missing my bread

Options
Oh me, I miss my bread. I love to make homemade wheat bread but I'm sure it has a lot of things I don't need. I usually make it half wheat and half white. Even the bought bread has more calories and sodium than I thought. Do you get used to not eating as much of the good stuff???

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't deny myself of any one thing, I just moderate the bad things as much as possible. Looking back, I've had bread in some form almost every single day...so, no. I don't miss it at all. I just work harder to fit it in to my nutrition and exercise plan.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    100% whole wheat or whole grain. I don't miss it because I eat it every day!

Edit: couple of my favorite brands are Dave's Killer Bread and the Silverhills Bakery. I'd sure love to try yours though :)
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I think the reason it's working for me this time is I don't deny myself anything. Every time I tried to lose weight before I always cut thing completely out of my diet and eventually fell face first into ice cream, chocolate, whatever! So what has changed is that if I'm craving something I work it into my calories, not every day mind you, but maybe once a week. It is a life long, forever journey so if you think you can give up your homemade bread for the rest of your life then do it, I know for me, I plan on living a very long time and I'm pretty sure I can't say never indefinitely.
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have to have my bread. I buy Trader Joe's Sprouted Bread. It has a nutty flavor and I love it. Perfect for a sandwich at lunchtime.
  • loseit4good52
    Options
    Talk about missing bread! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease, so I can't have anything with Gluten in it. Its been very hard to give up . Sometimes I give in and eat one slice and I pay for it with a very bloated stomach and just feeling awful. The longer you stay away from it the easier it gets. Hang in there, your body will thank you for it! :flowerforyou:
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like to make my recipes healthier instead of giving them up if you go look around I'm betting you could find a better for you bread recipe to make.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I buy 8 grain whole grain bread from costco and the slices are huge so I use one and cut it in half to make a sandwich everyday for lunch and a slice for toast when I'm craving it. It's okay to still have it, just don't eat more than you really need. :smile:
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat bread on many days (not all) and have still lost every week so far. Balance is important. I just do not eat as much bread as i used to, I eat A LOT of vegetables to fill myself up, and then I can always work some bread, and even butter,, into my menus. I bake my own sometimes. You can enter the recipe on this site and figure out how much is in a slice, or how big you want to make your slice. :) Look around for lower calorie recipes, and maybe change up what you bake.
  • Mary92881
    Options
    Try a natural whole wheat bread (in moderation, of course) or I absolutely LOVE the La Tortilla Factory wraps. The tomato basil ones are to die for, plus they are low in calories and high in fiber!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    www.mypyramid.gov

The food pyramid includes whole grains on it as a food group. So, actually, you should be balancing them into your diet. So a few (1 or 2) servings of whole grain bread a day is good for you. Whole grains give you lots of energy which will help you when you exercise, and have lots of fiber which will help you feel full and satisfied a lot longer. It's the refined stuff that you really don't need in your diet, but even once in a while they are ok as a treat. Besides, if you deny yourself something that you love you'll probably end up cheating in a BIG way. Best to work it into your daily habits in small doses. Good luck to you!
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Some very good replies ... I have been eating a little whole wheat and I like it, but miss the homemade buns. So, I went ahead and have it in the bread machine now. Afterward I put the recipe in and it doesn't look like it will actually be that bad in #'s. So we are going to have some fresh hot dog and hamburger buns. And I'm going to enjoy one .... I made it half wheat and half white....