TMI?: Discussion about Period and Weight Loss

Options
TMI: but I really am curious about your experiences and need feedback.

I got my period today. this is really significant because it's the first time i've gotten my period in two years WITHOUT medical intervention. bottom line, i was too fat before and my body just stopped. i've lost about 30 pounds since then and my period just came back all on its own! has this happened before to you?

the second thing i was wondering about - do you lose weight during your periods? or do you just maintain and wait it out and see the scale start going down again after it ends?

Replies

• MaryDreamer
    Options
    Great topic! I think we all gain during that time so I don't bother weighing myself that week. Hope that helps?
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weights loss.

generally though i find you are more likely to gain weight during that week because of many factors such as

*water weight
    *fatique
    *cravings

and your general "blah" feeling
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    avoid the scale that week you'll ust get disappointed
  • marenbobarren
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from!! I have a disease called PCOS which basically means I never get my period and one of the biggest contributing factors of it is being overweight. Congrats on your weight loss and I hope it helps trigger more periods for you as you continue to lose! :)
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain weight. Sometimes as much as 5-7 pounds. I know it's mostly water weight and bad eating habits during that week.
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Usually for me I tend to gain a pound or two around that time, if I dont gain that week I just maintain my previous weight. It is frustrating but if you just prepare yourself and know that it most likely will not be a great week you will get used to it and it wont bother you anymore!
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have had one so far since I started this and didn't gain but did lose a little in the inches. I also did manage to keep the cravings within my calorie limits though and kept my water intake up so that could be why.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, that water weight is a b****. Try taking a magnesium supplement that week (the whole week of your period). It truly helps with bloating. I saw it on Dr. Oz. I now take it everyday and I never have bloating problems anymore. Here is a link to that part of the episode:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/6-health-plagues-women-pt-2

Parts 1 and 3 of that same episode are also eye-opening.
  • HeartsTurtle
    Options
    I had mine last week and I unfortunately gained a little bit of weight. But now that it's over, I've lost it all and then some! So don't get discouraged if the scale moves in the wrong direction this week... chances are once it's gone you'll get right back on track!!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I gain a good... 7lbs or so! I never ever weigh now around the week before my period and the week of my period... I think the worst time I gained 10lbs (I was doing a lot of plane travel and living off junk). I guess it is water retention as I bloat like you wouldn't believe, find it hard to drink enough water and crave salty food! It's crazy because when I did gain ten pounds in scale weight, my clothes still fit fine so I don't know where it went!

I expect it now though so i'm not too surprised or upset when I see it. The few days following my period I lose a good few pounds a day!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i don't lose weight unless i work out hard i retain so much water that i can have a five pound weight gain i have to really work hard not to show a wieght loss as far as getting one because you lose weight i could not tell you i"m starting to trough the change mine comes when ever and i"m fatter than you if you stop because your fat that i just dont know
  • melaka
    melaka Posts: 18
    Options
    thanks everybody, i feel much better.. and yes, I do have PCOS. I just didn't want to go into all kinds of detail about it. :)

whew! I was worried i was just hitting a plateau or something and turns out it's my period, which i haven't gotten in ages because of PCOS, which i guess, in the end, turns out to be a blessing, isn't it?