Why did I gain?!?

Options
I have been back at this since Jan.1st and by last week had lost a total of 4.8lbs, so I was excited for this weeks weigh-in, only to find out I have gained 2lbs! I seriously don't get it! I have 1 cheat day a week and I admit, sometimes I go a little crazy but not that crazy! I know your suppose to eat back your exercise calories and I try to eat back at least half so that my net calories are always at least 1200..Anyone have any advice to whatever I'm obviously doing wrong??

Replies

• iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    maybe you gained muscle weight, or its your time of the month.. I always gain around the time due to water weight and bloat..
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When you have your 'cheat' day how many calories roughly do you eat?

There are 3500 calories in 1lb of fat so in order to have gained 2lb you would have had to have overeaten by 7000 calories....is that possible?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What do you eat on your cheat day? If you're eating fast food or pre-packaged food, it'll be high in sodium, which can cause water weight gain. You can counteract that by drinking extra water on those days. As someone already mentioned, if it's your time of the month, that will cause water weight gain as well.
  • aschroyer
    Options
    Get rid of "cheat day" otherwise you will have to make up what you eat on other days, if you want to see results :)
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of days of very high sodium. I see you didn't track on Superbowl Sunday, so I'd be willing to guess that was a cheat day, so you were likely well over on sodium then too. You likely put on a couple of pounds of water, which the good news is that it's easy to drop. Drink tons of water the next couple of days and try to keep your sodium around the 1500 mark.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    You may not be doing anything wrong. There could be many reasons you gained. You could be retaining water for one example. When exercising you are building muscle. Don't just look at the scale, look at how your clothes are fitting. Are they getting lose? Do you have more energy on a daily basis? Then you don't have anything to worry about. My third week in I gained two pounds. I looked back on the week and tried to find anything different that I had done and changed it. You won't always lose every week. Some weeks will be awesome, some you'll gain a little and some you'll not change at all. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's an every week occurrence.

Good luck in your journey to becoming healthier. :)
  • MonicaBenavidez
    MonicaBenavidez Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I understand you have a cheat day, but maybe you need to cut it back to a cheat meal. If it's fast food, they have a ton a sodium in most entrees/food. Even though it's a cheat day, do you still track your calories for it? If you don't, it'd be a great idea. :-) It's likely water weight from sodium or sore muscles, etc. Don't let it get you down- move forward! Best of luck to you.
  • tungaiunwa
    tungaiunwa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? whats your resting metabolic rate? probably was salt. when i have a heavy salt intake sometimes takes me a week to reverse the damage.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Maybe you're gaining water weight? My weight has been going up and down all week, despite drinking lots of water, eating decent, and exorcising. You could come to find to have lost those two pounds in a few days (since weight tends to fluctuate anyway).
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Get rid of "cheat day" otherwise you will have to make up what you eat on other days, if you want to see results :)

I agree, cheat day might be something to save for the future.
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. I gained 2 lbs and now I have my TOM. And it could be that darn salt it happens. But cheer up you'll lose it and maybe even more than that 2 pounds. :flowerforyou:
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Perhaps don't get rid of them altogether. But I would get rid of the once a week "cheat days" . Perhaps to once a month, or once every two months or something. That can throw a person off mighty quick!