Carribean Meals-In need of help!

Options
My family on both sides are from Central America....Belize and Costa Rica! When we get together its all about the Fried Plantain, Coconut Curry Chicken, Stew Beans, Fry Jack, Bread Pudding ETC....Calories do not agree with this delicious and rich diet! anyone have an ideas on how I can stick close to the foods I love and still have success??

Replies

• jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You can call me and I will come and eat it for you!!! LOL That should solve YOUR problem with it maybe not mine!!!! hahaha :)
  • dsb78
    dsb78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I posted this question a while back, but I did not get any response. My family is from the caribbean as well, so I was trying to figure out the same thing. What I do is just cut the portion sizes and skip out the fried stuff. Hopefully someone else can respond with other ideas.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. My husband is from Jamaica. The food has such wonderful flavors. I always live by everything in moderation. Watch your portions. Eat slow, savor each bite and enjoy.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I actually live in teh Caribbean...in Barbados to be exact...I've tried using MFP to guesstimate calorie counts for the more popular foods, then based on that I just try to reduce my portions accordingly. e.g I had no idea that rice and peas had so much damn calories...I was shocked....so now I just eat less of it and add more veggies

As for fried plantain you can boil or even bake them.... or just only have 2 pieces and savour the flavour...
  • Actuality
    Options
    How often does your family get together? I am from Bermuda and hubby fam from Guyana and he is Jamaican so naturally when we get together there is a great big delicious fattening feast. No matter how much I say I will control myself it is hard. I just take it as a day to enjoy. We dont do it too often and I don't cook like that alot at home. Just occasionally.
    You have to rewire your mind. I rarely make the macs and cheese, brownstew fish and I haven't fried a plaintain is so long. Those are now treats to us. I do curry chickpeas and healthier versions of fish.
  • NellyDH
    Options
    Portion control if you must have a taste. Moderate, moderate, moderate.
  • etroupe
    Options
    Try to eat before the get together and drinks lots of water while you are there. It will cut down on how much you eat which will mean less calories but still able to enjoy the feast. : )
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like that answer LOL! I will help you out you can't eat all of it by yourself.
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    Try to eat before the get together and drinks lots of water while you are there. It will cut down on how much you eat which will mean less calories but still able to enjoy the feast. : )
    WATER!!! But Ginger Beer is all around me!
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can call me and I will come and eat it for you!!! LOL That should solve YOUR problem with it maybe not mine!!!! hahaha :)
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. If I am craving plantain, then I have to bake or boil it. I use the crock pot to cook things like curry chicken and goat. it makes a big difference in my calorie intake. hence, I eat the same foods, but I just prepared them differently, so its kinder on my waistline.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i honestly know nothing about Carribean food other than i like to eat it =] but if the coconut curry is made with coconut milk - maybe try a lighter version?