Elliptical which workout?

Options
Ok MFP Pals, First let me say, to all of you who workout on the Elliptical Machine, I bow down to your talent. That dang machine is EVIL. With that said now let me say that I am bound and determined to get through an hour at some point in the not to distant future. (keep in mind that we all view time differently) LOL.

Anyway back on track, so which workouts do you do? How many calories do you burn on adv? What makes you do that machine? (kidding)

Input bring it on.

Replies

• jenniffer86
    jenniffer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is the only machine I work out on ... :P

because when I ran on the tredmill It hurt my knee to much.. so props to those ppl! haha
    I use the manual option, and put it to resistance lvl. of about 10-11. >> I hope to bring that up, I only started about a month ago.

And i"ll do that at about 5.5 miles and hr speed, for 35 min.

Good luck!! When I first started, I barely got to 10min.
    It gets easier with time..
    x
  • BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options
    I do the "weight loss" option and its a 28 minute workout with a 5 minute cool down. Last time I burnt 321 calories. When I started I would only burn 270ish. I love using this machine! I also supplement it with weight lifting. Arms and Legs are alternated every other day and I do abs every day.

I've lost weight, but seeing myself everyday I can't tell much a difference yet.
  • c_conway
    c_conway Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical machine in my home and I love it. I work out on it about 4 times a week for at least 35 minutes and at times up to 45 minutes. I usually put it on level 4 and go w/it. My machine allows me to take my pulse and I burn about 400-450 calories per the machine. I feel great afterwards!
  • alisont91
    Options
    I go on the elliptical everyday for 30min as half of my workout. I burn anywhere from 300-340cal. I usually choose a workout that has a lot of variation on the slope. So ones that look like 2 mountains, first because it makes the time go by faster to do something different each 2 minutes and 2nd because it works more of a variety of my muscles. I also usually set my resistance to 7 when I'm on the high parts and 5 when I'm on the low. i hope you conquer your Elliptical goals someday! Good luck!
    -Alison
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I usually set it manually and vary the resistence. I guess I'm a "panzy" cuz I can only handle about 6-7 on the resistence. I try to go 30 min if I've done other exercise but if not then 45-60+ minutes. Mine has some preset calorie burns but I usually have to modify them because of the resistence issue so I don't mess with them anymore. Guess I don't have enough weight to push down that hard anymore:) and I don't want my legs any bigger even if it is muscle! Keep going!

I never go by calories burned on my machine though because it doesn't know my age, weight, etc. I go by whatever MFP says which is lower so I don't over estimate my calories burned.
  • DarthBubbles
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked about the elliptical, I struggled with it myself and then ended up giving up...might have to give it another go now!

@bethvandenberg: Your Boxer is gorgeous!
  • clentner
    Options
    After weight training for 60-75 minutes, I do the "Fat Loss" Program, Level 3 or 4, for 30-45 minutes, depending on how my body feels. I did 45 minutes at Level 4 today and burned 548 calories, according to the machine.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I usually put it on manual mode, set my resistance and incline, and usually burn about 900 or so calories in an hour (or so the machine says! lol). An hour feels like a long time in the beginning, but once I get the first 15/20 minutes out of the way, I just tell myself, "OK, I only have to do that another 4/3 times!" and I just pump myself up to keep going.

My only complaint is that as I do go to a gym, I have to put my weight in every time, which takes forever (as it presets to 150 and only goes up in increments of 1), and it is preset at 30 minutes (and only goes up in increments of 1) so it takes me a while to move it to 60....I hope that if I buy one for home in the future, it will keep my weight in the setting....lol

Lately, with all the "new years resolutions" people at the gym, it is harder to find an open elliptical, so this week I started using a cross trainer (which is like a combination of elliptical and stepper-in my opinion)...
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    @bethvandenberg: Your Boxer is gorgeous!
    [/quote]

