them and need heavier ones and I'm only on week 2 of phase 2......so this weekend I'm hoping to go buy some more.

I did go out and buy a yoga mat and it comes in handy but I didn't need the blocks....I don't think they are really necessary.

The workouts are awesome though.....the first week is brutal.....but every week I feel so much better and stronger.
  • jswitaj
    jswitaj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First off, I apologize, my initial question was supposed to be whether it was important to follow the NUTRITION plan, obviously I will follow the fitness plan. My intentions are to do the fitness plan and track my caloric intake using MFP and following the calorie guidelines of P90X, but I will also look at the nutrition plan and take some other points from it if I think they're necessary or helpful.

Long answer:

Good luck!!!!!!

As I mentioned, my plan is to buy a pull-up bar, and resistance bands only. Yes, I am a man and I know dumbells are the manly way to go, but the more economical way is with resistance bands. I can buy a set of 7 bands and can stack the bands as necessary to get weights anywhere from 7-166 lbs. Obviously I won't need 166 lbs, but i can get more out of a few bands then I would with a single set of dumbells for equal or lesser money, plus they take up less space. I won't be buying a yoga mat, because I will be doing the workouts on a carpeted floor (unfortunately my home is almost completely carpet), and I don't feel it is necessart to have a mat on top of the soft carpet.

Thanks for your responses, they've been more than helpful. I'm going to buy my equipment and order P90X today.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    First off, I apologize, my initial question was supposed to be whether it was important to follow the NUTRITION plan, obviously I will follow the fitness plan. My intentions are to do the fitness plan and track my caloric intake using MFP and following the calorie guidelines of P90X, but I will also look at the nutrition plan and take some other points from it if I think they're necessary or helpful.

Long answer:

Good luck!!!!!!

As I mentioned, my plan is to buy a pull-up bar, and resistance bands only. Yes, I am a man and I know dumbells are the manly way to go, but the more economical way is with resistance bands. I can buy a set of 7 bands and can stack the bands as necessary to get weights anywhere from 7-166 lbs. Obviously I won't need 166 lbs, but i can get more out of a few bands then I would with a single set of dumbells for equal or lesser money, plus they take up less space. I won't be buying a yoga mat, because I will be doing the workouts on a carpeted floor (unfortunately my home is almost completely carpet), and I don't feel it is necessart to have a mat on top of the soft carpet.

Thanks for your responses, they've been more than helpful. I'm going to buy my equipment and order P90X today.

I did 1 round of P90X with resistance bands. It definitely can be done. Yes I am a Beachbody Coach, but I highly recommend the Iron Gym pull-up bar to everyone that I coach. As far as the nutrition guide I found it very useful as far as meal recommendations, but it had my caloric goal way to high. I had a difficult time eating that many calories (same with Insanity's). So I used mfp to track my calories. I do try and stay as close as possible to the carb/fat/protein ratios that are recommended in the guide.

If I can be of any other assistance please let me know.

Stu
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm torn on the nutrition plan. I like the ability on the website to customize or change the meals, but I don't like the fact that I can't customize the plan - IE - I don't do much dairy, i don't have the option of a no dairy plan, I also avoid wheat, which I can modify, but it makes it more difficult to track the calories. I use MFP for tracking my meals vs the beachbody website.

I really enjoy the recipes, I like the fact that it plans my meals out for me to do once a week cooking and takes the thinking out. The shopping is a little overwhelming shopping list, again, not as easily customized as you'd think it should be. Beachbody.com has me at way more calories than I can intake in a day and way too much food, which is again, why I use MFP.