Tried wedding gowns for the first time, NOT GOOD...

lal73
lal73 Posts: 116
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost about 10lbs since Jan 1. Im 5'7" and weigh in at 167lbs.....I tried wedding dresses on for the first time yesterday, and the Bra Fat and Back Fat was really a problem....I thought i was doing good, but i dont even notice the 10lb loss at all....

The wedding dresses look so good in the magazines on all the 125lb girls...but when i try them on, its a different story....

:cry:

totally discouraged....

Replies

• Don't be discouraged!! There are so many great dresses out there, that I bet you will be able to find something beautiful at your current weight. And if you lose more before the big day, it will fit even better! You may have to try some other styles. But I weighed more than you do currently when I got married, and I still felt like a princess! :) You can do it!!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Its hard to think about it when we see the 125 lb gals in wedding dresses, as females we can be pretty hard on ourselves and involuntarily compare ourselves to what we see.

Let us embrace where you are now; and dresses that fit you.

You will be radiant on your special day - with radical acceptance the body shape you were blessed with!

Smile :flowerforyou:
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    10lbs since Jan 1st is awesome! When is your wedding? If you have your heart set on a certain style of dress and you're just trying them on now, it usually means that there's still time to stick with the meal plan and exercise.

However, I've gone to some weddings where the bride is 300+ pounds and still looks beautiful, so maybe the dress just isn't the right style for you? I can't wear a skirt that ends at my calves because it makes my legs look short and stumpy!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Wedding dress shopping is tough. One of the things I had to get my head wrapped around is not to look at the size on the tag of the wedding dress! The dress shop owner told me that most women have to buy their dress anywhere from one size to four sizes up in order for it to fit the way you want it to. You end up tailoring it to your body.

When I got married I was a size 10 -- the dress I had to order was a size 16! Mine was six sizes bigger than my size!! But once they took it all in and tailored it to fit my shape it looked amazing. I had a laced crossed back and even though I know I had that terrible back fat-- once it was fit for me, you couldn't see any of that at all.

Good luck, don't get discouraged! Congratulations on your 10lbs and upcoming wedding :)
    ♥share
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Don't give up!! There are so many awesome gowns that fit all diferent shapes and sizes! I'm one of them! I was shorter and definitely heavier than I wanted to be on my wedding day (and trying on, too), and I found some amazing dresses - one that I absolutely loved and felt beautiful in! Try on all different styles to find what fits you right... once you find the right style of dress, then try on different options in that shape and you'll get it!!! Then if you lose weight, you can always get it taken in - but if you don't (like I wanted and didn't do well on), you'll still know that you'll look gorgeous in what you picked! Good luck and Congrats! 10 lbs is awesome!!!!
  • Sounds like you have a lot going on that really isn't good from the start.

Are you only losing weight so you'll look good in a wedding dress that was tailored to fit a 125 pound woman? Was the dress you tried on tailored for you? 10 pounds is a lot but what is your body fat percentage? Are you making a lifestyle change or just want to lose some weight for one day and then revert to the nutritional habits that got you here?

If you are happy with your self and just want to look good in a wedding dress, why not have a wedding dress made to fit you that looks good on you? If you want to make a lifestyle change and your wedding is your goal date then maybe the wedding should be set to a more realistic date for reaching your goal. Check your motivations and ask yourself what is more important: being happy with me or looking like someone else?

Timbo.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Do not get discouraged, you will be a beautiful Bride. Use this as motivation to keep going strong. I see your goal is 150 by July, I assume your wedding is in July, you can do it, you have already lost ten, and have 5 months to lose the rest, I’m betting you will blow right by 150.

Good luck and keep working, it will happen for you.
  • Hi.. first of all congratulations on your 10 pound weight loss! That is a fantastic accomplishment and you are doing it! I know how difficult the wedding dress hunt can be..you go to try on a dress and they bring these huge clips out because they can't even close it . I hated that.. and almost ran out of the shop never to return.
    I went throught this some years ago and it can be discouraging but you will find the right dress and you will continue to see results as you work towards your weight loss goals. When I first tried on my wedding dress I was twenty five pounds heavier than I was on my wedding day and it was taken in a lot by the big day. While I did not look like the models in the mags, and still had some back fat.. though it was greatly reduced.. I was happy with the overall picture and due to all the working out I could dance all night at my wedding ! So many benefits...
    Please keep going on your journey and give yourself a great big hug because you are doing an awesome job and I have no doubt that you will be a beautiful & happy bride!
  • lal73
    You guys are all so inspiring...thank you so much for all the great feedback!!!! CHIN UP!!!
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    I would say you haven't found the right dress yet. Keep looking! You'll find a dress that makes you feel beautiful. :)
  • lal73
    Sounds like you have a lot going on that really isn't good from the start.

Are you only losing weight so you'll look good in a wedding dress that was tailored to fit a 125 pound woman? Was the dress you tried on tailored for you? 10 pounds is a lot but what is your body fat percentage? Are you making a lifestyle change or just want to lose some weight for one day and then revert to the nutritional habits that got you here?

If you are happy with your self and just want to look good in a wedding dress, why not have a wedding dress made to fit you that looks good on you? If you want to make a lifestyle change and your wedding is your goal date then maybe the wedding should be set to a more realistic date for reaching your goal. Check your motivations and ask yourself what is more important: being happy with me or looking like someone else?

Timbo.

No,, not just for the wedding....this is a life style change....i just get frustrated sometimes...
This discussion has been closed.