scales.....

Options
i need to buy a new scale, is there a better type to buy or such like that?

i havent ever bought a scale, and have always just used the OLD OLD OLD one that is either 5 pounds too heavy or 5 pounds too light :-p

so is there a better one to get, or should i just go in and grab one and bring it home so i can stand on it 12 times a day :-p

Replies

• littlekimmyishy
    littlekimmyishy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i need to buy a new scale, is there a better type to buy or such like that?

i havent ever bought a scale, and have always just used the OLD OLD OLD one that is either 5 pounds too heavy or 5 pounds too light :-p

so is there a better one to get, or should i just go in and grab one and bring it home so i can stand on it 12 times a day :-p
  • mrsthao81
    mrsthao81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have gone through so many scales, and just returned them, digital scales, one minute your one pound under the other minute your one pound over...so I went with the regular scale and it tells me the same weight everytime I used it...
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I like a digital scale. Then I know an exact number. I don't know what brand I bought, but it tells me every 2/10ths. (6.4 lbs, 8.2 lbs) It also saves the weigh ins for 2 people so after I weigh myself, it'll tell me how much I've gone up or down since my last weigh in. I bought it at Wal*Mart for around $30.00.

I also heard that you should weigh yourself in the morning, after you go to the bathroom, naked, because that is your true weight. And then you can't blame your shoes or your jeans for weighing 5 or 10 pounds too much; you know it's all you! :)
  • liztur
    liztur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As a previous buying manager for a large chain store - let me share this info with you from my own training manual. You should buy a good quality scale and the most important thing is to place the scale on an even surface - and as you know, weigh around the same time each day with similar clothing. Otherwise the choice is really personal although I would suggest a solid sort of scale rather than some of the very flimsy fashion statement scales.

Variable features include:

Digital display (numbers)
    Analogue display (dial)
    Capacity may vary from 100 kgs to 150 kgs (and lbs equivalent)
    Graduation (markings) may vary from 100gms to 1kg (and lbs equivalent)
    Guarantees should be checked for each individual item and are dependant on the manufacturer. (generally 3 years)

The finer the graduation marking the more accurate the scale - as unless we are buying a highly technical weighing devise - there is variation in toleranceson all scales - tolerance is usually one marking up or down - so if you have 100gm markings the variation is much lower than say when you have 500 gms markings.

I do not think that you will see this anywhere in any manufacturers promotional material - BUT the worst place to keep your scale is in the bathroom! This is because of moisture which can interfere with the weighing results.

Some other words of advice - never place on a carpet or any other uneven type of floor covering. Set the machine to zero before using. Stand still on the machine! Stand in the same spot on the machine and hold yourself in a balanced position.

Having said all of the above there are some incredible machines out there - it is very much a question of how much you want to spend and how accurate you need to be (for me I am quite happy to see changes of 1 lb or 1/2 lb - someone else may want mush smaller increments)

One of the best names in the world is Soehnle - take a look at their website - www.soehnle.de

Also go to your favorite home shopping sites and evaluate their offerings in terms of price/quality/warranty/graduations

Hopes this helps! Liz
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have a digital homedics scale its pretty good I weigh the same on it as I do on my doctors scale and it was about $19.99. Hope this helps.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Didnt realize how old this post is
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    You may want to check the sequence you have sorted your posts at... looks like you may have oldest posts at the top!