grape nuts?

Options
I can still remember those commercials with John Denver....anyways, since starting MFP, I have gone back to eating grape nuts almost every morning for breakfast - I love them! I have so much energy to start my day and I feel full! Of course, they have a lot of carbs and sodium - anyway - what do you think about grape nuts? Are they a good choice for a healthy body and healthy eating style - I know very little about proper nutrition like many of the professionals or self-taught experts, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for Kashi Go Lean, but I do love grape nuts mixed into yogurt. I see nothing wrong with this.
  • EAMac
    EAMac Posts: 22
    Options
    Bump
  • donby
    donby Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My husband just bought some last night because he has always liked them. I was amazed at how high cal they are - 200 calores in 1/2 cup! But they do have tons of nutrients including quite a bit of iron which I am usuallly low on and I have had a problem with anemia in the past so I ate some today. I don't think I would eat them every day though since they are high in calories.
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    I bought them after reading the nutrition label and they seemed really healthy. However, I didn't like them unfortunately. I love love love some Kashi Go Lean. It really helps me up my fiber intake first thing in the morning.
  • JackieBea
    Options
    Anything is OK in moderation. Personally, I can't buy cereals like this because they are yummy and sweet and I won't stop at 1/2 cup - but I wasn't built with an "off" switch for my hunger. :-)
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Anything is OK in moderation. Personally, I can't buy cereals like this because they are yummy and sweet and I won't stop at 1/2 cup - but I wasn't built with an "off" switch for my hunger. :-)

Actually grape nuts only has 3g of sugar per half cup....I generally have a full cup for breakfast and full cup of skim milk - yes, it is about a 500 calorie breakfast, but I usually eat the other 2 meals low calories and occassionaly have a snack - I just watch the carbs since the grape nuts have lots of carbs - and if I know I am going out or wanting a meal with high carbs that day, I will only eat just the half cup
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    grape nuts make me feel like im chewing on gravel in milk....they are also ver hard to eat if you have dentures
  • jennyschultze
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 cereal is better than grape nuts and they taste the same. They have 190 calories for 1/2 cup, 200 mg of sodium, 0 sugar, and my trainer says its better for me. You can buy Ezekiel cereal at Whole Foods if you have one around you. I wonder if you could buy it online if you don't have a Whole Foods near you.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I watched a program on the making of grape nuts years ago. Basically, it's really hard dehydrated bread. I'd rather have a quality piece of toast.