I keep going over my sugar without eating junk... HELP!

Options
Hey;

I eat fruit through the day, things like pears, apples, oranges, plums, berries, kiwi etc... I never eat 'oversize' fruit, I stick to small and medium pieces.... But even when I only eat two or three pieces of fruit, I wind up way over my sugar limit for the day. I don't eat junk food; that is why I am eating the fruit... can anyone tell me, is this constant over-sugar going to have a negative effect?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If it's sugar from fruits or milk I don't worry about it. Last week I was getting almost twice my recommended sugar and I still lost 2 pounds. Natural sugar is a little different than refined sugar. You shouldn't go crazy, and there are certain times of the day when eating sugar, even natural sugar, is better than other times (right after you wake up and immediately after working out are the only times you should eat sugar).
  • lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Its natural sugar! Not processed. I go over daily because of eating fruit & dairy products.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    The government just issued new guidelines for sugar. No more than 5 teaspoons of sugar a day for women. NOT including sugar from fruits and veggies. So you should be okay.
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    You don't really have to worry about natural sugar intake. It's the processed and refined sugars that you have to limit. ;) If all of your sugar intake is natural then you should be fine consuming up to about 80g of it. If it's refined/processed you should keep under 20g. ;)
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I've noticed this is a habit, my sugar being over... but not from eating junk food. I'm glad you have all set my mind at ease!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars I don't even worry about.

If you want, also increase your fiber intake to match the increase in sugar. It'll help to regulate your blood sugar levels.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the fruit you want! And don't ever worry about the sugars from it. It's natural and healthy!
  • thehobbyist
    Options
    This comes up all the time. The site is wacky when it comes to counting sugar, so I just eat what I know to be right and avoid white sugar and HFCS and just ignore the number.