Low arches/IT band tightness/Orthotics

allie_00
allie_00 Posts: 73
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a pretty avid runner but I've struggled for about a year with knee pain and IT band tightness as a result of low arches (it's all inter-connected!) I'm pretty sure my taekwondo practice (barefoot of course) quickly ruined the little arch I had left. Anyway, I just purchased orthotics and I'm slowly getting used to them. I was just wondering if anybody else was in a similar boat but experienced some relief with orthotics? I'm hoping that my knee pain will improve over time. I use a foam roller at the gym to painfully stretch out the IT band but it doesn't cure the pain when running. I'm kind of stunted because I can only run for about 15-20 minutes and I have to stop completely. Then I have to wait about 2 days before I can run again! :(

Replies

• I have the same problem with my feet. You could look into going to a chiropractor to see if they can get you some relief. I have had some problems and have gone to one and it has improved 100 percent. Try to find one who specializes in sports injuries and they will have the best equipment for you. Also I have been wearing orthotics for years now, won't go with out them, they have also helped my arches.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Can I ask what type of orthotics you purchased?

Were they custom made for you after casts taken by a podiatrist, or are they "one-size-fits-all" over the counter inserts that you can buy in running shops or online?

Are yours rigid or flexible?

And how do you run? Are you a heel striker, midfoot runner or forefoot runner?

ps for the time being keep foam rolling... that's always of benefit. :flowerforyou:
  • My orthotics are custom made. They are pretty flexible but a little rigid at the same time if that makes sense? Lol. I carry quite a lot of weight on my heel but a little bit below my toes (mid foot) as well.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    I also have IT Band problems manifested as knee pain, but it isn't from my feet and it doesn't stop me from running. I also can't speak to orthotics, but as much as I know the pain from a foam roller, I would say keep using it! Also, there are a lot of stretches and exercises meant to help with the IT Band. Have you looked into/done any of those?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I worked for a podiatrist for several years and am pretty anti-orthotic because of it, they seemed to be the quick fix diagnosis for anything. I found a DPM that is holistic and uses several alternatives prior to orthotics. I've found that my knee pain, IT Band issues, etc in running had nothing to do with my flat feet, but more so from lack of cross training, muscle imbalances, and stretching rather than my feet.

I also read and use the ChiRunning style, which addresses form for many running injuries. May try thinking outside the box.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Custom made orthotics, made to a specific prescription suitably to your feet would not have been cheap I would guess. A good podiatrist should include in their aftercare service, some "tweaking" any orthotics may need.

I had a pair of custom made CAD/CAM orthotics including Footscan assessment etc etc... To be honest I didn't think they were worth all the money they cost.

What helped me getting rid of running injuries was simply to change the way I run. I used to be a heel striker but now I'm a midfoot runner.

Maybe have a look at "pose running" (just google it), or have a look at pose running videos on U-Tube and learn about the theory behind it. It was worth the effort for me to basically to re-train "how" I run.
  • babyfatbegone
    babyfatbegone Posts: 42 Member
    I use orthotics. They were custom made and they were not cheap. I love them and without them I wouldn't be able to work out. I had to get them due to crooked bones in my feet as well as planter fasciitis. I have just started getting back into working out since September because I needed them made. Yes, they needed adjustments, but they work well now. I don't have the pain I used to have and I can actually run again. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the input! Honestly, I am guilty of not stretching as much as I should! I just got my orthotics a week ago. As for the cost, 80% was covered by my insurance company.

So it's not interconnected but mostly just an IT ban thing? (I need orthotics anyway. I have majorly flat feet!)
This discussion has been closed.