Well thank you. He's my baby. He's always laying on or near me. I love that square headed dog!
  • jligon92
    Options
    I do a setting that alternates every couple mintues between mild and very hard it looks like .I.I.I.I.I and I can never go more than 30minutes its just too challenging. but good luck and I hope you make it and hour and youve inspired me to try.
  • MsTrudy66
    MsTrudy66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth! I know I replied personally, but wanted to add a few more comments. I first chose it because I have osteoarthritis in my knees so I need low impact exercise options. Walking and biking are harder on the knees than the elliptical. There are 2 kinds of ellipticals at the Y. I choose the one that has foot pedals that don't go vertically as much, more horizontally. I choose the manual option and start at an incline of 6 or 7 and increase later to 8 or 9. I start at a resistance level 15-18. I end up on 20-21. I usually work at the fastest pace I can, to fast rock or pop music and the machine will tell me to slow down. The first 15 minutes are the hardest, then at 30 minutes it's a breeze, like breaking through a wall and the endorphins feel great! LOL Probably TMI, but sounded like you really wanted details. There ya go!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im going to get to that mark soon I hope. Today's goal 15 min. :)
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi! I LOVE the elliptical!!! I cant run for ish, not sure why, maybe its all the extra baggage and my legs get sore easily on a treadmill so the elliptical is perfect for me... I am usually anywhere from 58-70 RMS on it and my heart rate is always in fitness mode and I can go without stopping for my whole workout. I first started out at 30 mins, then after about 3 weeks in I pushed myself and I do 45 mins now. Sometimes I will switch it up though, like 40 mins on the elliptical and another 15-20 mins fast walking on the treadmill (still keeping my heart rate where it needs to be).

Walking on the treadmill is kind of a new thing I started in the last week. It REALLY works my calves which is good because thus far I havent found a machine in the gym to work them...

The elliptical calories burned at my gym are pretty far off thats why I love my polar HRM. I typically burn about 450 calories during a 45 mins workout on the elliptical. The machines can be anywhere from 60-100 calories higher then my HRM so I am really glad I invested in one.

Plus when I go hiking (which is an awesome workout BTW) I know exactly how many calories I burned.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This was me one month ago! I was ready to quit after 10 minutes but now I can do an hour on the interval setting! Once I get past the first 30-35 minutes the rest is cake and it makes a huge difference what I'm listening to on my iPod too. Certain songs really get me pumped!
  • sierramist13
    sierramist13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i do a hour total but break it into two 30 min workouts with a short min or 2 water break in between... always do the interval training looks alittle like ..ll..ll..ll..ll.. go hard on the low and harder on the high.. it burns and i always want to quit but remind myself it's only 1min incriments and only for 30 mins! the 2nd half, is kind of random, sometimes hill, manual, depending how i feel.. using the bodybugg in total i burn about 500-700 calories in the hour...
    i enjoy the elliptical but if you have access to one, i'd recommend the precor AMT (adaptive motion trainer).. it's easier on the knees (one of my problems) and it was one majority suggested i use to burn more calories .. as a beginner, i could only do 3 mins. you get used to it and build up over time!
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ill go on the elliptical now and then but def not for as long as half these people say they go on it! Im honestly not a huge fan of the elliptical. for me personally, I just dont feel like it is challenging Im more of a jogger, treadmill type of girl when i workout @ the gym. Jogging burns more calories and keeps my heartrate up better for me. but when i do get on it, I up the incline and use the resistance as much as possible, to keep my heartrate going. the only time i actually get on the elliptical for an subtancial amt of time is if im watching a paticular tv show (the tv is right infront of it and its the only workout i can do while still paying attention to the tv!) and when the commercials come on, I get on the treadmill and Run everytime. adding that interval of running really helps keep my heartrate up while im on the elliptical! I dont paticulary enjoy staying on the elliptical for a lengthy period of time. I like to get on for 10-15 min, jog awhile, get back on for another 10 min, jog again and so fourth! keeps it more interesting and the interval training keeps the heartrate going better since your switching constantly
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would recommened doing that instead of staying on the elliptical the entire time unless thats what you actually want to do. It wont seem so dreadful, keeps it more interesting and you will probably get a better burn from switching on and off machines like that neways and more of an all-around total body workout